Advertisement

Tired of the BMW comments?

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Mountain_Bound, Apr 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. thedude

thedude Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
    Liked:
    Never bothered me.

One day I was driving away from a stoplight on a four lane divided highway, and someone all the way across the divide (quite far) bellowed -BMW!!!- as we got moving in opposite directions. I actually chuckled.

2. John8

John8 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
    Liked:
    I call mine a BMW/Toyota. I have been wanting a good sports car, since I sold mine after getting the FJ Cruiser and doing a lot of traveling with it to Alaska etc., and I always like some BMWs, so fine with me! :^)

3. J’s Mk5

J’s Mk5 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    2020 Phantom Premium
    Liked:
    I generally play stupid and say “no it’s a Toyota—a BMW is a totally different car. People who know cars can easily tell the difference because Toyota has this crazy looking T logo on the front and a BMW has a flag and says BMW right on it” I say all that really fast so they can’t get a word in edgewise and when I’m done they usually say something like “I meant bmw built your Toyota” to which I reply “yes, i know” and I just look at them—-they eventually just walk away!

johnny_10196, supraboi and solidsamir like this.
  4. John8

John8 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
    Liked:
    #49 May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    But in actuality, neither Toyota or BMW built the car. Due to legalities, it is built by a 3rd party manufacturer, that also happens to be extremely good and high quality, in Austria.

I got the best of both worlds. I like Toyota and have the FJ already and always wanted a BMW! Cool. I am happy. :^)

KahnBB6 and Axix23 like this.
  5. Axix23

Axix23 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Gt30r dc5, k20z1 eg8, and Bagged cd5
    Liked:
    Most of the BMW shit talkers never even driven the car..........

supraboi, Zoopra, a90moe and 4 others like this.
  6. YungMercureal

YungMercureal Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2020 3.0 Premium Supra - Nitro Yellow
    Liked:
    The few people who have approached me in the parking lot/gas station have always said it looks great. The internet is just an echo chamber for hot takes. Just look at 1 star amazon reviews to get an idea of that. For some reason, people without sports cars tend to have the loudest voices. As for MkIV fanboys, you just gotta let them toot their horns. Boggles my mind why they care so much about the MkV if they already own a MkIV. Toyota isn't the same company it was 2 decades ago, unfortunately.

I still stand by my original thought that it would have been nice to see Toyota make the MkV themselves, even with a Toyota V6 or still the B58 (with fully Toyota chassis), but I'm enjoying the car for what it is and whether I keep it for awhile or trade in it's good fun. I deleted my facebook a couple years back and it was one of the best decisions I ever made

7. supraboi

supraboi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vu
    Car(s):
    GS300
    Liked:
  8. 2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    My feet
    Liked:
  9. nibble

nibble Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    bmw
    Liked:
    Here's my take on this.

I bought supra because it is BMW but I love supra because it is NOT BMW.

Here's why. I've been driving BMW sedan for quite some time. I like what it offers as "luxury" car. Supra does offer those amenities that I'd get from BMW. However, BMW is more like final car. Meaning, it feels like what BMW is saying is, "Our cars are masterpieces! There are nothing you should change! If you are going to change anything, we don't welcome you!" It's not exactly but it feels like that.

What Toyota did with this platform is what I love about. Basically, "We will give you a good platform. Do whatever you want to do. It's your car. We already provided you room for you to add your modification. Go at it if you like." And that goes with same philosophy /w previous generation of supra. For example, have you noticed the indent on top of Air filter box? It's there to add strut bar. If it wasn't there, a lot of fabrication had to be made, in my opinion. I heard there are many design of panels to do something like that. Also, I saw many youtubers complaining about fake vents. So what! If I want to or need to, I just have to cut it open. If it's not there, it will be hard to cut it open. If it was there unnecessarily open, it will mess up engine bay or interior or where ever dirt can get in. If they say, it sounds just like Z4, their ear is not trained enough notice the difference. They probably think freight train sound is corvette V8. :D

I like what Toyota did to MKV. maintaining heritage on a reliable platform as well as giving room to make this my supra. In your case, your Supra.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
    It looks like even Toyota might be getting tried of the BMW comments :p

11. 2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    My feet