Toyota has really exposed the BMW "tax": Supra vs Z4 Pricing

AZSupra

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTI
While the 6 cylinder is not yet available to build on bmwusa.com, the 4 cyl is.

Base price of a Z4 4 cyl is nearly even with the Supra. After adding options to make it compare to a base Supra, it is right at a fully loaded premium Supra.

I know it's cool to hate on this car, but it seems like a real value to me. I own a German car now, the amount of hating coming from euro enthusiasts,is staggering. Here is an opportunity to have a German engineered car for 20 - 30% discount.

I am very impressed how Toyota priced this car compared to its twin

I look forward to Z4 owners trying to justify the difference.
Sponsored

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Maybe in USA... here z4 m40i with 8ZF before any options starts at 1k euro LESS than Launch Supra ;) I still think it should be cheaper.
btw 0-100kph in EU is said to be 4.6 for Z4 while Supra 4.3... ;)

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
The UK Z4 is even further than that, £49k for M40i and £52k for Supra! (If I remember right lol)

MT6

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I look forward to Z4 owners trying to justify the difference.
Z4 is the original, Supra is "fake". Inhouse development vs. badge engineering justifies a big price difference
Z4 has latest BMW tech while the Supra uses a lot of older and cheaper BMW parts. New technology and additional R&D effort add value to the product and justifiy a certain price difference.
Z4 has more power & better performance
Convertible vs Coupe
BMW vs Toyota image

OP
OP

AZSupra

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTI
Z4 is the original, Supra is "fake". Inhouse development vs. badge engineering justifies a big price difference
Z4 has latest BMW tech while the Supra uses a lot of older and cheaper BMW parts. New technology and additional R&D effort add value to the product and justifiy a certain price difference.
Convertible vs Coupe
BMW vs Toyota image

What is the older and cheaper parts argument? I know some of the trim is from older BMW models. The 12 speaker JBL is unique to Toyota, while BMW uses H&K.

I hope they enjoy paying $2,500 for "M track pack" which comes standard on the Supra.

Blissya

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Golf Gti, Up Gti
Z4 cheaper even after ticking all of the options!

I just selected every single thing that added a cost, even a space saver wheel, every option package. And in the uk it still undercuts the supra that you can order now. (Apart from if you select yellow supra)

28FFD84D-7C94-4107-97FB-7D772A4C0EEE.jpeg

MT6

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
What is the older and cheaper parts argument? I know some of the trim is from older BMW models. The 12 speaker JBL is unique to Toyota, while BMW uses H&K.
The steering wheel, HVAC control unit, audio panel, infotainment system, Idrive controls seem to be from the old BMW f30 3 series. That is just the visible part on the interior, surely there's more behind the panels to support these systems.

I understand that some people don't care, because "Supra" or "racecar". But I also think a lot of new car buyers in this segment are willing to pay a premium for the latest stuff.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Guys, obviously there are economies of scale at play here, home markets and 2 power house automotive giants who collaborated on a project together but are still competitors at the end of the day. Considering where these cars are built, its pretty obvious BMW played the home card and priced Toyota out of their own home market. Sorry Euros, take it up with BWM brass. It terms of cost for production, the Supra without the complications of a convertible, which always add cost to whatever model they are based on, is going to be at least a little cheaper to manufacture. Apparently the Tax goes both ways depending on which market the car is being sold in.

Convertible vs Coupe
BMW vs Toyota image
Wow there beemer fanboy, try and be at least a little objective there. First off, there is no differences under the skin of these cars. Exact same diffs, trannies, suspension, brakes and engine. Even the Z's interior doesn't appear to be any more premium then the Supras. From what we can tell so far, the difference in output between the Z4's current top end motor and Supras is just software, maybe an exhaust system change. There is virtually no cost difference here to explain the power difference, its a company politics thing. And if the rumors are true, we will likely have a GRMN trim added at some point with the 382hp motor.

And before you get all high and mighty about how much better your new Z4 is then the Supra, you might want to remember that Toyota paid for half of its development and it probably wouldn't even exist if they hadn't.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
The steering wheel, HVAC control unit, audio panel, infotainment system, Idrive controls seem to be from the old BMW f30 3 series. That is just the visible part on the interior, surely there's more behind the panels to support these systems.

I understand that some people don't care, because "Supra" or "racecar". But I also think a lot of new car buyers in this segment are willing to pay a premium for the latest stuff.
So a bunch of junk only a BMW fanatic would even notice or care about? I'd be happier if the car came with the old cable based slide control switches the old mk2 Supras to be honest, they are way more reliable. Anything they can do to bring the price of this car down sounds good to me!

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to keep in mind is that all car companies price models to be profitable globally but not necessarily regionally. So if they know one market is wiling to pay more, they'll raise the price there so they can subsidize the price in other markets where the brand/car is less popular.

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
Whats even further frustrating is the fact Toyota really have no excuse to vary much at all globally.

[text wall deleted]

If the USA can offer it at 55k USD, then the rest of the world should be similar. The UK should be seeing this car at 42k Tops, and the same notion goes for all of the EU, Asia, Australia, everywhere.
Why stop there? Maybe Toyota should just hand them out Oprah style "And you get a Supra! And you get a Supra. Everybody's gettin' a SUPRA!!!!"

MT6

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Wow there beemer fanboy, try and be at least a little objective there. First off, there is no differences under the skin of these cars. Exact same diffs, trannies, suspension, brakes and engine. Even the Z's interior doesn't appear to be any more premium then the Supras.
It doesn't really matter, market behavior is not always objective or rational.
When a company borrows technology from a competitor, the end product will almost always be perceived as less valuable. That's why in this case people will tend to pay more for the Z4. There are dozens of examples like this in the car industry.

From what we can tell so far, the difference in output between the Z4's current top end motor and Supras is just software, maybe an exhaust system change. There is virtually no cost difference here to explain the power difference, its a company politics thing.
Yeah, but still... the Z4 has the advantage. Nothing beats more power from the factory vs. DIY tuning just to get to BMW levels.

Blissya

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Golf Gti, Up Gti
Whats even further frustrating is the fact Toyota really have no excuse to vary much at all globally.

Sure each country is expected have differing pricing on the A90, resulting from things like logistics and taxes, but overall the car should NOT drastically different. Yet it is, and its not consistent logic either.

The highest listed USA price I can see is $55,250 USD for launch edition. Just like most cars these day, globally the USA is the cheapest global offering of the model, despite being a forreign trading block, thousands and thousands of miles away from the manufacturing plant in Europe, and with a mountain of trade wars and trade disputes ongoing globally at present..

Compare this to the UK, where using current exchange rates, the same car is 70,000 USD (Possbly $84,000 if VAT is applicable - TBD). Either way that's a huge amount more for a car that's built not too far from the UK, which is also fully connected to the UK via a border-less road network, and entirely within the EU trading block.

If the USA can offer it at 55k USD, then the rest of the world should be similar. The UK should be seeing this car at 42k Tops, and the same notion goes for all of the EU, Asia, Australia, everywhere.
Exactly! I’d have already used my reservation to order one if they were the equivalent of $55k ie about £43k but unless it turn out to have impeccable reviews etc it just doesn’t beat the competition in UK. People say a cayman is more, but I specced the new cayman T with the options I want (not everything that Toyota insists) and it’s £1k less.

Leaving the reservation fee in for now though, see if it gets a test drive!
Sponsored