The all-new BMW 2 Series Coupé (G42) + M2

The Lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400
I don't know if anyone posted about this yet but here it is:

"When BMW announced the 2 Series Gran Coupe, the future of the M2 looked uncertain. Luckily, it looks like the next M2 will be derived from the forthcoming Z4-based 2 Series coupe, not the 2 Series Gran Coupe, which is built on front-wheel-drive architecture, according to a new report from Autocar.

Citing anonymous "insiders," Autocar reports the new M2 will reportedly start with around 420 horsepower. That's a 15-hp bump over the current M2 Competition and a 55-hp advantage over the base M2 that the Competition model replaced. Much like the current M2 Competition, the next M2 will get M4 power. It'll use a detuned version of the 3.0-liter inline-six that's heading to the next M3 and M4, which you can currently find in the X3 M and X4 M.

Plus, Autocar reports that the M2 will continue to offer a manual transmission in its next generation. That's great news, but don't assume that a manual is destined for the U.S. market. The Z4, for instance, offers a manual in Europe, but not here. Still, BMW has historically been better about offering manuals in its American-market M cars than its more pedestrian models. The other transmission option will reportedly be the ubiquitous ZF 8-speed automatic.

If all of this sounds like good news for the M brand, brace yourself. Though it won't be the only option, Autocar suggests that BMW will make a four-door, all-wheel-drive M2 Gran Coupe on the current Gran Coupe's transverse-engined platform. It won't be the only option, but a front-wheel-drive-based M product looks likely."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a31280011/2021-bmw-m2-details/
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
I was just coming here to post a similar article on this from Jalopnik:
https://jalopnik.com/next-gen-bmw-m2-will-get-two-versions-as-bmw-tests-limi-1842220623

What I'm gathering is that:

A) A RWD, 2-door BMW "M2" will continue into a new generation.

B) It will share the platform and R&D with the current Z4 and MKV Supra

C) This new "M2" will continue to offer a manual transmission.

D) All of this means that at least in theory the Supra MKV is about to have access to a much broader range of parts bin options and interchangeability that is designed to work with its platform, which may include the S58 engine and a proper manual transmission designed for an inline-six that will specifically see duty in at least one of the three sportscar models that share the MKV's platform.

So far, so good.

And it's good to learn that the RWD 2-door M2 manual will continue to live on as well.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
i would like to add some things to this

first the z4 production is scheduled for '19-'26 , maybe in '26 there will be a facelift or the end of the model .

second the m2 will be produced from 2023 to 2029 , will have a different internal name than the z4 which is g29 .

third the platform is indeed called clar and is a modular one which means that it can serve many different purposes , so while the z4/supra and the 2 series will be ,like today, different cars , they will be more vaguely related to each other than today , because the current 2 series is not on the clar platform.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
I remember a comment from Tada I believe about how BMW offers the convertible and Toyota offers the coupe. I guess BMW wants the coupe also.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
I remember a comment from Tada I believe about how BMW offers the convertible and Toyota offers the coupe. I guess BMW wants the coupe also.
Except they do not.

The CLAR is a modular platform , do you know what cars ride on the same supra platform? X3 , X5 , M3 the list goes on. By the same logic the supra is a crossover? modular platforms mean they share some components like the engine , buttons , transmissions and the key word here is some not all of them. The new 2023 m2 will use the CLAR architecture , but then again the X5 is already using it so that's where similarities end.
For the record i would prefer the supra to be a M2 brother , supra was always a GT car just sayin.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Except they do not.

The CLAR is a modular platform , do you know what cars ride on the same supra platform? X3 , X5 , M3 the list goes on. By the same logic the supra is a crossover? modular platforms mean they share some components like the engine , buttons , transmissions and the key word here is some not all of them. The new 2023 m2 will use the CLAR architecture , but then again the X5 is already using it so that's where similarities end.
For the record i would prefer the supra to be a M2 brother , supra was always a GT car just sayin.
I'm way too aware of how module platforms work. I skimmed the article and based most of my response on the title. "Z4/Supra-based" is a bit misleading if that's the case, but I should have read more. Still, I'm not going to, because I don't really want an M2 anyway. :D

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
It's not going to be Z4/Supra based, it will be based off the CLAR platform which is also what the Z4/Supra is built off of. That is what is mean by based on the Z4/Supra. It will be a completely different car though, but will share certain things with the two.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Plus, Autocar reports that the M2 will continue to offer a manual transmission in its next generation
This can only mean good things, right?

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I'm getting E30 vibes just looking at it
Sponsored