Nissan Z vs Toyota Supra

Which one gets your vote?

• Total voters

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
this is something a lot of you are overlooking.

is the Supra a better car? Of course it is. You don’t get against BMW power & technology. They are a top shelf OEM.
Competition is great. I don't want everyone to drive the same car. At the same time, we were just bombarded for the last year with "Zupra Killer" propaganda. It's really looking like it's not. I think we can revel in that, and call those people out.
Sponsored

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
It's almost like they put a higher horsepower engine into a 15-20 year old chassis, coupled it with a merc transmission.

Serious question though, why did it take them this long to even come out with this? Honestly if this car came out sometime around 2015-2016, it would be a zero question insta-purchase for some people.
I'm really not surprised by all of this. Nissan is not exactly super healthy financially, they are staring at another dinosaur in the GT-R that will require a significant R&D, engineering, manufacturing budget to build and launch the R36, the timing is really questionable in both of these needing a refresh cycle at the same time however i think they did the bare minimum for the Z to be able to sell a bunch, satisfy the Z faithful & fanbois, and help fund the GT-R efforts, which is a vehicle that likely has a lot larger profit margin. If you don't execute a joint development venture like Toyota and need to manage costs, this is pretty much what you could expect.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
There were people saying, and AMS deleted it. I'm not exactly sure I'd be surprised. AMS is right down the street and I've never seen one around (clearly that means nothing).

It's possible AMS is under some embargo and wasn't supposed to share, and that's why it got deleted, but.. Streisand Effect.
I think it's likely the second case where the data was supposed to be embargoed and they weren't supposed to share.

I don't see any benefit from them faking the results. It alienates a potential customer base in Z owners, and it lowers their reputation and credibility overall. Not saying the results aren't fake, but that it doesn't really make sense to fake the data.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
I think it's likely the second case where the data was supposed to be embargoed and they weren't supposed to share.

I don't see any benefit from them faking the results. It alienates a potential customer base in Z owners, and it lowers their reputation and credibility overall. Not saying the results aren't fake, but that it doesn't really make sense to fake the data.
The results that AMS got from the Z seems in-line with what other people have gotten from their RWD Q50/Q60 Redsport (the 400hp model), granted many factors can cause variation in dyno results, but from what I've managed to find most of the Q50/Q60 Redsport also tend to dyno at slightly over 350whp.

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
Not saying the results aren't fake, but that it doesn't really make sense to fake the data.
Because when you are marketing a car as a "Zupra Killer", anything less than 382hp wouldn't have made much sense when the rest of your overweight 20 year old chassis, with it's Merc transmission and open-diff makes for a harder sell.

Maybe? Just guessing really.

Japanese makers are always coy about hp numbers, though usually they underrate them for various reasons.

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
Because when you are marketing a car as a "Zupra Killer"
Did Nissan actually come out and say that or is it just internet labeling it that way?

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Posting this because I’ve always liked the 240z, and because what Camissa tells between 2:30 & 3:30 reveals a point in history that relates to the Supra MKV.

On a personal note, what I don’t like about the new Z is the linear rear-downslope of the cabin, which in the 240z-280z generations was rounded. That is a feature I like in my all-time favorite sports cars, like the Jaguar E-Type, Toyota 2000GT, and of course the Supra MKV.

https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/threads/history-of-z-as-told-by-hagerty.1178/

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
Posting this because I’ve always liked the 240z, and because what Camissa tells between 2:30 & 3:30 reveals a point in history that relates to the Supra MKV.

On a personal note, what I don’t like about the new Z is the linear rear-downslope of the cabin, which in the 240z-280z generations was rounded. That is a feature I like in my all-time favorite sports cars, like the Jaguar E-Type, Toyota 2000GT, and of course the Supra MKV.

https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/threads/history-of-z-as-told-by-hagerty.1178/

The first gen Z is also the only Z that isn't a fat ass.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Due to the fact that it basically kept up once it got traction and trapped just 1 mph slower than the Supra, I think it might dyno very similarly to the Supra, meaning a bit over 400 HP. That's my guess.
AMS dyno’d it at 356 to the wheels. That’s about an 11% drivetrain loss. It has no chance against the 2021 Supra stock for stock.

-RJM

E570DAC2-B372-4504-9C4B-27060251087D.jpeg

09E6C1EF-05D3-4670-92B8-020C8D272FEB.jpeg