Tire Pressure 4 versus 6 cylinder engine

A90 Zero

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 BRZ, 2020 Supra
The owners manual shows recommended cold tire pressure of 38 pounds for the RZ model (6 cylinder) and 32 pounds for the SZR model (4 cylinder) with the same wheel and tire sizes. Is this due solely to the engine weight difference? Six pounds seems like a big difference.
Sponsored

POS VETT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Tacoma SR 4X4 V6, '20 Terrain SLE, '11 370Z Sport, '9 Eclipse GS, 8 Corvette Z06
The owners manual shows recommended cold tire pressure of 38 pounds for the RZ model (6 cylinder) and 32 pounds for the SZR model (4 cylinder) with the same wheel and tire sizes. Is this due solely to the engine weight difference? Six pounds seems like a big difference.
Likely. I think the 4-cyl CG would be located more toward the rear of the car.

ayau

First Name
ayau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F1 fitty
Probably a combination of more weight and less likely to roll the tire sidewall. The RZ weighs more and will shift more weight to the front when braking and turning. Higher psi usually means a harsher ride quality.

ChrisD

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
A90 Supra, Twin Turbo 350Z, NA 370Z
When I look on tire pressure screen in car it says 37psi recommended not 38? Anyone else see this?
Dunno if you're just pointing out the difference or asking if you should actually be using 37 or 38, but if its the latter - 1 psi isn't going to make any difference to anything lol I pumped my cayman tyres up by an extra 12 psi in the rear and dropped 10 psi out the front at my last track day to try make it rotate more easily and make it a bit more playful. Barely made any difference. Been driving it around like that on the road for the last few weeks and it drives just like normal
Sponsored