Temecula A80 & A90

SLVR Stealth

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ZZT230 Supercharged
We got our first A90 at the dealership here we’re i work. I’ve been working on A.C concern for A80 Supra last few days. Not easy being almost every part is discontinued. Figured out the A.C. Amplifier wiring at the pressure switch and evaporator sensor was setting code during old school panel diagnostics in the Supra wiring causing a short and made the compressor short cycle. Anyway, it is fixed now being a black on black car doesn’t need help the interior bake at 120 degree f. heat when the car sits outside under the sun. Going home from work got a chance to take an image of the 1994 A80 Twin Turbo Supra with the new 2020 A90 L.E. after the long pdi was completed.

Father and Son together again...

EEB92F39-8EAE-4C50-B0F3-0AC9886B4021.jpeg

04DD3C2B-6AB3-4553-A6ED-105F680DF41C.jpeg

0B288629-5AB2-43AE-867B-AE86DCE85AA9.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

r35pect

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
mkiv supra
Thanks for sharing!

Its hard to tell in pictures but I really don't see much of a resemblance other than maybe a bit in the hips and a bit in the design of the hood. How did it look for you in person?

Did they seem more closely related in the flesh?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Thanks for sharing!

Its hard to tell in pictures but I really don't see much of a resemblance other than maybe a bit in the hips and a bit in the design of the hood. How did it look for you in person?

Did they seem more closely related in the flesh?
Why does it matter that they look the same. Mk4 didnt look like mk3 and mk3 looked drastically different than mk2.

Last edited:

r35pect

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
mkiv supra
Why does it matter that they look the same. Mk4 didnt look like mk3 and mk3 looked drastically different than mk2.

Lmao you sound like you have some feelings there. Did I upset you with bringing up the looks?

I personally don't care but was making a simple observation since they were parked next to each other. But since you brought it up, it should matter. The reason the mk5 "the legend" was "reborn" is solely because of the mkiv. As such, more homage should have been pay'd to its looks. But that's just my opinion.

At the end of the day, preferences don't mean shit; it's what the car can do is all I care about but I can also compare the looks all I want.

darkloki

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra MKIV Turbo Six Speed Getrag v160 BPU
Vehicle Showcase
It's supposed to have styling ques from the GT 2000 and the FT-1 And I supposedly the FRS/BRZ 86, (whatever you want to call it) What people often fail to realize is that the FT-1 as cool as it was was based on a FRS/BRZ 86 chasis and then done up* but it started life at that level.

So when people complain about the MKV being too small as compared to the MKIV well it started life tiny to begin with. The A Pillars being too large is my biggest complaint about the car. I'll even forgive the interior, the BMW aspects all of it. The A Pillar appears to be twice as thick as what's in my MKIV and I feel as if that would be a nuisance but you have tech to make up for that but still it would be annoying to me.

r35pect

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
mkiv supra
It's supposed to have styling ques from the GT 2000 and the FT-1 And I supposedly the FRS/BRZ 86, (whatever you want to call it) What people often fail to realize is that the FT-1 as cool as it was was based on a FRS/BRZ 86 chasis and then done up* but it started life at that level.

So when people complain about the MKV being too small as compared to the MKIV well it started life tiny to begin with. The A Pillars being too large is my biggest complaint about the car. I'll even forgive the interior, the BMW aspects all of it. The A Pillar appears to be twice as thick as what's in my MKIV and I feel as if that would be a nuisance but you have tech to make up for that but still it would be annoying to me.
I really don't care one way or the other as looks are subjective. But, IMO, the predominant features of the new supra should have been primarily mk4 related with very very minor ques of prior supras and the GT if they had to be incorporated at all. If the pinnacle of the supra legacy ended with the mk3, there wouldn't have been a demand for the last 20+ years for Toyota to bring the supra back. The mk5 owes its "legendary rebirth" to the what the mk4 did and as such, IMO, should have a kept a lot of styling cues in homage to the a80. I like the FT1 but even then I still would have preferred more mk4 styling ques on the concept like the taillights and quarter windows (the quarter windows of the new supra remind me more of a 370z than anything else).

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
I'm glad the A90 looks different compared to the rest. Looking back all Supras have had different designs and are very of their time. If they released a brand new car today that looked like the A80, although it itself looks good still, releasing it now would look a bit dated. Plus with all the safety stuff now you wouldn't manage to get the same shape.

The A90 incorporates small parts of previous Toyota sports cars quite well in an all new design that in my opinion looks very modern and up to date, and complies with all modern pedestrian collision safety and other stuff they need to.

And I don't really get why people keep saying the A90 is too small, it's a similar size to the A80 give or take a couple of inches. And in real life it looks larger than in photos for sure. It's not like it's the size of an MX5 or something lol

r35pect

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
mkiv supra
I'm glad the A90 looks different compared to the rest. Looking back all Supras have had different designs and are very of their time. If they released a brand new car today that looked like the A80, although it itself looks good still, releasing it now would look a bit dated. Plus with all the safety stuff now you wouldn't manage to get the same shape.

The A90 incorporates small parts of previous Toyota sports cars quite well in an all new design that in my opinion looks very modern and up to date, and complies with all modern pedestrian collision safety and other stuff they need to.

And I don't really get why people keep saying the A90 is too small, it's a similar size to the A80 give or take a couple of inches. And in real life it looks larger than in photos for sure. It's not like it's the size of an MX5 or something lol

I hear your points but still don't agree that just because each generation of supra looked different so should this generation. The only reason for the rebirth of the supra is because of what the mk4 was and is. It would be different if Toyota had kept the ball rolling with a refreshed supra back in the early 2000's with a 3jz and a different body style but they didn't.

The only reason there has been a continued demand is because of the mk4; and as such, I feel, that Toyota should have done more to incorporate more mk4 elements into their design, even on the FT1, as homage to why the public has been demanding this car. Little cues calling back to other versions of the supra isn't something I really liked because it wasn't those previous versions that created what the supra name has become. But again, that's just my opinion.

The design of the new supra was impacted more so by being based on the z4 wheelbase/platform as compared to anything else like safety features. Yes, it does look larger in person and much wider than I expected. I think a nice drop and some nice wheels will really bring out the supra's looks overall once people start modifying them.
Sponsored