The tech world faces what the rest of the business world knows - Loyalty/Family its not - Its just a job

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
There is no such thing as family or safety at a job - its all an illusion - a feeling - and we know feelings are not facts.

Always have your resume updated and ready to go and interview about every other year to see what new tech is being used. I recently interviewed with a company and everything is now online and they want you to code in front of them - the older crunchy t-shirt wearing pony tailed gentlemen also introuduced himself and gave me his pronouns....not a good look nor fit for me.

If you still have a physical office, don't dress it up like its your home, never leave anything there that you wouldn't care about not getting back.

I have been at my current job for 10+ years and have deep business knowledge and designed/coded/support/rollout many of the systems the supply chain uses - but I never think for a second that they wouldn't replace me or lay me off if they needed to - and if you are reading this you shouldn't either.

OP
OP

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
The tech world grew up this winter. Its mythical status and employee treatment is on full display. Its a business (certainly always was) and its not a family ever. Keep things real and focused and remain nimble. There are no other alternatives unless you are the CEO/Owner etc and literally call every shot around you.

The lack of clarity on most of the larger layoff announcements was appalling but it was certainly the norm - for a large powerful Corporate entity. Why any 'tech' employee's should feel differently that they would be treated better even in a layoff was rather interesting. It does show the Corporate environment is a powerful one and has a deep psychological effect on all of us at some point.

No one ever takes better care of you - than you. Google will surely not fkn do it ever or any other major brand. This should have been somewhat apparent to many but it appears it was not. Exceptions are not to be made now. One must wonder how the labor tech market will react as workers now are certainly expendable and the job market is more on the side of employers vs employee's even in the tech world. Talent is now available and will real salaries be stagnant vs growing as in the recent past.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
Unless you are working for family or close friends I would think everyone should not expect loyalty from employer. With that said there still is a certain level of corporate politics you can play within a company to gain some degree of favoritism. Although I am sure its little harder in a remote environment.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
There is no such thing as family or safety at a job - its all an illusion - a feeling - and we know feelings are not facts.

I have been at my current job for 10+ years and have deep business knowledge and designed/coded/support/rollout many of the systems the supply chain uses - but I never think for a second that they wouldn't replace me or lay me off if they needed to - and if you are reading this you shouldn't either.
This. Always this. Never forget. They keep paying, so we keep turning up.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I would think this would apply to any sector but who knows.

1) Work hard and realize who’s writing the paycheck.
2) Create as little drama as possible. Believe it or not, bosses have their own problems too. Why create more?
3) Be professional and look professional. Impressions do matter.
4) Treat others like you’d like to be treated. Age old concept that actually works.
5) Keep work and home separate if not your own business.
6) Fake it. If someone asks you how you‘re doing, I always lie and say great! Put on a happy face and you’ll be surprised how quickly you forget you were in a bad mood to begin with.
7) Stay relevant and up to date in your field in case they close shop.
8) Make lots of friends. This will give you opportunities that you didn’t even know existed.

Good article and sorry to hear if any y’all lost your job(s) 😱

Last edited:

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
I saw a post elsewhere that really broke out how much the sector had grown versus how many layoffs had occurred (I think Amazon had hired 787k but let go 5k or something like that).

The concepts of family and job security are just that... concepts. Work life balance does not mean treating your job like the place you need really be focused. I've done the work 100 hours a week thing, I've seen people who have had multiple heart attacks, I've lived what happens when you can't separate.

The best description of a job I saw was that it shootouts work like a team. Growing, building and nurturing the employees to do better, grow more and most importantly not be afraid to be themselves.

Whichever HR manager created the "we're a family" mentality, 100% earned their bonus that year. A company, as big and stable as it is, is still nothing more than a business. Businesses don't operate under the guise that you need work, rather that it's designed to prosper and grow. Over hiring, under producing based on current economic state and over spending all lead to the same result... reductions to balance out costs.

There is no such thing as job security. Might take time, but others can figure out what you did (had to do that multiple times). If you want some level of job security, then you need to be the owner. Even then, you're limited by what the economy allows and your job (aka company) is always on the line.

OP
OP

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Such love of 'family' from Google trash leadership -

Google Cuts Its Director of Mental Health and Wellbeing
As layoffs continue in the tech sector, so too does the anxiety and depression that surrounds them and the industry as a whole.

As layoffs continue to plague the tech sector, even the titans of the industry aren’t safe. Amidst ongoing layoffs at Google, we’ve learned the company has let go of its mental health executive, according to Insider.

Kristin Maczko wrote on Linkedin that she served the company for fifteen years, with over one year in the position of Director of Global Mental Health and Wellbeing. According to Maczko’s post, the position’s responsibility was to improve the internal wellbeing and mental health of Google’s employees—a position that the company has apparently deemed expendable. The team has not completely been gutted, as some of the Mental Health and Wellbeing team remains despite layoffs.

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
It's important to create a secondary stream of income that you can control, if possible, something with the potential to become a primary income.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F

MattPhantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I work with a lot new developers straight out of college and they are over the moon about finally getting a “career job” they can’t imagine leaving to work somewhere else. I try to explain they know a fraction of what they need to know and to keep expanding their skills in case they need to look for a job and they just think im being a cyclical asshole and have total loyalty to the company. It’s a hard lesson to learn but the earlier the better.

OP
OP

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
"Management' hoping to return to the Good Old Pre Pandemic ways -

Companies are using layoffs to slash salaries for new hires. Recruiters say it’s companies trying to win back their pre-pandemic power.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tec...alary-cuts-remote-work-recruiter-power-2023-2

--

"Six months ago, if you were a developer, you could ask for anything," Nikita Gupta, a Big Tech recruiter in Seattle and the founder of a job-search company called Careerflow.ai, told Insider. "Companies were closing their eyes and doing whatever they could to get the person hired."

No longer. "Now the companies that are hiring are taking weeks and months to fill roles and they want to make sure they hire the cheapest person," she said. "It's 'take it or leave it.'"--

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
"Management' hoping to return to the Good Old Pre Pandemic ways -

Companies are using layoffs to slash salaries for new hires. Recruiters say it’s companies trying to win back their pre-pandemic power.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tec...alary-cuts-remote-work-recruiter-power-2023-2

--

"Six months ago, if you were a developer, you could ask for anything," Nikita Gupta, a Big Tech recruiter in Seattle and the founder of a job-search company called Careerflow.ai, told Insider. "Companies were closing their eyes and doing whatever they could to get the person hired."

No longer. "Now the companies that are hiring are taking weeks and months to fill roles and they want to make sure they hire the cheapest person," she said. "It's 'take it or leave it.'"--
Hope you are doing alright brother and this ”restructuring“ is heading on the upswing!

OP
OP

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Congratulations - you are replaceable and not worth a raise at all. Is it me or is he poor now at just 55mil?? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Microsoft's CEO Says No Raises for Full-Time Employees This Year
Satya Nadella, whose salary ballooned to $55 million last year, wrote to employees: “As a senior leadership team, we don’t take this decision lightly."

Microsoft has decided to cut raises for full-time staff this year, citing that hackneyed refrain: “tumultuous economic conditions.”
Sponsored