digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Its definitely one of those "what if" episodes to see if California were to claim independence. California's GDP is right under Japan, China and Germany.
The calculus would be interesting to be sure...

On the one hand, California pays more in federal taxes than they receive in grants/entitlements... so it would be a fairly significant hit to state and federal budgets elsewhere. Three trillion (CA GDP) isn't as small a number as many in DC seem to think these days.

On the other hand, we'd no longer have people like Pelosi, Feinstein, Schiff, and Swalwell in Congress... so one could argue it would be an easy sacrifice that might even become profitable fairly quickly. ?

The best thing (for me at least) would be we'd probably start buying our gas from Texas and I wouldn't have to use that 91 octane "swill" we get from Cali. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
So, it's ok for you, the OP, or any us to disregard pollution laws because the individual damage we do is miniscule compared to those big bad companies and manufacturing plants? This really comes off as an entitled, selfish, and shortsighted attitude. I'm glad the vast majority of us don't share it. Looks like we need to agree to disagree on this one.
I can guarantee you that there are more catless downpipes on here than catted ones lol.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
I want to move, CA has been getting on my last fucking nerves. The biggest one is $5/gallon for gas, almost $4/gallon for E85. Everything is all fucked all sorts of ways here in CA.
Then you would love it here in Sweden where gas is just over $8/gallon and rising;)
E85 is close to $9/gallon.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Then you would love it here in Sweden where gas is just over $8/gallon and rising;)
E85 is close to $9/gallon.
Let's see... Sweden has a bit over 10M people with ~65 people per sq. mile (25/km2). California has nearly 40M (definitely over that if you account for tourists and non-citizens) and 231.1 people per square mile.

Yes, I would love it there in Sweden... less population = better living (on average at least). And when you factor in those people being Swedish vs. American... it's even better IMO. Plus, I have my suspicions that they are more fluent in English than most Americans as well. ?

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Its definitely one of those "what if" episodes to see if California were to claim independence.
Not to mention a potential ripple effect of other states joining California due to a change in the political demographic, but this is a bit off-topic for a car forum.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
Let's see... Sweden has a bit over 10M people with ~65 people per sq. mile (25/km2). California has nearly 40M (definitely over that if you account for tourists and non-citizens) and 231.1 people per square mile.

Yes, I would love it there in Sweden... less population = better living (on average at least). And when you factor in those people being Swedish vs. American... it's even better IMO. Plus, I have my suspicions that they are more fluent in English than most Americans as well. ?
You have a point:)
Sponsored