Toyota "Preparing" Hotter Supra GRMN, Says Chief Engineer

KahnBB6

Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
Damn so they’re not renewing the Supra for 3 more years??
Unless something has changed, the Supra MKV should be discontinued after MY2026 (in the actual year 2025).

What is both irksome and troubling is that the Forbes article implies that the Supra model in general won’t continue into an A100 generation. I won’t believe that until it’s official but if it ever became the case then it would be extremely short sighted and a waste.

So long as the Supra never becomes an SUV (as happened with the Eclipse and Mustang) I don’t see why, after this generation, it can’t roll with some form of electrification and still be engineered to be true to its spirit of what it is as a sportscar and sports GT.

They only just brought it back after all.
Advertisement

Islindur

Reaction score
Car(s)
Yellow Supra (:
so pretty much all those people waiting for a 2022 or 2023 to get a manual... they are not getting it so might as well buy now....
Ppl waiting for a manual on A90 remind me about those who waited for a stock turbo in 86/BRZ year after year :D
Altho manual in A90 is 100x more likely, esp with 400Z on the horizon.

JustaCarguy.

First Name
Steven
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 WRX Hatchback
The fck? I wouldn't trust forbes with car news. But who knows, I did see someone comment about how "supposedly" Toyota is killing off the mkv because of poor sales. They were more than likely talking crap though. 🤷‍♂️

21Supra

Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring
The fck? I wouldn't trust forbes with car news. But who knows, I did see someone comment about how "supposedly" Toyota is killing off the mkv because of poor sales. They were more than likely talking crap though. 🤷‍♂️
probably some dude just pulling stuff out of his ass. Historically 2 seat sports cars have never been a “huge” seller so I can’t imagine Toyota was expecting huge numbers. Besides the cars seem to go in and out of dealerships for the most part so it kinda seems like they are selling just about what they are making without too much trouble. Doubt they were expecting RAV4 or Corolla type sales numbers.

that would be something though wouldn’t it? Stop making a car after 2-3 years in production. Guess that would help us with resale value though? Maybe?

XtremeMaC

First Name
MaC
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
probably some dude just pulling stuff out of his ass. Historically 2 seat sports cars have never been a “huge” seller so I can’t imagine Toyota was expecting huge numbers. Besides the cars seem to go in and out of dealerships for the most part so it kinda seems like they are selling just about what they are making without too much trouble. Doubt they were expecting RAV4 or Corolla type sales numbers.

that would be something though wouldn’t it? Stop making a car after 2-3 years in production. Guess that would help us with resale value though? Maybe?
As is, it was difficult for Tada to get funding for the life of the program. with 2-3 it's impossible to amortize all R&D and tooling costs.. wishful thinking...
Even Lexus's ISF isn't a high seller, and well LFA :p so, they throw some money around for flagship..

KahnBB6

Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
S58MT S58MT S58MT S58MT S58MT S58MT 🤞🤞
I really hope that's an option as well on the GRMN. I also hope it would not be the *only* MKV with an I-6 engine and manual transmission given that the 200 examples will be incredibly rare, very expensive and more or less garage queens.

OP
OP

supraboi

Reaction score
Car(s)
GS300
https://bestcarweb.jp/news/259869

■ 2023 The last Supra is now available in a straight 6 turbo, 520 horsepower "GRMN specification" !!!
● Toyota Supra GRMN

The improved model was released in October last year, and the 3L turbo engine has been powered up from 340ps to 387ps at once, but the best car scoop team has already caught further information.

The GRMN specification, which has been rumored since its debut, is on standby. Zubari will be launched in 2023, limited to 200 units.

20210310_SCOOP_TOYOTA_01A.jpg
The GRMN specification will appear in 2023 as the last model of the Supra. Making full use of the knowledge gained from participating in the race, the car will boast overwhelming potential (the image is the predicted CG by the best car editorial department).

The engine is a high-power version of the straight-six, 3L turbo that is installed in the new BMW M3 / M4 introduced in Japan the other day. Information that the Supra GRMN has a maximum torque of around 67.0kgm at 520ps.

The M3 and M4 display 510ps, but the information in the best car is 520ps. GR may make its own tuning.

The transmission to be combined is a 7-speed DCT, which is the first 2-pedal MT for a Toyota car (current Supra is an 8-speed AT).

20210310_SCOOP_TOYOTA_04.jpg
The normal but glamorous body is likely to be even wider. A large GT wing will also be installed (the image is a predicted CG by the best car editorial department)

Of course, the GR development team is currently energetically testing to strengthen the body and suspension along with the power-up.

In 2019, Morizou (President Akio Toyoda) will take the steering wheel and participate in the Nürburgring 24-hour race, and will feed back the knowledge gained from these racing activities to commercial vehicles.

When it comes to loading a high-power engine that exceeds 500ps, it is common to switch to 4WD, but of course the Supra remains FR. Moreover, it is not easy to secure stability with a wheelbase that is unusually short in this class of 2470 mm. I'm always curious about what kind of car it will be.

20210310_SCOOP_TOYOTA_05.jpg
Information that the engine has a maximum output of 520ps and a maximum torque of around 62.0kgm. What kind of performance will it perform?

More importantly, the Supra is said to be the last evolution of this GRMN specification.

It will be released in 2023 and will be discontinued in 2025 including the normal grade. There are no plans for the future, and Supra will finish its role.

In the future, sports cars with pure gasoline engines will disappear one after another.

Of course, new sports cars will be born in the future with electric cars such as hybrids and EVs, and I'm really looking forward to it, but it is certain that the end of an era will come.

For that reason, the existence of this Supra GRMN is valuable, and the limited 200 cars are likely to be a fierce competition. The price is expected to be around 12 to 13 million yen.

● Supra GRMN
・ Overall length x width x height: 4410 x 1900 x 1285mm
・ Wheelbase: 2470mm
・ Vehicle weight: 1580kg
・ Engine: Straight 6, 3L + turbo
・ Maximum output / maximum torque: 520ps / 67.0kgm
・ Drive system: FR
・Estimated release date: 2023
・ Estimated price: 12 million to 13 million yen

Advertisement

Advertisement