šŸ‘£ Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I wouldnā€™t get that extreme to be honest. However, Toyota isnā€™t stupidā€¦.and they know that to put a non-performance oriented manual in a performance oriented chassis wonā€™t bode well. BMWā€™s M cars have always had stout yet smooth manuals. In the MKV/Z4ā€™s case, they did take different paths for chassis engineering, and Toyota is committed to reliability and performance for the Supra. I believe (again based on previous info) that the MKV will get a more ā€œdesirableā€ manual setup than the Z4. Iā€™ve been wrong before ;-).
I would think toyota would use an already existing trans that has had good results and then just have to custom make a bellhousing to make it fit. Obviously mounts, drive shaft, shifter assembly and more but thats all easy stuff. Would be a lot cheaper and easier than starting from scratch.
Sponsored

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
It's nice to see Toyota finally bring a manual to the Supra, I was getting excited again. But fact is I don't trust Toyota with this car. They've screwed up repeatedly with it. BMW manuals have been less than stellar. Second who knows how they'll package this, maybe some stripper model at first to try and compete with the Z.

ZF8 is a great trans. But it never fit the Supra as an enthusiast car. Don't care if it's faster. In a day and age where we are losing enthusiast cars soon enough to boring silent soulless automatic appliances aka BEVs, I'd want to embrace a manual for the last true driving experience while it's still around, and my stenosis allows it.

It's amazing how the car mecha of the world, Europe, has shifted away from manuals, their exhausts strangled by..., and most of their premier makers saying ICE is done (outside of BMW nicely enough). Golf R gets a manual in the US, but auto only in EU, due to manual uptake in the US. You know, where smug euros claim Americans don't know how to drive stick at one time?

If I was to buy the ZF8 I would buy a M240i, and get more car for the same/less money.

Toyotas list on this the Supra though, to me, has one fault removed at least restricting me from buying it. But it's still lacking a proper wing, no android auto is ridiculous in 2022, sightlines are horrendous and you have to pay for Blindspot, boring paint colors outside of yellow and a nice blue that was stupidly limited. Then the biggest WTF issue showing Toyota doesn't care enough about this car is the buffeting issue where they're just fine letting the customer fix the problem sort of with a $12 piece of rubber or a $150 pieces of plastic. Seriously WTF? Especially for something that is overpriced.

All those issues is what made me not pull the trigger on the new Supra I was amped up for. I was bummed then the new Z came along and I'm very optimistic for it. How does a struggling Nissan out do rich AF Toyota? Probably because they listened to and know their heritage and followers better.

Hopefully the manual is great for those looking now. Hopefully Toyota fixes those other issues. But still to me the most interesting cars Toyota makes are the GR Yaris and hopefully GR Corolla. Crazy that those are the cars that Toyota actually put effort into.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I wouldnā€™t get that extreme to be honest. However, Toyota isnā€™t stupidā€¦.and they know that to put a non-performance oriented manual in a performance oriented chassis wonā€™t bode well. BMWā€™s M cars have always had stout yet smooth manuals. In the MKV/Z4ā€™s case, they did take different paths for chassis engineering, and Toyota is committed to reliability and performance for the Supra. I believe (again based on previous info) that the MKV will get a more ā€œdesirableā€ manual setup than the Z4. Iā€™ve been wrong before ;-).
So will the MKV manual do more Doritos than the Z4 manual?

Bassoonytoon

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nitro Yellow / 2017 86 Special Editio
It's nice to see Toyota finally bring a manual to the Supra, I was getting excited again. But fact is I don't trust Toyota with this car. They've screwed up repeatedly with it. BMW manuals have been less than stellar. Second who knows how they'll package this, maybe some stripper model at first to try and compete with the Z.

ZF8 is a great trans. But it never fit the Supra as an enthusiast car. Don't care if it's faster. In a day and age where we are losing enthusiast cars soon enough to boring silent soulless automatic appliances aka BEVs, I'd want to embrace a manual for the last true driving experience while it's still around, and my stenosis allows it.

It's amazing how the car mecha of the world, Europe, has shifted away from manuals, their exhausts strangled by..., and most of their premier makers saying ICE is done (outside of BMW nicely enough). Golf R gets a manual in the US, but auto only in EU, due to manual uptake in the US. You know, where smug euros claim Americans don't know how to drive stick at one time?

If I was to buy the ZF8 I would buy a M240i, and get more car for the same/less money.

Toyotas list on this the Supra though, to me, has one fault removed at least restricting me from buying it. But it's still lacking a proper wing, no android auto is ridiculous in 2022, sightlines are horrendous and you have to pay for Blindspot, boring paint colors outside of yellow and a nice blue that was stupidly limited. Then the biggest WTF issue showing Toyota doesn't care enough about this car is the buffeting issue where they're just fine letting the customer fix the problem sort of with a $12 piece of rubber or a $150 pieces of plastic. Seriously WTF? Especially for something that is overpriced.

All those issues is what made me not pull the trigger on the new Supra I was amped up for. I was bummed then the new Z came along and I'm very optimistic for it. How does a struggling Nissan out do rich AF Toyota? Probably because they listened to and know their heritage and followers better.

Hopefully the manual is great for those looking now. Hopefully Toyota fixes those other issues. But still to me the most interesting cars Toyota makes are the GR Yaris and hopefully GR Corolla. Crazy that those are the cars that Toyota actually put effort into.
Iā€™m curious how long you have spent driving the Supra? Maybe your experience was on a car that was poorly setup? Also, if Car and Driver can identify the Supra as ā€œa great performance valueā€ Iā€™ll take that as a valid point against your assertion that the Supra is overpriced.

Alsoā€¦ a wing? This is a drawback and a failure? Less weight and drag is good in my books.

I would not say that Toyota has repeatedly screwed it up. To get bent out of shape over a minor wind buffering issue seems excessive. To say itā€™s not an enthusiastā€™s car because it doesnā€™t have a manual is something that doesnā€™t apply in this decade.

Iā€™m sorry to say that despite your opinions to the contrary, the Supra is a fantastic car.

Welcome to the forum.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra

It's just funny how far off you are. All those (wrong) opinions and you don't even have a Supra. The M2 can barely keep up with a Supra, so how is an M240i "the same or more" value for money lol. And Nissan out doing Toyota?? Nissan made excuses from day 1 that it's not about performance or lap times lol. Imagine that, a sports car that isn't about performance. And have you sat in a Nissan recently?? Step from a BMW into a 40k Nissan and see how similar that experience is :rofl:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I think he just lost his pacifier.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
lol. screwed up repeatedly? how?
stripper model at first? dude there are no seconds. if they're releasing, it's gotta be it and they'd know it.
Europe and whole world shifted away from manuals. You know why? A/T's and control mechanisms got so much better over the years and now A/T's can outperform M/T's in many ways.
1) shifting speed 2) fuel economy 3) maintenance 4) comfort 5) convenience.....
lol at the wing/buffeting.
looks, each to his own.
True about colors, AA, poor visibility... Color is easily solved by wrap, etc. AA, iDrive6 and BMW restriction or something for sure..
Overpriced? certainly not. it's best bang for your money at $50-55K for a brand new car.
BMW partnership good or bad made this vehicle possible. Partnerships come with their own burdens for sure and Toyota did their best in the circumstances.. I believe Z4 wasn't even going to happen if not for Toyota. Who knows what R&D and other stuff had to be exchanged for this whole thing to happen and how many people had to be convinced. We know from FT-1 design, interviews and whatnot that packaging was not in favor of what Tada-san had dreamed of..
Anyhow. it's clear that you've never driven one and only took away the cons from whatever videos you've watched. Quite honestly these points are 3 years too old to be still yapping about.
Nissan is using the same engine/trans they already developed. They screwed something up along the way since financially they're suffering.
It's clear that Toyota does not want to budget for a new sporty low volume engine thus making these partnerships to bring on enthusiast vehicles, like 86, Supra, and who knows the Celica, MR2... but we know the targets for those vehicles. 86 they wanted a super low CoG. for Supra they wanted to carry on the I6, which they no longer had.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
It's just funny how far off you are. All those (wrong) opinions and you don't even have a Supra. The M2 can barely keep up with a Supra, so how is an M240i "the same or more" value for money lol. And Nissan out doing Toyota?? Nissan made excuses from day 1 that it's not about performance or lap times lol. Imagine that, a sports car that isn't about performance. And have you sat in a Nissan recently?? Step from a BMW into a 40k Nissan and see how similar that experience is :rofl:
Itā€™s not going to be 40k either

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra

Pay for blind spot??? What are you talking about. Not Toyotas fault they are stuck with idrive 6 and not idrive 7 which is android auto compatible. Seriously buffetting is such a non issue with the car.

What did nissan do better? Nothing really use an old engine and old chassis and rewrapped it.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
Pay for blind spot??? What are you talking about. Not Toyotas fault they are stuck with idrive 6 and not idrive 7 which is android auto compatible. Seriously buffetting is such a non issue with the car.

What did nissan do better? Nothing really use an old engine and old chassis and rewrapped it.
He's probably correctly mentioning blindspot monitoring not being standard. It's part of the optional Driver Assist Package on the 3.0 Premium (or Safety & Technology Package on the 2.0 and 3.0 non-premium).

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
He's probably correctly mentioning blindspot monitoring not being standard. It's part of the optional Driver Assist Package on the 3.0 Premium (or Safety & Technology Package on the 2.0 and 3.0 non-premium).
Oh! Makes sense sorry. All the ones released in canada are fully loaded.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Oh! Makes sense sorry. All the ones released in canada are fully loaded.
No worries. All the variations by market can be sort of funny. Honestly, it's a mystery to me why it isn't standard here the States as well. You could hide an aircraft carrier in the blindspot of these cars, so BSM isn't just a luxury it's a necessity. I wouldn't drive this thing without it.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
That depends, I have a 2020 base model and itā€™s still called the drivers assistance package on my window sticker and mine is a base model. I just happen to have that package as well as the navigation and jbl package

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That depends, I have a 2020 base model and itā€™s still called the drivers assistance package on my window sticker and mine is a base model. I just happen to have that package as well as the navigation and jbl package
Sorry, I might have confused the names/trims. My car had all the gizmos and gadgets, so I had a quick look at the Toyota site.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
Iā€™m curious how long you have spent driving the Supra? Maybe your experience was on a car that was poorly setup? Also, if Car and Driver can identify the Supra as ā€œa great performance valueā€ Iā€™ll take that as a valid point against your assertion that the Supra is overpriced.

Alsoā€¦ a wing? This is a drawback and a failure? Less weight and drag is good in my books.

I would not say that Toyota has repeatedly screwed it up. To get bent out of shape over a minor wind buffering issue seems excessive. To say itā€™s not an enthusiastā€™s car because it doesnā€™t have a manual is something that doesnā€™t apply in this decade.

Iā€™m sorry to say that despite your opinions to the contrary, the Supra is a fantastic car.

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the welcome.

I spent enough time with the car, I was a salesman during that in-between period of time. Dark times for me, but now I'm in a much better job place haha. Rode great, predictable weight loading in corners but the rear stability became questionable at higher speeds. It became unsettled at odd times. And I want to hear that German I6 scream with a nice AWE or ETS exhaust, or just cruising speed rumble, but that wind buffeting is seriously ridiculous... How Toyota didn't catch it, then admitted it's there, to not give a crap to fix it is beyond me. Something so simple and cheap to fix apparently.

The wing comment may seem weird, but let me try to convey it better. When I was in school during the 90s, I loved and wanted the MKIV, it was all about that I6, 6-spd, wing, tails, and targa to me along with that simple rounded flowing Japanese styling. So to me the MKV is missing some of those things which I valued then.

I'm sorry but the automatic while faster does dilute the enthusiast experience, to me. There is just a connected experience with a manual, and i might be old school here, but this is key to me, and those times will soon be gone with all these silly soulless appliances being forced down our throats where all you hear is tire and wind noise.

To the others, I've been in both and I feel you get more value from the M240i, it still fast thanks to the B58 and of course the ZF8 (once again would rather a manual though), plus it has AWD so it's more 365. I can sit the way I want with a helmet on for a track comfortably, and I can see out of it. It has more equipment, and superior infotainment and gauges. And it's still rear happy. But it is a bit on the porky side. And you can get it in Purple... I mean, come on, purple.

I don't believe the shared cost of development thing with how rich Toyota and when they design an ultra-low volume GR Yaris and G16E-GTS engine along with a trick AWD. The GR Corolla will be the purest Toyota experience we'll get in the US I think.

I of course love following the Supra because I am still a Toyota fanboy after how incredible their 90's were. It is still a great car, I appreciate it's around, but I'm disappointed with how they handled a few things. I want them to give me a reason to buy it. The manual is a great start. But man... If there isn't some fatal flaw to that new Z, I never thought I'd see the day I'd pick a non-GTR Nissan over a Toyota. And yes, as of last Nissan said, the sport will start around $40k. If their screw up the Performance trim pricing and it encroaches to that M240i mid-equipped pricing, even it would be hard to justify for a Nissan interior.

But at least the Supra is more true to it's roots than that abomination that is the new Integra.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.