Supra vs off-lease BMW 340i m sport package

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Hey guys,

Any thoughts on this? The 2015+ uses the B58, the same infotainment, and with the m sport package gets the adaptive suspension. However you also get a 2+2 set up and the option to have all wheel drive.

Right now, 3 year old 2016 off lease versions are going for ~30k. You are basically avoiding the depreciation dip and getting a nearly new car.
Sponsored

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That sounds like a great deal. Though with all wheel drive system, you get to spend more on maintenance. I’m sticking with a simpler yet more playful front engined rear wheel drive layout. They’re in different category, though they have similar options. Still going for a Supra. :headbang:

OP
OP
solidsamir

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
That sounds like a great deal. Though with all wheel drive system, you get to spend more on maintenance. I’m sticking with a simpler yet more playful front engined rear wheel drive layout. They’re in different category, though they have similar options. Still going for a Supra. :headbang:
I need to do some more research to figure out of the b58 has changed in anyway from 2015-2018 as far as hardware goes.

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I need to do some more research to figure out of the b58 has changed in anyway from 2015-2018 as far as hardware goes.
For sure there are some changes, especially with Toyota’s involment in the project, particularly with the Supra. Not sure about the Z4.

OP
OP
solidsamir

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
For sure there are some changes, especially with Toyota’s involment in the project, particularly with the Supra. Not sure about the Z4.
Toyota’s involvement began in 2012, plenty of time for the changes to be implemented in the 2015+ b58

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota’s involvement began in 2012, plenty of time for the changes to be implemented in the 2015+ b58
Well, Toyota tried it with several BMW models first, see how the engine’s performance and reliability would fare, before they decided to put it in the Supra. Took a lot of r & d on Toyota’s part.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Listen to me, I just traded off a F80 M3, I have quite a bit of experience with F30's, and I would not recommend you buy one.

The adaptive suspension in those cars is pretty bad, I have always thought that it feels quite underdamped in all modes. It will wallow quite a bit, and mid corner bumps upset the chassis. The sport mode never gets stiff enough, and the steering is too heavy in sport. The steering somehow also manages to be quite numb.

The B58 has not had any major changes since its initial release. I think there may have been a turbo revision, but there is nothing major. The B58 has so far proven to be very reliable.

In your case, I would likely consider a F22 M240i. The steering is still a bit numb, and it only has two doors. However, it is in every other way better than the 340i. It drives a lot smaller than the 340i even though the weight difference is not that great. It also has much better suspension tuning in all modes.

Now, if you just want a fast car, the F87 M2 is the very best choice for you. It has the older N55, which is a pretty good engine, but the best part about that car is the way it drives. I personally love it. It has great body control, turn-in is fast and stable, midcorner grip is high, and the car will oversteer if you trail the brakes or apply throttle midcorner. The only negative I have about the M2 is that it has fixed, non-adjustable dampers which are tuned quite stiff from the factory.

Last edited:
OP
OP
solidsamir

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Listen to me, I just traded off a F80 M3, I have quite a bit of experience with F30's, and I would not recommend you buy one.

The adaptive suspension in those cars is pretty bad, I have always thought that it feels quite underdamped in all modes. It will wallow quite a bit, and mid corner bumps upset the chassis. The sport mode never gets stiff enough, and the steering is too heavy in sport. The steering somehow also manages to be quite numb.

The B58 has not had any major changes since its initial release. I think there may have been a turbo revision, but there is nothing major. The B58 has so far proven to be very reliable.

In your case, I would likely consider a F22 M240i. The steering is still a bit numb, and it only has two doors. However, it is in every other way better than the 340i. It drives a lot smaller than the 340i even though the weight difference is not that great. It also has much suspension tuning in all modes.

Now, if you just want a fast car, the F87 M2 is the very best choice for you. It has the older N55, which is a pretty good engine, but the best part about that car is the way it drives. I personally love it. It has great body control, turn-in is fast and stable, midcorner grip is high, and the car will oversteer if you trail the brakes or apply throttle midcorner. The only negative I have about the M2 is that it has fixed, non-adjustable dampers which are tuned quite stiff from the factory.
Thanks for the reply, this is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I’m still in the market for the Supra, it’s not a cost issue but I was curious if the differences between the Supra and the 340i are worth the premium.

Isn’t the adaptive suspension in the Supra and 340i the same? The steering as well?

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply, this is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I’m still in the market for the Supra, it’s not a cost issue but I was curious if the differences between the Supra and the 340i are worth the premium.

Isn’t the adaptive suspension in the Supra and 340i the same? The steering as well?
I don't think so. Maybe the G20 3 series but definitely not the F30.

The Supra is based on the new BMW CLAR platform which incorporates many new parts. They completely retuned and redesigned the suspensions. Even if the physical parts are the same, the tuning is what truly makes the difference, and to be frank, the F30 does not have good tuning. It just lacks the finesse and feel that I think defined every prior generation of 3 series.

Also, if you are looking at an off-lease 340i, it would have the older iDrive system, and it would have a mostly analog gauge cluster.

OP
OP
solidsamir

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
I don't think so. Maybe the G20 3 series but definitely not the F30.

The Supra is based on the new BMW CLAR platform which incorporates many new parts. They completely retuned and redesigned the suspensions. Even if the physical parts are the same, the tuning is what truly makes the difference, and to be frank, the F30 does not have good tuning. It just lacks the finesse and feel that I think defined every prior generation of 3 series.

Also, if you are looking at an off-lease 340i, it would have the older iDrive system, and it would have a mostly analog gauge cluster.
Wow I didn’t even know that about the CLAR platform. Thank you for your insight, this is exactly what I was looking for.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Would the adaptive suspension and active differential be costly when it comes to maintenance?
Which car? Adaptive suspension probably isn't that bad. The differential I can see being expensive. The 340i has a normal open diff.

elpadrino

First Name
eL
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus RC350F, bmw E92, ducati monster
I personally don't think the Supra and 340i are comparable. One is a 4 door sporty family car. The other is a purpose-built sports car. The M235/240 is a better comparison and wholeheartedly agree with Kona. It is truly a joy to drive that car. Handles great and sounds amazing.

My only issue was with the interior materials. Since its based off the 2 series it's pretty much hard plastic everywhere. It never felt like a 50k car to me. But at 25-30k, it makes more sense. But since I haven't sat inside an MKV I can't really compare.

Powaup

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
Hey guys,

Any thoughts on this? The 2015+ uses the B58, the same infotainment, and with the m sport package gets the adaptive suspension. However you also get a 2+2 set up and the option to have all wheel drive.

Right now, 3 year old 2016 off lease versions are going for ~30k. You are basically avoiding the depreciation dip and getting a nearly new car.
You’re comparing a sedan to a sports car which is basically apples to oranges. If you’re purpose with the car is to get groceries/sit in traffic/carry passengers then the 3 series is the car to get. If you’re looking for a car that won’t be as comfortable but will be more fun then the Supra is the obvious choice. No matter how many mods you do to the 3 series it won’t remotely close to the Supra. I know this because I used to drive an M4 and I now drive an M235i, they’re good cars but they don’t respond the way sports cars do

Maybe in a straight line. But if you wanna go fast in a straight line you shouldn’t buy a Supra
Sponsored