Toyota Crown Returns to the US with Bold Style and New Hybrid Max Powertrain

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
That's excellent news... but we aren't getting the Crown sedan in the U.S., are we? Most likely just the ugly crossover version with "Crown" badges on it.
I don't understand why, when it's nothing more than a Highlander with a different front & rear fascia.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
They might call it the Grand Highlander

OP
OP
Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
That's excellent news... but we aren't getting the Crown sedan in the U.S., are we? Most likely just the ugly crossover version with "Crown" badges on it.
I have no idea, but it would make sense with the Avalon getting the axe after this model year.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
We've all heard the rumors up to this point and this was very cynically predictable.

We get an SUV badged "Crown" that isn't actually the Toyota Crown sedan.

With the Avalon gone at least the Camry is still a sedan (for now).

https://www.motor1.com/news/580009/toyota-crown-suv-variant-us/

Toyota's lineup of SUVs will allegedly grow next year with the introduction of the Crown SUV. A new Reuters report says that the automaker will expand the Crown brand to include a high-riding model, complementing the sedan. Not only will it go on sale in Japan, but Toyota has plans to export the new model to China and North America.

Details are scarce at the moment, but the publication spoke to three people about the company's plans. It'll allegedly arrive in three configurations – hybrid, plug-in, and fully electric. The report says that sales will begin as soon as the summer of 2023, but not every market will receive every configuration. The plug-in hybrid will stay in the domestic market.

According to the report, the hybrid and plug-in hybrid will launch first, with the full-electric variant following in 2024. However, two of Reuters' sources said that the company is still finalizing export plans for that model. The report doesn't have any other information about its platform, powertrains, or design.

The new SUV could sit above the Sequoia in the brand's lineup, possibly serving as a replacement for the discontinued Land Cruiser in the US. If it's a range-topping model, it should also come with all the latest bells and whistles. Toyota still offers the Land Cruiser in other markets. Toyota declined to talk with Reuters about its alleged plans.

This isn't Toyota's first time expanding a sedan model to include a crossover. The company launched the 2022 Corolla Cross last year. Consumers are gravitating toward crossovers and SUVs, and Toyota is moving with the market. However, the iconic Crown sedan isn't going anywhere yet. The Crown will undergo a thorough refresh that'll debut sometime this summer. Toyota introduced the 15th-generation in 2018 and gave the four-door an update in 2021, which included new technology.

Toyota has expanded its lineup of crossovers and SUVs over the last few years. Adding a range-topping model makes sense as people are spending more on new cars than ever before, and Toyota will do that by expanding the Crown brand further beyond the company’s home country.

OP
OP
Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
https://bestcarweb.jp/backnumber/419251

jpg?_ga=2.79333015.2027920123.1653458232-944478598.jpg

Toyota's new car strategy is noisy.

First of all, SCOOP information of the next type Crown. This year, we regularly deliver information on the new Crown, but in May, we will get the latest information. We have reported the SCOOP information that the next Crown will be born in June 2023 as a 4-door coupe with FF base 4WD, but it has been confirmed.

However, the development of an SUV type crown based on it received fierce opposition from dealers, and we hurriedly obtained information that development was frozen! Instead, I got the surprising information that I started the development of a new FR type based on the current model. These stories are posted in detail with expected CG.

Also, the Prius, an important car for Toyota. Information on the next SCOOP of this is also posted. The next model that will appear in February 2023 is super stylish!

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ This is a very interesting turn if true. To say that there is actual opposition to a popular model with a long history being turned into an SUV/crossover?? That's refreshing to say the least.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Is anyone even buying 4 door sedans any more?

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ugh. The poor Toyota Crown deserves better than this crossover shape. Although I guess it could have been far worse had Toyota gone full "Crown Mach E" with the exterior design.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
This news to me! We’re getting the BZ4X but I haven’t heard anything about a “Crown”…it would be nice if they just made more of the Rav4 hybrids, we have a ton of back orders!
Sponsored