Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Finally a translation thanks to bc.

bc said:
Vertically written Japanese makes my brain melt. A lot of the content is a repeat of what he said in the ILOVECARS!TV interview before. Mystery trip to Germany, initial trouble, etc.

Here is what he has to say regarding MT at the end of page 16:

Option Daijirō Inada: I've read that it will be available only with an automatic transmission.

Supra CE Tetsuya Tada: To be honest, there are no performance merits to a manual transmission (when compared to the Sports 8AT). As of now. It's a shame. On the other hand, the technical level and progress of torque converter type sports automatic transmissions is impressive. The shift speeds are no different than a DCT. More importantly, the latest generation of sports AT are light.

That said, I totally understand the authentic experience associated with operating a manual transmission.

Option Daijirō Inada: So it will be AT only, then?

Supra CE Tetsuya Tada: My answer will probably be treated as some form of cop-out or cheap excuse, but the Supra puts out a serious amount of torque. More than double that of the 86. When it comes to a manual transmission, it must be able to cope with the amount of torque it's applicable engine produces and is capable of producing. It torque goes up, the manual transmission must be able to handle it accordingly with the correct number of plates, etc.

Naturally, this strengthening will have a progressively negative effect on shift feel. Technically. In the near future, manual transmissions will be smaller and focused on sublime shift feel. Take for example, the Honda Beat. It's a masterpiece.

However, when you need to handle 500-600 NM of torque, it's a different world. Porsche has made strides in this realm, but they are selling high-end sports cars for nearly 200k USD each.

Let's say we develop a MT for Supra. Now, can we convince our customers to pay more for it? I know that when I provide this type of answer in an interview, it will result in a spate of articles declaring "THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION SUPRA IS DEAD!" (LOL).

But we are always considering the possibility of the manual transmission Supra, and working with our sales divisions in determining if it is viable or not.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
more than double the 86's torque requires a torque converter? Let's be clear here, torque at the wheels in the 86 barely hits 120...I much prefered the equivalent to the torque in F cars comparison..

Meanwhile 460 lb ft C7 gets a 7 speed stick :s

Last edited:

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sorry but that sounds like a total excuse for Toyota being frugal. Double the torque of 86 and we need to have a auto to handle that.... lmao. That’s pathetic.

This car is DOA for any enthusiast out there... unless.. he/she wants a daily that looks like a Toyota and drive/feels like a BMW and costs as much as a Corvette and goes as fast as a ecoboost Mustang.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
more than double the 86's torque requires a torque converter? Let's be clear here, torque at the wheels in the 86 barely hits 120...I much prefer to the equivalent to the torque in F cars comparison..

650Tq Z06 gets a manual.. the new GT3s come in manual, all standard variants of 991 come in manual. Heck even the new Aston comes in manual. Wtf is Toyota smoking.

Reactions: HKz

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Just putting this out there.

TOYOTA.

I would pay more for a manual transmission. Similar to how Porsche charges its customers for an automatic transmission.

I would be willing to pay a few grand more for a Manual, now lets make it happen and make it a success,

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just putting this out there.

TOYOTA.

I would pay more for a manual transmission. Similar to how Porsche charges its customers for an automatic transmission.

I would be willing to pay a few grand more for a Manual, now lets make it happen and make it a success,
Lol. Not going to happen. They are setting the stage for auto only Supra and making stupid excuses

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
more than double the 86's torque requires a torque converter? Let's be clear here, torque at the wheels in the 86 barely hits 120...I much prefer to the equivalent to the torque in F cars comparison..

You're looking at it wrong, he's praising the capabilities of a torque converter

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
You're looking at it wrong, he's praising the capabilities of a torque converter
Just stop spilner, it will never translate for you. You need to start driving first -.-

Literally every single MT enthusiast who hasn't given up on them will never care how good automatics are. Plus this ain't news, for quite some time now torque converters have been able to handle over 500 lb ft of torque and shifting speeds have surpassed the average manual driver..care cup still empty..

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Just stop spilner, it will never translate for you. You need to start driving first -.-

Literally every single MT enthusiast who hasn't given up on them will never care how good automatics are. Plus this ain't news, for quite some time now torque converters have been able to handle over 500 lb ft of torque and shifting speeds have surpassed the average manual driver..care cup still empty..
Auto may be practical, but it won't beat the fun you get from shifting a Manual

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Finally a translation thanks to bc:

"But we are always considering the possibility of the manual transmission Supra, and working with our sales divisions in determining if it is viable or not."
Reading this I don't automatically assume it will necessarily happen but it does suggest to me that they have not actually shut the door on offering a manual. The car won't be released to go on sale for another year but even if, hypothetically, they already reversed their original decision and decided to offer one it wouldn't be available at launch anyway.

If BMW has decided not to offer a manual in their Z4 despite the existence of Z4 manual development cars then it means this is all on Toyota at this point IF they did it, right?

But... the initial chassis R&D for those pedals, the hydraulic system, gearbox mounting and some of the electrical/electronics (with the exception of a main ECU) needed for a manual gearbox does exist... at least in terms of research data, measurements, etc. and probably a couple of soon to be destroyed Z4 manual development cars.

That could still count for absolutely nothing for the entire model run but it does mean that at least some of the work has been done already... just not implemented at all.

Tada says the engine makes "more than double the torque of the 86". Well...

The 86/BRZ's FA20 engine makes 156 ft-lbs.
ONLY double that is 312 ft-lbs.
The 2JZ-GTE made 315 ft-lbs in stock form.
He mentions 500-600 Newton-Meters of torque. That translates to 369-443 ft-lbs of torque.
The outgoing BMW M2 makes 369 ft-lbs of torque in overboost mode. This can be had with a manual against a similar I6.
The new incoming BMW M2 Competition makes 406 ft-lbs of torque. This can be had with a manual against a similar I6.

The car already is composed of so many BMW parts I don't think Toyota really would have a problem using the M2's 6-speed manual transmission. Or the 6-speed manual from the M3 and M4.

My take on Tada's response in this interview reinforces that while he's probably proud of the work on the automatic on offer (which I'm sure is actually good in its own right... as an automatic) he does want a manual option and he does understand why fans of the car want one but he's not the one who can ultimately make it happen and he's not going to dog on the product even if he was overruled by higher ups.

This interview makes me feel like it comes right back to whether or not Toyota marketing and higher ups approve it at any time during the model run... and thus deciding to develop programming for their TSS to work with it. I'm still amazed that with all the physical parts for a manual likely being available already it would still cost an estimated $500M to do that alone.
Sponsored