Torque management (torque vectoring) in 2025 4Runner?

Gen2/3/5owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 4Runner, 2015 Volvo XC60, 2002 Corvette
Longtime car guy here, including three forced induction cars over the years.
I’ll be curious to learn how Toyota manages torque for off roading. Having driven “off road” (challenging Forest Service roads) for decades, I know that linear and smooth power delivery is important on loose surfaces.
Toyota does brilliant engineering so I’m curious about how they manage the non-linear output of the forced induction engine in Gen. 6 from the perspective of managing traction on loose surfaces.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Have not done much off-roading either for a while, and that was on an ATV most recently. Heck, some of the new Toyota vehicles essentially drive themselves, with Crawl Control, etc. Would sure like to give it a try!

Henry

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4runner
I don't think the 2024 Tacoma has torque vectoring. Think it's something Toyota would add just to the 2025 4Runner 6th gen but not the Tacoma?

OP
OP

Gen2/3/5owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 4Runner, 2015 Volvo XC60, 2002 Corvette
Have not done much off-roading either for a while, and that was on an ATV most recently. Heck, some of the new Toyota vehicles essentially drive themselves, with Crawl Control, etc. Would sure like to give it a try!
I’m off road with some frequency, and the speed/traction control on my 2013 4Runner is remarkably capable.
Having started off roading with my ‘90, then moving to the ‘99, I prefer to drive without those aids. The ‘99 is so capable off road as it was equipped with the off road options. Not to infer I never use them on the ‘13, but they generally aren’t needed. I’ve learned to apply power as needed for the surface on which I’m driving.
I suspect you’ve touched on the way Toyota intends to manage the exaggerated nonlinear output of the forced induction engine:
through controlling traction. But Toyota’s engineers are so competent, it will be interesting to see what decisions they make.👍

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 FJ55, 2015 4Runner Trail, 2022 Rivian R1T
I’m off road with some frequency, and the speed/traction control on my 2013 4Runner is remarkably capable.
Having started off roading with my ‘90, then moving to the ‘99, I prefer to drive without those aids. The ‘99 is so capable off road as it was equipped with the off road options. Not to infer I never use them on the ‘13, but they generally aren’t needed. I’ve learned to apply power as needed for the surface on which I’m driving.
I suspect you’ve touched on the way Toyota intends to manage the exaggerated nonlinear output of the forced induction engine:
through controlling traction. But Toyota’s engineers are so competent, it will be interesting to see what decisions they make.👍
I started in a 1990 also and then got a 2015. I am interested in seeing how the new power plant performs in the LC and 6th gen, but I suspect they will make sure it's as good as previous generations. I have always found it very straightforward to navigate terrain in my Toyotas, but I'm not an advanced off roader. Just the usual weekender trails etc.