Toyota confirmed 3 sports car lineup: Toyota exec wants to bring back Celica, MR2

Which lineup you think will become real at the end of the decade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loyo911

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
X5
One thing I keep wondering is if the comments regarding the "3 sports car line up" relates to Lexus also?

We're all thinking sub-86, 86, and Supra as the Toyota line up. What about Lexus? Could it see one built off the FT-1 platform?
Sponsored

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
One thing I keep wondering is if the comments regarding the "3 sports car line up" relates to Lexus also?

We're all thinking sub-86, 86, and Supra as the Toyota line up. What about Lexus? Could it see one built off the FT-1 platform?
Seems like a Lexus built off the FT-1 platform would be about the RC-F's size. Too much overlap for that to happen I think.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Lexus is another animal...

Rumors are that Lexus will be introducing more F-models across their line similar to Mercedes AMG. GS-F, LS-F, etc. in addition to the new RC-F and existing IS-F.

LF-LC is another completely new car, with specific details yet to be released.

AZ Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hoping for new Supra
I've seen a few sites report that Toyota confirmed that a sub-86 car is coming. Seems like a lot of new models to handle trying to round out the entire sports car line up in a few years.

So there's the sub-86 (supposedly dubbed the 69DZ internally), FT 86, and the MKV Supra.

Which do we see first and why?

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I think we'll definitely get a refreshed 86 before anything else, but not a new car per-se.

I can't see the sub-86 hitting the market before the Supra, especially since we haven't seen any real concepts yet (or have we?). Even though there haven't been any firm dates set for the Supra, it's already been in the works for some time now.

So I'd guess 1) re-freshed 86, 2) Supra, then tossup between new 86 and sub-86.

It depends on how sub the sub-86 will be... if it's not that dissimilar to the 86, Toyota will probably need to raise the bar on the 86 with a new car to clear space underneath first (or perhaps discontinue the 86 for a couple of years). If it's a really inexpensive car, they could keep the 86 where it is for awhile longer.

MACKSTER

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Beater Honda
I've seen a few sites report that Toyota confirmed that a sub-86 car is coming. Seems like a lot of new models to handle trying to round out the entire sports car line up in a few years.

So there's the sub-86 (supposedly dubbed the 69DZ internally), FT 86, and the MKV Supra.

Which do we see first and why?
I think that the newest rumor about the sub-86 car was based on a 2 year article. Anyways, Tada (chief engineer for the FR-S, MKV Supra and this sub-86 car) already confirmed that this car was in the works.

@Craigy is right I think we'll see the refreshed FR-S, Supra, then Sub-86.

I just hope that the sub-86 will come to the US. If a car is really small or really low on power then it might not make it here. Look at the Honda S660 convertible that was just announced but isn't coming here.

AZ Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hoping for new Supra
I must've missed that rumor back then. I know there was always speculation about a 3 sports car line up but I had never saw about the actual codename 69DZ until recently. I hope they offer it in the US, it would make sense to if they are going after the Miata as is rumored. Supposed to be super small and light.

bballr35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Elise
I don't think we see the sub-86 car for a long time. There hasn't been a single thing concrete on that car and judging by the long timelines Toyota has used from concepts to production, this could be a 2019 car for all we know.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
Agreed with everyone here. The sub 86 car will mostly likely be last.

FXuser

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3
I'm wondering if they will give the 86 a bump in power to position it a little closer to the Supra once the sub86 hits the market. It would make sense to close the gap instead of a hot or hipo version like i know they've been screaming for on ft86 for a long time now. There's only so many ways you can slice the relatively small market for sports cars.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The Frs is suppose to get a refresh For the 2017 model. Rumors are a slight HP bump possibly 10-15 HP, nothing crazy.

black-supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Very Fast
I hope the facelift 86 will have headlights like the original concept. Much cleaner looking IMO.

FT-86_Concept_studio_photoshoot_headlights_bumper_40.jpg

JT

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Via EVO:
http://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/19033/toyota-will-produce-three-strong-sports-car-lineup

March 9, 2017

Toyota will produce three-strong sports car lineup

'Three Brothers' core range consists of GT86, plus new Supra and lightweight MR2 successor

Toyota is set once again to be a major player in the performance car market. Echoing its line-up of 20 years ago, the heart of its sporting range will be 'The Three Brothers', according to legendary Toyota engineer, and Gazoo Racing chief, Tetsuya Tada.

That means a new Supra, the GT86 taking the place once held by successive generations of Celica, and a spiritual successor to the MR2 in the form of a lightweight sports car. Tada-San expressed Toyota’s desire to have the trio in production together 'As soon as possible'. With other performance "specials" like the new Yaris GRNM hot hatch, Toyota’s driver-focused offering should soon be unrecognisable from the barren period of recent years.

The confirmation of a compact, MR2-sized car is fantastic news for driving enthusiasts, and should at last mean some competition for the Mazda MX-5 in the segment. It isn't clear exactly what form this car will take, though it could be similar to the Toyota S-FR concept revealed at the 2015 Tokyo motor show.

That car, which featured subtle nods to the styling of the classic Toyota Sports 800 in a platform almost identically-sized to the current MX-5, took the form of a four-seater, front-engined and rear-drive coupe. Toyota subsequently showed the car in track-ready form as the S-FR Racing Concept. What was notable about both, particularly the brightly-coloured road-going model, was their production-ready feel - far closer than the concepts that originally previewed the GT86.

Given he was "Mr GT86", it’s no surprise that Tada-San is trying to make the entry-level sports car as simple and light as possible. However, to meet forthcoming emissions regulations Toyota is working on incorporating the hybrid tech from its LMP1 racers into the car, which means an MR2-style mid-engined layout could still apply, as battery storage in the overall package is easier. While the car may not be a hybrid from the start, Tada-San says Toyota is 'Working very hard' to make the hybrid sports car a reality.

Expect the GT86 lineage to continue, although updates will be minor. Toyota built a very limited-run GRNM version of the car for Japan last year with stickier tyres co-developed with Bridgestone, but there’s no word on whether Europe will get anything more potent.

One big reason the GT86 isn’t gaining lots more power is the incoming Supra, a car that make’s Tada-San’s face light up at the very mention of its name. Telling evo 'The car should be lighter than its rivals', Tada-San’s admiration for the Porsche Cayman over the larger, heavier 911 gives a hint to the new car’s size and character. The new car is being co-developed with BMW; the German manufacturer's Z4-replacing Z5 will be on the same platform.

Gazoo Racing is also considering building R5, R3 and R2 versions of the Yaris for private entrants in rallying, particularly after the strong start to Toyota’s WRC campaign this season.
Sponsored