Touchy / grabby brake pedal fix?

Pinrut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Clarity Hybrid, 2020 Supra Premium Nocturnal
Loving my 2020 Supra I picked up about three weeks ago. All of my previous cars were Japanese.

Is there any way to reduce the sensitivity of the brake pedal? It's too sensitive at low speeds, making it hard to smoothly come to a stop.

I read that pads with less initial bite might help?

BBK with new calipers and rotors might be a nice upgrade, but how do these kits affect the braking balance between front to rear, I wouldn't be changing the rear calipers most likely.
Sponsored

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Most likely something I would not do but here it is... you can change to less effective brake pad as you mentioned which means you will have less braking power when you need it. also, if you change just change front brake pad, brake balance will be more rear biased than stock. which means it will have over steer characteristic during heavy braking than stock that you may not be able to control. Replacing it with big brake kit will worsen the issue you have now if that brake kit is a proper one. It should have more brake power and higher sensitivity which is needed for racing. This will actually make your car understeer.

Like I said, I wouldn't recommend changing any of this for your reason. My better recommendation is get used to at it as you will feel less sensitive/touchy as you drive more.

On other note, there are so many other reasons to update brake system including adding extra calipers and brake circuits.

OP
OP
Pinrut

Pinrut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah I see what you mean, I noticed that under hard braking the rear seems to wander around so I wouldn't want to bias more braking power to the rear...

Another option could be to swap the same aftermarket pads front and rear to try and maintain the same ratio.

My favorite brakes were on my friend's NB Miata without ABS... Long travel but tons of feedback and modulation available.

I've tried many different brands of pads over there years for both track and street... But having been out of the game for almost a decade, not sure what's hot and what's not anymore...

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Loving my 2020 Supra I picked up about three weeks ago. All of my previous cars were Japanese.

Is there any way to reduce the sensitivity of the brake pedal? It's too sensitive at low speeds, making it hard to smoothly come to a stop.

I read that pads with less initial bite might help?

BBK with new calipers and rotors might be a nice upgrade, but how do these kits affect the braking balance between front to rear, I wouldn't be changing the rear calipers most likely.
The key is timing your braking with the downshifts.
It will take some time but when you do it will be smooth.
Initially, press the brakes and then release and allow the downshifts and then brake to rest. Should be smooth .
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Pinrut

Pinrut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Initially, press the brakes and then release and allow the downshifts and then brake to rest. Should be smooth .
Hope this helps.

I see so you're using the brakes to trigger downshifts in the transmission and then relying on engine braking to slow the car down. Hadn't thought of this, used to manual transmissions...

OP
OP
Pinrut

Pinrut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just don't think you've had great brakes before, you'll get used to these.
I used to run a stoptech BBK with SS lines, and a master cylinder brace to stop firewall flex on my WRX wagon.

They had all the stopping power I needed and weren't extremely grabby. Ran all kinds of different pads on the street and track with that kit. The upgraded brakes were arguably the best part of that car :drive:

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
I agree that they are grabby, initial bite is abrupt after which they have good modulation. My only concern is on the track.

jorligan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ferrari 458, McLaren 650S, Porsche GT3, Alfa 4C, Ford Raptor, Porsche Macan, 21 Supra Turbo
2 days at Mid-Ohio. First session, same issue with the grabby brakes but shortly after the session started and I started braking hard from high speed, the grabbiness disappeared. I suspect that the brakes were not bedded or not bedded properly.

OP
OP
Pinrut

Pinrut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2 days at Mid-Ohio. First session, same issue with the grabby brakes but shortly after the session started and I started braking hard from high speed, the grabbiness disappeared. I suspect that the brakes were not bedded or not bedded properly.
Yes I noticed this as well, after I started braking more aggressively from higher speed, it seems to have made the brakes a lot less grabby, guess they just needed to be bed in

OP
OP
Pinrut

Pinrut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
that's what was saying earlier. you will be more comfortable as you use it.
Well that might be true, but the reason is that a physical change happened with the car to make the brakes less grabby...

Oh.Hi.MK5

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 2.0
Hope this helps.
I just picked up my 2.0 and am having a lot of issues getting this timing down in stop-and-go traffic, (which I thankfully haven't had to do a lot of yet). If I don't ease off before it downshifts I end up over-braking in a really jerky manner. Guess I've gotta learn when those downshifts happen exactly.
Sponsored