Toyota GR GT3 Concept / Lexus LFR

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
yeah, there's no way this has a manual lol
It would be really nice if it got a manual transmission but I highly doubt it would be considered given the need for a hybrid drivetrain. While a manual can technically be paired with a hybrid system like Honda's IMA or a super mild hybrid system like Mazda's "I-Eloop" it likely is not possible in most other more aggressive hybrid applications.

The Supra MKV, GR86, GR/MN Yaris and GR Corolla are most likely going to be the last performance manual vehicles offered by Toyota as long as their individual platforms are still in production.

And unlike with the Supra MKV's pure gas-combustion architecture I'm not bothered by that because whatever the GT3 Racing Concept turns out to be it is (presumably) being designed from the get-go as a hybrid gas-electric performance vehicle.

Then again it does depend on how aggressive the hybrid system is designed to be. It's a no-brainer for the MKV introduced in 2019 but it's a much tougher thing to pull off and appease regulations for in a car that will be released in the middle-to-latter part of this decade.

Take a look into speculation on how the Miata will be affected by similar constraints. In a way that car has even tougher challenges to overcome in order to meet upcoming regulations and still remain true to every aspect of what we have come to expect from a Miata. Current speculation on that is it may be able to get away with becoming a mild hybrid as standard without adding that much more weight and still offer a manual transmission. But then the question is will that be enough for its next generation... or will its shift to hybrid have to be more drastic and thus kill off the Miata's long tradition of offering a manual transmission version? For the Miata it will happen eventually no matter what but the question is will it be for the very next generation or the generation after that?

Still, regarding the GR GT3 concept and Mazda's RX Vision concept I'm excited for the result that will come from both cars in production form. I know they will impress from both companies.

Last edited:

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
It would be really nice if it got a manual transmission but I highly doubt it would be considered given the need for a hybrid drivetrain. While a manual can technically be paired with a hybrid system like Honda's IMA or a super mild hybrid system like Mazda's "I-Eloop" it likely is not possible in most other more aggressive hybrid applications.

The Supra MKV, GR86, GR/MN Yaris and GR Corolla are most likely going to be the last performance manual vehicles offered by Toyota as long as their individual platforms are still in production.

And unlike with the Supra MKV's pure gas-combustion architecture I'm not bothered by that because whatever the GT3 Racing Concept turns out to be it is (presumably) being designed from the get-go as a hybrid gas-electric performance vehicle.

Then again it does depend on how aggressive the hybrid system is designed to be. It's a no-brainer for the MKV introduced in 2019 but it's a much tougher thing to pull off and appease regulations in as car that will be released in the middle-to-latter part of this decade.

Take a look into speculation on how the Miata will be affected by similar constraints. In a way that car has even tougher challenges to overcome in order to meet upcoming regulations and still remain true to every aspect of what we have come to expect from a Miata. Current speculation on that is it may be able to get away with becoming a mild hybrid as standard without adding that much more weight and still offer a manual transmission. But then the question is will that be enough for its next generation... or will its shift to hybrid have to be more drastic and thus kill off the Miata's long tradition of offering a manual transmission version? For the Miata it will happen eventually no matter what but the question is will it be for the very next generation or the generation after that?

Still, regarding the GR GT3 concept and Mazda's RX Vision concept I'm excited for the result that will come from both cars in production form. I know they will impress from both companies.
My guess is Toyota DCT

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My guess is Toyota DCT
Possibly yes. A new Toyota/Mazda DCT. Maybe Aisin will be their production partner/supplier for something like that or maybe someone else will make it for them.

Or... as we've seen with current trends, maybe it will be a further evolution of the conventional automatic to the standard or above the standard of the ZF8 transmission.

It will probably also depend on the price point as well. For an A100 Supra and Mazda RX that both share a co-developed platform/chassis, what will each car be marketed at MSRP-wise? Will they be aiming to hit current Supra MKV and upcoming V6-TT Nissan Z territory or will the starting prices be much higher?

With a much higher starting price I can see a DCT of some design being standard. At the current pricing for the MKV and new Z I'd much more expect a state of the art automatic to keep costs lower and thus the cars more accessible.

While I expect both cars to use performance versions from Mazda's new inline-six engine family there's the outside chance that Mazda actually will at long last market their version of the car with a rotary engine.... for as many production years as they can get away with it. I highly doubt that but it's possible. And that difference alone could present differentiation in the pricing of their car versus the Toyota version.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Possibly yes. A new Toyota/Mazda DCT. Maybe Aisin will be their production partner/supplier for something like that or maybe someone else will make it for them.

Or... as we've seen with current trends, maybe it will be a further evolution of the conventional automatic to the standard or above the standard of the ZF8 transmission.

It will probably also depend on the price point as well. For an A100 Supra and Mazda RX that both share a co-developed platform/chassis, what will each car be marketed at MSRP-wise? Will they be aiming to hit current Supra MKV and upcoming V6-TT Nissan Z territory or will the starting prices be much higher?

With a much higher starting price I can see a DCT of some design being standard. At the current pricing for the MKV and new Z I'd much more expect a state of the art automatic to keep costs lower and thus the cars more accessible.

While I expect both cars to use performance versions from Mazda's new inline-six engine family there's the outside chance that Mazda actually will at long last market their version of the car with a rotary engine.... for as many production years as they can get away with it. I highly doubt that but it's possible. And that difference alone could present differentiation in the pricing of their car versus the Toyota version.
I mean, a name like GT3 carries a lot of weight, there has to be some kind of homologation involved

kappa_md

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 GR, Toyota GR Yaris, Honda Civic Type R

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
yeah, there's no way this has a manual lol

100%. If it's being designed/built to go racing, the is absolutely no way, nor any reason for it to have a manual transmission. Not even a DCT. Sequential box it'll be.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
100%. If it's being designed/built to go racing, the is absolutely no way, nor any reason for it to have a manual transmission. Not even a DCT. Sequential box it'll be.
It feels like for the first time in a while, Toyota is waking up

kappa_md

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 GR, Toyota GR Yaris, Honda Civic Type R
TOYOTA has won Le Mans 4x consecutively. It has also WON WEC, WRC & Dakar. All are TOP motorsport categories. All of these on the background of a strong & resilient automotive business platform (world, US, Japan etc) in the midst of the pandemic.

Great things up ahead for everyone especially for us customers as TOYOTA makes “ever-better” cars. It can only get better.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)