👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

WF MKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
06’ tC, Renaissance Red 3.0 Premium Supra
Has anyone here driven a newer BMW manual?....they shift like $hit. No soul, rev matching up and down, snappy clutch.... I'll stick to my auto. (Never thought I'd say that after owning more than a dozen manual vehicles.)
I’m glad you mentioned this! The drive isn’t the same compared to other manuals I’ve drove. If Toyota configures this possible manual trans, I hope it has that snap/touch as a manual should. Not a BMW classy/granny feel to it where there’s little life after you down shift for more torque.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My standpoint is this; i could give 2 shits about a Manual Supra, all i know is that a ZF8 Supra will always dogshit on a 6 spd Supra all day (unless you have a downpipe/tuned 6 spd going against a stock w/ ZF8).. NOW where i will really get mad is if i hear about "6 spd Supra gets shitted on by new Nissan Z." ZF8 to the rescue

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
My standpoint is this; i could give 2 shits about a Manual Supra, all i know is that a ZF8 Supra will always dogshit on a 6 spd Supra all day (unless you have a downpipe/tuned 6 spd going against a stock w/ ZF8).. NOW where i will really get mad is if i hear about "6 spd Supra gets shitted on by new Nissan Z." ZF8 to the rescue
Newsflash….it has nothing to do with speed.

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd hardtop & 93 Miata
Welcome back, haven't seen you online in nearly 2 years now.
Thanks, glad to be back. Supras are my heart.. just have to stop second guessing it.

I'm pretty blown away at the growth of the community here - great to see. I wonder if the manual news will bring back others/invite more to the table.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Has anyone here driven a newer BMW manual?....they shift like $hit. No soul, rev matching up and down, snappy clutch.... I'll stick to my auto. (Never thought I'd say that after owning more than a dozen manual vehicles.)
That is not what they are saying about the manual in the new manual only M4 base.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
I’m glad you mentioned this! The drive isn’t the same compared to other manuals I’ve drove. If Toyota configures this possible manual trans, I hope it has that snap/touch as a manual should. Not a BMW classy/granny feel to it where there’s little life after you down shift for more torque.
You can improve BMW shifting a lot by removing the clutch delay valve and swapping out a few bushings. Otherwise there will be some good aftermarket solutions as always. Autosolutions kits are one of higher quality aftermarket shifters in the BMW world and I'm guessing they'll probably make something for the supra eventually too.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I am starting to feel like everyone is in Denial.
It's not that I'm in denial, it just isn't real yet. There are a million reasons for giant-ass corporations to not announce things until they announce them. Most of them are related to how the market is going to react. Toyota announcing something, then un-announcing it because of some sort of defect, flaw, production problem, distribution deal failure, etc. will cause the stock to fluctuate. This is bad. Toyota doesn't want its stock to fluctuate.

Remember, Toyota doesn't give a fuck about anything but their stock price, not manual transmissions, tuning, or even Sports Car vs EV vs SUV vs Motorcycle. They want to make sure they have something that will sell, positively affecting the stock.

Prematurely announcing something that doesn't get released can serious harm investor confidence.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
You can improve BMW shifting a lot by removing the clutch delay valve and swapping out a few bushings. Otherwise there will be some good aftermarket solutions as always. Autosolutions kits are one of higher quality aftermarket shifters in the BMW world and I'm guessing they'll probably make something for the supra eventually too.
I was going to say the same thing. The manual in my MKV7 Golf R was pretty meh until I did a few simple mods which shortened the throws and reduced all the sloppiness.

There is too much evidence and insider info that has been leaked not to believe the manual is coming at this point. I think the real question is what will the price be (i.e. will they only allow you to buy it with certain packages/configurations), and the second is how many can they actually make before the Supra goes bye bye. Could see a lot more demand than supply and some crazy markups.

Bassoonytoon

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nitro Yellow / 2017 86 Special Editio
Not to mention safety or perceived safety. Remember Toyota’s 2009 acceleration issue. Even on a Supra which has very few units relative to the rest of their fleet, Toyota will want to make sure that there are no last-minute issues. If something comes up, this could completely halt production. Thus, it doesn’t matter if one person is 100% sure it’s coming, if one engineer or lawyer says otherwise, it may not happen.

Now that said, I suspect the manual will come but until it is actually released (not just announced and certainly not just rumours), it is anything but confirmed.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Thus, it doesn’t matter if one person is 100% sure it’s coming, if one engineer or lawyer says otherwise, it may not happen.
I've worked at <large corporation> where exactly this happened. A couple months before product launch, a product with millions and millions of dollars was spent on, both legal and marketing came in with concerns and the project - completely engineered and ready to go was scrapped.

Bassoonytoon

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nitro Yellow / 2017 86 Special Editio
I've worked at <large corporation> where exactly this happened. A couple months before product launch, a product with millions and millions of dollars was spent on, both legal and marketing came in with concerns and the project - completely engineered and ready to go was scrapped.
Exactly. There’s no denial here - just the objective reality of business.

Now as for the subjective matter that some of us are in denial… for those who want a manual, I’ll be happy for them if it happens. As someone who has had manual cars since I started driving, I won’t be bothered. The auto in the Supra is awesome! Even launching, I can build boost easily by holding the brake down and the car squats and launches far better than with a clutch. This auto is engaging and as fun as any manual I’ve owned (including my motorcycles). It’s that good. The shift points are perfect. Downshifts are so much fun! It is easy to keep the car in the ideal power range. Adding a clutch and fewer gears… I don’t know. If you can’t feel engaged in this car as it is, I don’t know that a manual will solve that.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.