TWC

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Supra, 2003 Mustang Cobra (terminator), 1998 BMW M3
Here’s my dilemma.
My Supra makes 600 whp which is too much for the nitto g2 that I put on back when the car was stock. I have 19” titan7 wheels on it and would like to keep them instead of doing a drag set up since I don’t drag race, mostly highway stuff. Will order belaks if the car is making big power one day

the nitto rii 305/35 is going to rub with my eibach springs and they’re on back order

Mickey Thompson drag radial 285/35 is too narrow for an 11” wheel, don’t like the look

Toyo r888r is an option but I’ve seen a few Supra people not happy with them.

Saw a ugr tt lambo yesterday at cars and coffee with Toyo proxes rr. Researched them but can only find circuit and auto cross type info as I guess that’s their real intended purpose. They do come in 295/30/19 which would work but I’m curious on how their straight line traction is as I can’t find much online. I don’t drive the car daily or in rain so wet traction doesn’t matter to me. Anybody use these?
Sponsored

kyippee

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2022 M235
I currently have a set I use on track. I wouldn’t recommend it if you just want more grip on the street. Street tire wise if you want grip maybe something like RT660, A052, RE71R, Goodyear supercar 3/3R, CR-1, Trofeo R, etc. Those are high grip street tires.

agreed on R888R; they’re not loved on track either.

RR needs to warm up, and on the street you’d likely want a more autocross / soft 200W

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I just want to say that any "track tire", road course or drag, needs to be warmed up before they are extra sticky. There is no tire out there that is sticky cold. So what I am saying is that with 600hp, dont expect to have any traction unless you do a big smokey burnout first. And if you do that, we need a video.

OP
OP

TWC

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Supra, 2003 Mustang Cobra (terminator), 1998 BMW M3
Toyo R889R is an awesome tire for track but it would be awful for Drag. This tire needs to be warmed up before it yields proper grip. you should get Drag Radial which is constructed different than track use.
my issue is that I cannot find an appropriate sized drag radials for a 19x11 wheel but I am aware that’s what I need as I have them on my other car (proxes tq)

serialbooper

First Name
Kyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
nitto r2's are complete trash. i had a couple of issues with them. i drove them to the drag strip multiple times and any type of cornering at a higher speed was sketchy (on tian7 wheels as well at the time) im mid 500's and the traction wasn't the best even after getting them really hot, i had better luck with r888r's after the nittos. even on my 800hp z06 r888r's were fantastic for me.

like someone mentioned above im running rt660 falkens right now and love them, great tire for the street.

ieraperp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I've read good reviews about Toyo Proxes RR tires. I am seriously considering ordering a set on 4wheelonline.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
I've read good reviews about Toyo Proxes RR tires. I am seriously considering ordering a set on 4wheelonline.
Just keep in mind what the others above have said, it is not a drag tire. It is track tire, as in race track -- not drag strip -- that will require a great deal of heat in them before yielding peak grip, and will last competitively around 11-14 heat cycles. Source: me, I've gone through more sets of RRs racing than I care to remember.

ieraperp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Just keep in mind what the others above have said, it is not a drag tire. It is track tire, as in race track -- not drag strip -- that will require a great deal of heat in them before yielding peak grip, and will last competitively around 11-14 heat cycles. Source: me, I've gone through more sets of RRs racing than I care to remember.
Thank you for the feedback.

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor
Definitely agree with this. These tires are meant for road course work and getting enough heat into them will be tricky on the street. On track (road course) they perform decently well and are a fairly progressive tire although they lack grip compared to Hoosier R7s or A7s which have the same treadwear rating. They do last quite a while for 40 TW tires though and they are cheaper than the Hoosiers. SPEC E46 requires these tires for their dry tires so we run them on one of the spec E46 cars (Blue):

50441896758_acb568f8e3_h.jpg

51262745969_55832ad0bf_h.jpg

-Tom

Sponsored

Last edited: