Toyota GR GT3 Concept / Lexus LFR

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Looks like Toyota will be doing their GR GT3 as a production car without a co-developed Mazda sibling coupe. Maybe at best the I6 engine architecture will be used but that's an even longer shot now.

Sad news for Mazda as well.

https://www.motor1.com/news/575077/mazda6-rwd-not-happening/

https://jalopnik.com/that-rear-wheel-drive-mazda-6-successor-that-sounded-to-1848685993
People have been saying this for quite some time (a couple of months give or take). I don't get why people were so insistent on Mazda.
Sponsored

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
People have been saying this for quite some time (a couple of months give or take). I don't get why people were so insistent on Mazda.
I have not been hearing the rumor downplayed, given the strong similarities between the GR GT3 Concept and Mazda's last RX-Vision Coupe concept (I think that was its name?) when both were overlaid to compare dimensions and shapes.

This news does kill that speculation dead for certain.

But the Mazda 6 had little to nothing to do with this does it?
Mazda's new RWD architecture, their new family of hybrid inline-six engines including the possibility of a turbocharged variant, Mazda's mention of not just SUVs coming from all of that but a new RWD sedan and a potential RWD coupe which they had a concept for and Gazoo Racing's track record of co-developing many of their models with another automaker all fueled speculation that Toyota might have teamed up with Mazda.

But if Mazda will no longer pursue a RWD sedan and RWD coupe of their own then that speculation has been put to rest.

So does this make the modern 2000GT more likely?
Your guess is as good as mine. Now I just want the GR GT3 Concept to survive and become a production car as planned (as a Toyota hopefully).

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
But if Mazda will no longer pursue a RWD sedan and RWD coupe of their own then that speculation has been put to rest.

Well... they implied the rwd mazda 6 is dead, didn't say anything about the RX (and the L6 engine is still likely to see use in the SUVs).

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well... they implied the rwd mazda 6 is dead, didn't say anything about the RX (and the L6 engine is still likely to see use in the SUVs).
Oh yes, the new inline-six hybrid and inline-four hybrid engines will see commercial use and that vehicle architecture is already being designed into two new upscale SUVs as we speak and soon some crossovers are likely.

True, they didn't rule out an RX coupe model specifically but even if it hypothetically were still on the table what other chassis architecture would they build it around other than this one which they just designed for RWD-based RWD/AWD applications?

I would love for Mazda to surprise us with an RX coupe announcement but even with all the most recent R&D improvements they have made to the Wankel engine we all know how much of a long shot one of those directly powering drive wheels is at this point (and I'm saying this a fan of rotaries myself).

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ Thank you for the info Supra93! It looks nice in those renders. I am not sure if the rumor that this might actually come out as a Lexus holds any water or not but here is hoping this model will be in the Toyota's GR lineup rather than be a Lexus.

...Not that I'm against Lexus having a two door low to the ground sportscar in their lineup that doesn't weigh as much as an LS500 or cost $350k but this doesn't feel like it should be a Lexus.

kappa_md

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 GR, Toyota GR Yaris, Honda Civic Type R
^^ Thank you for the info Supra93! It looks nice in those renders. I am not sure if the rumor that this might actually come out as a Lexus holds any water or not but here is hoping this model will be in the Toyota's GR lineup rather than be a Lexus.

...Not that I'm against Lexus having a two door low to the ground sportscar in their lineup that doesn't weigh as much as an LS500 or cost $350k but this doesn't feel like it should be a Lexus.
Lexus is planning to go All Electric by 2035 so I’m thinking this GT3 will be staying with the Toyota GR brand 😃 👍

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Maybe a limited release with the return of the 2000GT nameplate? :dunno:

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus is planning to go All Electric by 2035 so I’m thinking this GT3 will be staying with the Toyota GR brand 😃 👍
Let's hope! Lexus has plenty of big plans of their own with new designs and a gradual all-electric lineup (after hybrids, just like Toyota) so yes I think the GR GT3 is better suited on the Toyota side.

Though personally I also hope it has something to do with a sixth generation Supra rather than a totally different model. The Supra should live on into new generations past just the MKV.
Sponsored