"Thank you" to Akio Toyoda, Tetsuya Tada et al...

wbradley

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FR-S, 2018 STI, 2017 Prius
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got to see the new Supra in the flesh today, in matte grey colour at the Toronto Auto Show. Also, sat in a Z4 to get a feel for the proportions.

That's a long hood!!! I am hoping this car becomes even more legendary than the clown's shoe! Smart move making the alliance with BMW on this one I think! It doesn't matter what the previous Supra was, this is the current one. Thoughtfully designed and using thoughtfully designed components.

To those that we know did make this project happen including the Calty design people starting with the FT1 as well as those we don't, thank you for making this happen. I think a lot of people want a really good sports car from Toyota that satisfies a 718 fan without the Porsche pricing and ownership costs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Finally got to see the new Supra in the flesh today, in matte grey colour at the Toronto Auto Show. Also, sat in a Z4 to get a feel for the proportions.

That's a long hood!!! I am hoping this car becomes even more legendary than the clown's shoe! Smart move making the alliance with BMW on this one I think! It doesn't matter what the previous Supra was, this is the current one. Thoughtfully designed and using thoughtfully designed components.

To those that we know did make this project happen including the Calty design people starting with the FT1 as well as those we don't, thank you for making this happen. I think a lot of people want a really good sports car from Toyota that satisfies a 918 fan without the Porsche pricing and ownership costs.
Thank you Toyota, especially CEO and President Akio Toyoda, with the help of Tetsuya Tada-san, for making this happen. Itā€™s Supra amazing! Thank you for bringing back the sportiness into the brand. Iā€™m still looking forward to the 3rd sports car Akio Toyota is planning to make, as well as the 2nd-generation 86. You guys are awesome for bringing back the excitement that Toyota was once known for. For now, Iā€™m looking forward to having a special attachment with the A90 Supra in my life. Cheers!:beer:

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ

To those that we know did make this project happen including the Calty design people starting with the FT1 as well as those we don't, thank you for making this happen. I think a lot of people want a really good sports car from Toyota that satisfies a 918 fan without the Porsche pricing and ownership costs.
I did the exact same thing. Saw the Supra then ran over to the Z4 and sat in it lol.

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
So after sitting in the Supra and Z4, which among the 2 would you prefer and why?
I didn't get to sit in the Supra, only the Z4. The Z4 was definitely compact. The sitting position has great, similar to my BRZ but a lot more comfortable. What really caught my attention was the amount of space in the engine bay. There's a solid foot of space in front of the engine and I'd say about 6 to 8 inches on the side. You can literally look at the very bottom of the engine without even trying. Pretty uncharacteristic of BMW since most of their engine bays are just jam packed.

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I didn't get to sit in the Supra, only the Z4. The Z4 was definitely compact. The sitting position has great, similar to my BRZ but a lot more comfortable. What really caught my attention was the amount of space in the engine bay. There's a solid foot of space in front of the engine and I'd say about 6 to 8 inches on the side. You can literally look at the very bottom of the engine without even trying. Pretty uncharacteristic of BMW since most of their engine bays are just jam packed.
Have yet to see it in the metal; but the seating position looks like it sits very close to the rear axle, which is made possible when they decided to ditch the rear seats, whereas the BRZ/86 sits farther from the rear axle. Toyotaā€™s involment is clearly present; and their intention to allow the aftermarket to enhance the car is also very clear. The Supra and the Z4 may be twins but they serve different purposes. Although they sit on the same chassis, and have the same underpinnings, and everything else related to engineering and electronics, etc., at the end of the day, one will drive like a proper Toyota, and the other like a proper BMW. The Supra and Z4 may be twins but they clearly serve different roles and purposes; unlike the 86 and BRZ which are almost identical twins.

TexaSupra

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Current: 2015 MB C300 4Matic Sold: Many others
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m also thankful that Toyota wanted to get back into the sports car game, when it didnā€™t even have to. The enthusiast community is truly blessed by car companies that are still committed to building cars that are fun to drive and enjoy, and I for one am very much looking forward to my new car!!

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
I think the only people thankful are the people on this forum. I'll randomly click on the comments when I see a post from Toyota on FB and it's always about 20:1 ratio of dislike:like. I'm excited to see one in person, but I'm also not in love with the car

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Iā€™m also thankful that Toyota wanted to get back into the sports car game, when it didnā€™t even have to. The enthusiast community is truly blessed by car companies that are still committed to building cars that are fun to drive and enjoy, and I for one am very much looking forward to my new car!!
The thing I've come to respect from Toyota is the fact that they're in the sports car game for the right reasons.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
I think the only people thankful are the people on this forum. I'll randomly click on the comments when I see a post from Toyota on FB and it's always about 20:1 ratio of dislike:like. I'm excited to see one in person, but I'm also not in love with the car
That happens to all new cars unfortunately. Maybe not as much as the Supra but that's because other cars don't have the same reputation. Even if Toyota reproduced the MKIV, people would hate on it because it's too expensive or because Toyota is too lazy and can't build a new sports car. I'm surprised people don't actually see the pattern here. Many examples have been posted like the Camaro, GTR, BRZ/86. They were all hated until they weren't.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
That happens to all new cars unfortunately. Maybe not as much as the Supra but that's because other cars don't have the same reputation. Even if Toyota reproduced the MKIV, people would hate on it because it's too expensive or because Toyota is too lazy and can't build a new sports car. I'm surprised people don't actually see the pattern here. Many examples have been posted like the Camaro, GTR, BRZ/86. They were all hated until they weren't.
You forgot the S550,that was hated on for a good while

Therealist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 Toyota Supra
I disagree. I thought and still do that the GT86 achieved what it set out to do very well and for what you get itā€™s not badly priced. Maybe a little high but not bad and it has genuine Toyota and Subaru developed parts. The injection system is all Toyota while the engine is Subaru. Both companies are Japanese and retained that philosophy in their manufacturing, which shows.

The new supra isnā€™t like that at all. Thatā€™s why it is receiving more hate. The original supras were all about pushing boundaries, challenging more experience rivals and most importantly, kept Japanese reliabilty. Itā€™s always done that. The new one doesnā€™t push many boundaries really. In the US, itā€™s not a badly priced sports car, I admit, i would consider it if I was in the US.

People are disappointed because the MKIV held the record for braking distance for years, it out accelerated cars in way more expensive classes. The hype wasnā€™t unjustified, the MKIV in stock trim in 93 was a masterpiece and for a great price. It really wasnā€™t expensive for what it was. It was expensive for a Toyota.

Anyway sorry for the rambling. My point was I donā€™t agree that everyone hates on new cars. The newest corvette was great on release, the gt86 was great on release and those cars didnā€™t receive the fraction of the hate...