Took car to dealer for recall work and now tune gone?

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hi everyone. I took my car to the dealer to get the headlight recall completed. I specifically said not to reflash the ecu and what not. Drove the car this morning for the first time after I picked the car up and noticed all my settings were reset from my audio, seat, lighting, etc. A few minutes into my drive to work this morning check engine light goes on. I ran my ecutek app and there was the catalytic converter code (catless downpipe installed). I went to see my maps and noticed they weren't in the app. I plugged in the computer and tried to reflash and got this error message "An Error Occurred: No EcuTek License found in ECU. Please run the unlock tool." My common sense tells me they locked my ecu, but my hope is that I just lost the ecutek license and that I can get a new license to reflash. Anyone else have any experience of this or have heard of this happening and know the solution?
Sponsored

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
They reflashed your Ecu. Call your tuner and ask if he can send you another license or if it needs to be unlocked again. That sucks, you might have to buy another license and/or pay for an unlock

OP
OP
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
heard back from Ecutek and they are going to get things sorted out for the license side. I believe I need an unlock as well, but just waiting on hearing from my tuner. He is out of town for the next 2 weeks so that is going to feel like months for me haha. Toyota won't even call me back for me to at least let out some frustration on them. I dont know how they didnt get the hint with the Ecutek dongle inserted and me telling everyone there not to flash and having it on the service order to not flash.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Hi everyone. I took my car to the dealer to get the headlight recall completed. I specifically said not to reflash the ecu and what not. Drove the car this morning for the first time after I picked the car up and noticed all my settings were reset from my audio, seat, lighting, etc. A few minutes into my drive to work this morning check engine light goes on. I ran my ecutek app and there was the catalytic converter code (catless downpipe installed). I went to see my maps and noticed they weren't in the app. I plugged in the computer and tried to reflash and got this error message "An Error Occurred: No EcuTek License found in ECU. Please run the unlock tool." My common sense tells me they locked my ecu, but my hope is that I just lost the ecutek license and that I can get a new license to reflash. Anyone else have any experience of this or have heard of this happening and know the solution?
I dread this situation. The dealership locked the ECU. You need the DME unlocked again before you can flash back your tune. This is why its a good idea to get one of those OBD plug covers that say donā€™t flash.

-RJM

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
This is what I fear most now as I am about ready to take advantage of my first free oil change. Not sure it is worth the risk. Spend $75-100 on an oil kit and do it myself or risk needing another $5-700 bench unlock service from a tuner? I have a OBDII port cover with "consult owner/do not flash" printed on it but not sure all of my verbal and written instructions will get through to the techs...

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yep, this is the reason why I didn't go to my dealer for service.
In CarFax it will show your car wasn't serviced for recalls and maint, but I can live with that...

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
This is what I fear most now as I am about ready to take advantage of my first free oil change. Not sure it is worth the risk. Spend $75-100 on an oil kit and do it myself or risk needing another $5-700 bench unlock service from a tuner? I have a OBDII port cover with "consult owner/do not flash" printed on it but not sure all of my verbal and written instructions will get through to the techs...
Definitely do it yourself and save the hassle of what the OP is going through. Its so easy to do and have the peace of mind it was done right. Plus you donā€™t want the lot attendants joy riding in your new Supra.

-RJM

OP
OP
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If it wasn't for the recall I wouldn't have gone. I had the ecutek dongle in the OB port as well as had the service order state do not flash ecu. My mistake for assuming they were capable of reading or doing two things at once.

The part that stings the most is my car was never locked at all from when I purchased from the dealer. It was a rare unicorn from the factory haha

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
If it wasn't for the recall I wouldn't have gone. I had the ecutek dongle in the OB port as well as had the service order state do not flash ecu. My mistake for assuming they were capable of reading or doing two things at once.

The part that stings the most is my car was never locked at all from when I purchased from the dealer. It was a rare unicorn from the factory haha
I don't mean to disappoint you further, but "recall" was pretty much changing the caps from left to right.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
OP
OP
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
well thats just a kick in the nuts. At least I have more ammo to go back to the dealer and get an answer to why my ecu was touched. thanks for forwarding me that!

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
Keep us posted on how this turns out for you.

OP
OP
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Just an update on what happened. Sent the ECU to my tuner, unlocked and remapped, and being sent back like nothing ever happened. Dealership thought about refunding me the price of the tune and once they saw the receipt I havenā€™t heard back lol
Sponsored