The Ultimate Equalizer Settings Thread

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Thought I would start a discussion on EQ Settings. I already know that this is 99.9% subjective to your ears and music type, so its whatever suits you best, but there might be some good info that we can still share.

Here are my settings so far:

• Turn Off ASD (Active Sound Design) via Bimmercode
  • Turn Off Surround
  • Turn Speed Volume down to the minimum setting (1)

EQ:
  • Treble (+6)
  • Bass (+7)
  • Balance (0)
  • Fader (-2)
-------------------------
  • 100 Hz (-2)
  • 200 Hz (0)
  • 500 Hz (-1)
  • 1 kHz (0)
  • 2 kHz (0)
  • 5 kHz (+1)
  • 10 kHz (+1)

IMG_20200421_092243.jpg

IMG_20200421_092357.jpg

IMG_20200421_092316.jpg
Sponsored

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
There are actually a few variables / steps that need to be considered when making EQ adjustments...
  • Hearing test curve (measured)
  • Equal loudness curves (used as a reference)
  • Sound environment spatial test assessment to identify and correct peaks, dips, and nulls (measured)
  • Personal and psychoacoustic effects need to be taken into consideration during final EQ test setup
Below are the steps that were taken to setup audio system EQ...

Items Required:
------------------------------------------------------

1 - My hearing response curve was measured using a Hearing Test app and then used for reference:

Hearing Test.jpg

------------------------------------------------------

2 - Equal loudness curves (loudness perception) need to be taken into consideration:

FM curves revised.jpg

Further explanation of equal loudness / psychoacoustic effects below:

Psychoacoustics - How We hear

-----------------------------------------------------

3 - Initial analyzer test results are measured with a smart phone using Sound Analyzer App and pink noise reference .wav file ...I also use a higher quality external Omindirectional Microphone rather than using the phones built in directional mic...

The audio equalizer (along with broad bass and treble) is set to a flat response at a prefered listening volume...No adjustments are made at this point...This test identifies all the peaks, dips, and nulls in the sound environment that will need to be compensated for...

1C weighting - flat eq settings.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

4 - Final analyzer test results are measured with RTA analyzer app using pink noise reference .wav file and adjustments to the curve are then made to EQ settings using a JBL House Curve as a reference....Again, this was done again at prefered listening volume...

EQ adjust with new mic 1.jpg

5 - The Harman house curve (below) is taken into consideration when making the final EQ curve adjustments...

Why a house curve? When you have flattened out the analyzer’s display curve and corrected all the dips and nulls, you’re still not done with the EQ adjustments. If you play music through your system at this point, you probably won't be very pleased with the results. You also have to compensate for other variables as mentioned earlier which includes an very important psychoacoustic effect (see Fletcher Munson equal loudness curves).. In short, a flat response will not sound so great to most people...

Tip: The broad bass and treble settings are adjusted last after corrections / changes are made to the curve using the 7 individual EQ frequency settings...

Harman Target House Curve.JPG

----------------------------------------------------

6 - Here are my final EQ settings after taking all variables (environment, hearing, psychoacoustic effects, and preferences) into account...

Equalizer settings after sound test.jpg

And here are my current audio settings*:
  • ASD / Active Sound Design (off)
  • Surround (off)
  • Speed Volume (0)
  • Balance: (0)
  • Fade: (front +2)
  • Broad Bass (+2)
  • Broad Treble (-2)
I found that selecting the "Surround" enhancement feature added to the phase distortion which resulted in reduced sound clarity...This is one of the first things I turned off and the system clarity was noticeably improved...Also note that "Speed Volume" is turned all the way down as this will change the EQ curve as speed increases resulting in an undesirable response at hwy speeds...

*Note that these are my new settings after I did some some much needed improvements to current OE Subwoofer system...

How to Improve OE Subwoofer Quality and Eliminate Vibrations

====================================================

Here are final results using a different Real Time Analyzer App which shows the Supras' audio system frequency response from the drivers seat and where the Equalizer needed to be adjusted to in order to achieve these results...I was very pleased to see how uniform the frequency distribution is within the Supra's cabin and how relatively easy it was to smooth out any peaks, dips, or nulls and make adjustments using the Equalizer....Obviously the system is not lacking in low bass response...

EQ adjust with new mic 2a.jpg

Last edited:

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Any reason for tuning surround off?
Surround is fine for movie tracks but from a audio purist perspective the phase delays added to create artificial spacial effects actually reduces clarity...Also this isn't dolby surround we're talking about either...

As it stands the Supras' OE systems' center and rear side speakers are greatly attenuated as it is and really don't add much to the overall sound...

In the end, as always, it's a personal preference...
Sponsored

Last edited: