Tinting today - Have a question

angrytoddler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red LE Supra MKV, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Ford Explorer Sport
Hey All - I have a Red LE and am getting it tinted today. I am in NJ and this is not a daily driver.. but I do not want to get my balls busted or pulled over for tint just to have to remove it. Driver and passenger tint are not legal in NJ.

So opinion question -

I was thinking 70% on the front and 45% on the rear. (Rear is legal.. front is not) Tint company is recommending 45% on the sides and 35% on the rear and think it wont matter or cause an issue.

Anyone want to weigh in on their experience and opinion?

Thanks!
Sponsored

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
Hey All - I have a Red LE and am getting it tinted today. I am in NJ and this is not a daily driver.. but I do not want to get my balls busted or pulled over for tint just to have to remove it. Driver and passenger tint are not legal in NJ.

So opinion question -

I was thinking 70% on the front and 45% on the rear. (Rear is legal.. front is not) Tint company is recommending 45% on the sides and 35% on the rear and think it wont matter or cause an issue.

Thanks!
I just got the Supra done at 20% on sides and back. This is just enough during the daytime for anyone not to be able to see in and what I have ran on all my cars. I guess it really depends on how the cops are in your area, in SC and NC 20% is illegal but they don't really care. I have never been pulled for tint and if you get pulled over for any other reason just roll both windows down all the way. As long as you don't act like an ass they leave you alone for the most part.

I've never tinted the front but thought about it as they offered it when I dropped it off. The tint job was $210 just for reference.

Dooo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91

So opinion question -

Thanks!
If you are worried about getting pulled over and possibility of having to remove it. I would not go as dark. It's a small car and you have black interior, so it would make it look darker. It also depends on the look you are going for and the type of film you go with.

If you want it slightly darker and block out the heat, I would do 60% all around with 3M Crystaline. If you want it darker, go with what your tint shop recommended.

whostorm05

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 1991 Pontiac TransAm
Keep in mind the windows have a hint of factory tint. So if 20% side tint is legal for you and you put on 20% tint if you get pulled over and tested you would fail.

OP
OP

angrytoddler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red LE Supra MKV, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Ford Explorer Sport
I ended up doing 35% rear hatch, and 70% on the side windows.

I'm glad I did..... During the day the rear is good and the sides have a hint of tint and almost a shine. Once the sun sets.... They look perfect while still offering some privacy.

I glad I didn't go darker.

Cornholio

First Name
Beavis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tungsten Supra Premium
I can't imagine 70% tint would look much different than stock. I've had 35% all around and 20% all around on various vehicles and definitely like 20% better. That's what I did on my Supra yesterday. Looks fantastic.

I have the same situation as LS3Twins above.. where I live cops don't really mess with it unless you are being an ass. (knocks on wood) :cool:

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I just got the Supra done at 20% on sides and back. This is just enough during the daytime for anyone not to be able to see in and what I have ran on all my cars. I guess it really depends on how the cops are in your area, in SC and NC 20% is illegal but they don't really care. I have never been pulled for tint and if you get pulled over for any other reason just roll both windows down all the way. As long as you don't act like an ass they leave you alone for the most part.

I've never tinted the front but thought about it as they offered it when I dropped it off. The tint job was $210 just for reference.
Also live in Charlotte, and wanting to get mine 20%. How do you get around the inspections every year with dark tint? 35% tint for the same price just seems like a waste of money haha and I want mine to be darker, not worried about getting pulled over just don't wanna stress about getting not getting passed. Thanks

Gaz_smithy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86
Vehicle Showcase
How did you get by the Dot matrix on the windows. Any tips for eliminating?

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
Also live in Charlotte, and wanting to get mine 20%. How do you get around the inspections every year with dark tint? 35% tint for the same price just seems like a waste of money haha and I want mine to be darker, not worried about getting pulled over just don't wanna stress about getting not getting passed. Thanks
I live in Huntersville, NC but I register my vehicles in South Carolina :thumbsup:. I have a guy that can get you to pass on inspections in NC if you need it though. I'm really happy with the 20% tint and it doesn't look too dark but just enough to keep people from being able to see in.

Silvertt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Many
whatā€™s the legal limit in the state? I did put a small strip on the windshield as well. Iā€™ve always done same percentages I donā€™t care for the looks if the windows are noticeably different.

So opinion question -

Thanks!

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
South Carolina truly is the land of opportunity...I'll def keep that in mind about getting the darker tint passed tho, thanks!
Sponsored