Status
Not open for further replies.

910ps

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
Are they going to tell us it's moved to the "concept" phase ...again?

Definitely looking like a 2018 or later now.
Sponsored

Scino

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 WRX Limited, 2015 GLA250 AMG Sport
On track for engine development target 2020. The car will be unveiled in 2025.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
"The program to create the vehicle is “progressing according to plan” with the accord on the platform, Munich-based BMW said Monday in an e-mailed response to questions."

Essentially this is the only part of news contained in the brief article.

Progress is good!

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I hope we do, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't. The Lexus LF-LC concept is suppose to come into production next year as a 2017 SC. They did this concept in 2 different colors which was a design study. Similar things have been said about the FT-1 which was also brought out in 2 colors. Toyota has been 'pimping' the FT-1 at a lot of car shows lately including car meets. I wouldn't be surprised if the FT-1 is the actual concept for what is coming at this point.

I see this playing out the following way: 2017 Lexus SC (F) debut at The 2016 Detroit Auto show. And Toyota 'Supra' debut at the 2017 Detroit auto show as a 2018 model. Just like the first Lexus SC in 1992 and the MKIV Supra in 1993, 1 year apart.

celerity

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150 daily, weekend car shopping
And with that, I'm moving on. Maybe by the time the Supra comes out I'll be ready for a change from my next purchase.

JohnnyTX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GTS (05)
And with that, I'm moving on. Maybe by the time the Supra comes out I'll be ready for a change from my next purchase.
Seriously? Just because of a non-informative update by an unnamed BMW rep? Have some faith and patience people. :) The car still has plenty of time to arrive as a 2017 car.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I think that's reasonable. It's going to be a long time before we see a car. There is obviously no rush from Toyota.

When we saw such a seemingly complete car at the unveiling, and with the amount of marketing and pimping that Toyota has been doing of this thing, it would have seemed like a real car was forthcoming relatively imminently (like more seasoned sportscar companies do these days).

18 mos, 2 years, 3 years is a very long time for car people to wait, especially when there's really nothing solid upon which to form a prediction or expectation. To my knowledge, Toyota hasn't even said officially that they're going to sell a car. And by now, there have been new cars announced by competitors, and recent higher end new cars have hit the market and begun to depreciate. Other stuff has also become more appealing as the original gran turismo performance hopes have faded into more muted expectations.

Easier to move on to something else in the meantime, enjoy something else for awhile, bring attention back after it's launched, and buy one a couple few model years in.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Good, brief article worth a look.

http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...s-cars-nissan-gt-r-lexus-sc-and-toyota-supra/

nissan-gt-r-rendering-front.jpg

Everything they have to say seems pretty reasonable, although I think 2016 as a 2017 model for the Supra seems a little optimistic.

What We Know
When Toyota revealed its FT-1 concept at the 2014 Detroit auto show, the car recalled glorious models of the Japanese manufacturer’s sports-car past, notably the 2000GT and, yes, the revered Supra. The aerocentric FT-1 concept, conceived by Toyota’s California-based Calty Design Research arm, might not be representative of an upcoming production car’s ultimate styling and proportions. But a partnership between Toyota and BMW to share a new midsize sports-car platform dubbed “Silk Road” should give the project a solid foundation. Toyota has hinted the rear-wheel-drive production car will pack a twin-turbo, inline-six engine and possibly a turbo-four, both BMW-sourced.
Why It Matters
The Toyota Supra disappeared in 2002, and fans have been clamoring for its revival ever since. Despite cars like the Lexus RC F, Toyota needs another strong competitor in the increasingly capable enthusiast market. Unfortunately, the Scion FR-S hasn’t moved the needle, simply because it doesn’t make a strong enough statement. A Toyota Supra must be a super sports car, not simply sporty like the FR-S.
Potential Pitfalls
As noted, a ready-made audience of potential Supra buyers exists and is hungry. Hybrid power, though unlikely, would make the car less tuner-friendly and less appealing to aftermarket performance junkies. And then there is this: Toyota might elect to not use the Supra badge. Maybe the car would carry branding from Lexus instead, which would move it upmarket. This would be a risky move, but it’s probably safe to say that it’s unlikely, since creating more rivalry between Lexus and BMW wouldn’t suit the plan now in the works for cooperation between the two marques.
When to Expect It
Industry rumblings vary, but the Toyota Supra likely arrives either in 2016 as a 2017 model or 2017 as a 2018 model.

I agree we won't be seeing anything new from Nissan for some time, given that they continue to roll out updated models of the GT-R. That 2020 concept might end up being an accurate prediction of the model year for a new car. It seems like the Lexus is the dark horse which might actually hit showrooms this time next year. I'm looking forward to it.

Da Hmong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Impreza
Good summary. Hoping we see it next year as a 2017 model.

I've always wondered - since Toyota will presumably be able to use the jointly developed architecture for more than just the Supra, can't they then go and build a Lexus car using the same architecture and then compete with BMW in the same segment/price?

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
That's what i would have thought as well. Apparently the SC is going to be on its own architecture... I suspect the SC is intended to be more of a heavy GT car instead of the lightweight FT1. But the new joint platform is supposed to be modular so maybe Lexus could have more than a couple sportscars in their future.

JJR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CT200
As noted, a ready-made audience of potential Supra buyers exists and is hungry. Hybrid power, though unlikely, would make the car less tuner-friendly and less appealing to aftermarket performance junkies.
If the new Supra comes as a hybrid I really don't think it'll develop anywhere close to the following that the last gen had. The Supra name moved to a whole new level of legend because of how tuner friendly it was and how much the car was modified and embraced by 'junkies'

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
If the new Supra comes as a hybrid I really don't think it'll develop anywhere close to the following that the last gen had. The Supra name moved to a whole new level of legend because of how tuner friendly it was and how much the car was modified and embraced by 'junkies'
Don't think it has anything to do. Today hybrid also stands for performance. I can see in future, companies tuning as Google or Apple Car to free up more kW, reprogram acceleration and hack the autonomous driving so that the car could be driven manually.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.