• Total voters

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I've learned and appreciated so much from Youtube but there's also so much clickbait.

I wish there was an Amazon/Yelp-like review system that allowed viewers to vote on how accurate a title is to it's content and how accurate the information is.

Way too many morons trying to get rich quick by producing utter crap.

OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I love when people say Toyota made a manual Supra because of the Z. Because they can just take a car, COMPLETELY rip it's guts out, develop a bespoke transmission case, redo the interior, test it, go through all the certified crap, appease the EPA, all within a year? JUST because of Nissan??

Yeah..... no.

Toyota made it, because their buyers asked for it. Nothing more, nothing less. And it's been in development long before the Z was announced.
That's only partially true according to all the insider people. Yes, R&D had started way back in 2019 with several working prototypes according to Tada. However, it was stuck in limbo. Not too long ago, I believe even @A70TTR said something along the lines of the new Z being the final driving force behind Toyota's reasoning for releasing the 6-speed manual.

Last edited:

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I've learned and appreciated so much from Youtube but there's also so much clickbait.

I wish there was an Amazon/Yelp-like review system that allowed viewers to vote on how accurate a title is to it's content and how accurate the information is.

Way too many morons trying to get rich quick by producing utter crap.
There was, it's called the dislike button. I say was because for some reason, probably hurt feelings, YouTube took away the ability to see how many dislikes a video has. So now we have to give the f***head a click and possibly money to find out for ourselves that we just wasted X minutes of our life and "supported" their bullshit.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
So, "the perfect in between car" is everything but. Not as fun as the cheaper BRZ/86, and not as fast and refined as the more expensive Supra.

"BuT iT's FuLly BuIlt By NiSsAn!"

Yep, and that's exactly the problem.

Cost cutting, cost cutting, and more cost cutting.
The car is a complete compromise from a marque with little to offer other than boxes. They have a historical name and kept it going with an old, very old chassis and tech. Yes its a 'new' sportscar but if that is the future for mid level sports machines - just save your money for something that is well thought out and executed. This is not a cheap vehicle at all. I suspect this car will sell initially, tis new, then level off when realistic reviews are made about somewhat glaring issues/compromises that it contains. If you need a 'new' Z here it is. Frankly - be warned.

Again ZF8 - 3.0 Supra stock or tuned are quite a value given what a 'compromise' new Z offers. Even a well optioned 2.0 has good performance, steering and balance the new Z does not offer or tech as well.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
Moto Miwa reviews 2023 Nissan Z and makes comparison to A90 Supra

https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/t...san-z-and-makes-comparison-to-a90-supra.1192/

55_10226311154861540_8721810817289288691_n-jpg-jpg.jpg
Nice read but it was a bit romanticized and the whole if you care about numbers you're not an enthusiast bs. If you're going to the track, then I'd argue you care a whole lot about the numbers.

Then trying to paint it over like car manufacturer's are putting their hearts and souls into these cars. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they are passionate about their work, but they are both working in corporate structures and had constraints. I wonder if he wrote about the Z sticker kits and all the passion Nissan had then. It was also mentioned but I wonder how closely his opinions and the Z demographic line up. Never really saw the Z as the refined gran tourer. Usually see it more as flame tunes, and lot of noise without a lot of speed.

Chgu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2013 FR-S
Camissa is at it again, going into a lot of interesting details about how much Nissan tuned the Z to protect itself.

He also walked back a little of his comment about the Bridgestones.

Short notes:
  • Dead steering
  • Stock tune has boost suddenly increasing from 4-5K RPM that breaks the tires loose
  • engine cuts power as soon as you touch the brake, even with all the systems turned off
  • Cuts boost and power as you approach redline until the engine drops to 6k RPM
  • even with the "no lift shift," you can't do WOT shifts
  • no power until you fully release the clutch to protect it
He says there's gonna be a lot of these getting wrecked with the recipe Nissan put together, but to be fair, looking at the salvage Supra thread, there's plenty of people with more money than driving skill. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
That's only partially true according to all the insider people. Yes, R&D had started way back in 2019 with several working prototypes according to Tada. However, it was stuck in limbo. Not too long ago, I believe even @A70TTR said something along the lines of the new Z being the final driving force behind Toyota's reasoning for releasing the 6-speed manual.
This is not correct. I believe you misunderstood A70's words. The Z was just a greater incentive but internally everything that Toyota asked from customers in order to convince them to build the manual had to have been met first. Tada-san and Toyota kept saying they would build the manual on two conditions.

1. Buy the cars (regardless of the transmission) and prove to us that there's a market for the GR Supra.
2. If you bought the automatic car and it still doesn't tickle your fancy, then still demand for that manual that you wanted.

Both of these conditions were met after the insane levels of sales that made the GR Supra the 7th best-selling sports on the market (behind all of the big name juggernauts, ahead of all the other niche sports cars) and development resumed some time in late 2020 or very early 2021.

I find it fascinating that Toyota had the balls to take this route of "if you buy these cars, then we'll consider building this" instead of building the car that they want in the first place. Had this been another company, customers would just flip them off. However, I guess because everyone knows about Toyota's or Lexus' story with their struggles in sports car development, it caught people's attention as Toyota wasn't messing around with their promises and were serious on building the manual if buyers actually trusted Toyota. And trust they did, and Toyota brought the manual.

Point is, while the existence of the Z made sure that the GR Supra's manual had to be perfect, the real reason for the manual GR Supra being built lies within Tada-san's and Toyota's promise that they made in the release back in 2019.
Sponsored

Last edited: