👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Sheetttt! All I can say is I'm excited for more options for people!

Why not be able to have the car the way you want it? I used to talk shit about autos in my college time but now I can't see myself going back in LA traffic.

I hope this bring in more people to the car cause most of the hate I would see from car reviewers was there was no Manual.
Sponsored

SupraBAD

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 Competition, '02 Ford Lightning
I feel like many people, not in here, that are "waiting" for the manual Supra are people who wouldn't own one anyway lol.

I was at a meet last week and some 18 year old was scream-talking to me about I WORK AT TOYOTA AND HAVE SEEN THE PAMPHLETS, DID YOU KNOW THERE'S A MANUAL VERSION COMING OUT?!

That's my post. That's what I have to add. ??
I kind of disagree with that a little. I would consider it again with a manual but back when I got rid of mine, there was no real hard evidence Toyota would make it happen so I went with another BMW instead that did have a manual, lol. People I know loved the car but the deal breaker for them was the no manual option. Honestly, after the initial excitement of owning one wore off, it got a little boring for me with the automatic. Even using the paddle shifters didn't add that much more engagement for me. This is just me and one man's opinion and nothing wrong with an automatic because I have a few in my garage. The Supra is a beast no matter what but just not for me or others in it's current configuration. Driving my buddy's old Mazda Speed 3 with manual re-opened my eyes on just how fun manual cars can be, even with significantly less power like that car. Some people like me just prefer to have a little manual shifting in their life. Either way, if it happens, Toyota/BMW will potentially draw additional buyers who crave a manual shifting transmission. It would be a win-win for everyone! :)

SupraBAD

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’ll be curious long term in the future if the manuals will hold value more so than the zf like the mkiv has.
I think that's highly likely. I still think they will sell more automatics, if they drop a manual. Just for reference, when I got rid of my Supra for my M2 Comp, it was near impossible to find the latter in a 6 speed but I ended up getting real lucky. BMW sells more DCT autos even in that car. I see used M2 with manuals going for more than the DCTs if you can even find one.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Driving my buddy's old Mazda Speed 3 with manual re-opened my eyes on just how fun manual cars can be, even with significantly less power like that car.
:thumbsup: I've owned one for years and absolutely loved the chassis and the gearbox. That thing can take a beating ! Slapped a shortshifter as well. Pedals were great for heel-toe. Very engaging car!
When I got the GT86, I was honestly disappointed with the manual, perhaps I had a dud, yet I can't deny how fun both were. Supra and ZF is a different kindda fun and for sure a lot smoother and easy going... If they come up with a sucky transmission, it'll be over before it even starts. I hope it can take a beating and not a jerky one..

SupraBAD

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Has anyone here driven a newer BMW manual?....they shift like $hit. No soul, rev matching up and down, snappy clutch.... I'll stick to my auto. (Never thought I'd say that after owning more than a dozen manual vehicles.)
Yes I own one and I respectfully disagree after owning both. I feel way more engaged in the BMW manual. Is the shifter a little soft, yeah but so are most modern manuals out there and ones I have owned. I had a newer WRX STI previously and the shifter was almost the same. It's all about car manufacturers wanting to keep NVH levels according to their standards and using soft materials that reduce noise and feedback. Nothing aftermarket bushings and/or shifters can't fix if you want more feedback and want your car to sort of mechanically click into gear, so there's that. In my M2, you can disable rev matching if that's what you prefer but don't know about other BMW's.

SupraBAD

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
:thumbsup: I've owned one for years and absolutely loved the chassis and the gearbox. That thing can take a beating ! Slapped a shortshifter as well. Pedals were great for heel-toe. Very engaging car!
When I got the GT86, I was honestly disappointed with the manual, perhaps I had a dud, yet I can't deny how fun both were. Supra and ZF is a different kindda fun and for sure a lot smoother and easy going... If they come up with a sucky transmission, it'll be over before it even starts. I hope it can take a beating and not a jerky one..
No yeah I agree that for being an automatic, it's as good as it can get. It's a great auto for sure but like you said it's different between both and I just prefer to row throw gears in a sports car personally. Point being, there are others like me that would want the Supra in a manual and yet others that will want an automatic. Nothing wrong with making everyone happy and that's where I think Toyota missed the mark but hopefully they do redeem themselves if the rumors are true.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
I kind of disagree with that a little. I would consider it again with a manual but back when I got rid of mine, there was no real hard evidence Toyota would make it happen so I went with another BMW instead that did have a manual, lol. People I know loved the car but the deal breaker for them was the no manual option. Honestly, after the initial excitement of owning one wore off, it got a little boring for me with the automatic. Even using the paddle shifters didn't add that much more engagement for me. This is just me and one man's opinion and nothing wrong with an automatic because I have a few in my garage. The Supra is a beast no matter what but just not for me or others in it's current configuration. Driving my buddy's old Mazda Speed 3 with manual re-opened my eyes on just how fun manual cars can be, even with significantly less power like that car. Some people like me just prefer to have a little manual shifting in their life. Either way, if it happens, Toyota/BMW will potentially draw additional buyers who crave a manual shifting transmission. It would be a win-win for everyone! :)
The big question will be CAN Toyota actually deliver enough manuals to make a difference in sales/perception in the market, with the chip shortage and supply chain issues still plaguing the manufacturers…..that’s the question. I do applaud Toyota for this though, all signs point to them rolling this out this year.

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Status
Not open for further replies.