👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Thank you for the welcome.

I spent enough time with the car, I was a salesman during that in-between period of time. Dark times for me, but now I'm in a much better job place haha. Rode great, predictable weight loading in corners but the rear stability became questionable at higher speeds. It became unsettled at odd times. And I want to hear that German I6 scream with a nice AWE or ETS exhaust, or just cruising speed rumble, but that wind buffeting is seriously ridiculous... How Toyota didn't catch it, then admitted it's there, to not give a crap to fix it is beyond me. Something so simple and cheap to fix apparently.

The wing comment may seem weird, but let me try to convey it better. When I was in school during the 90s, I loved and wanted the MKIV, it was all about that I6, 6-spd, wing, tails, and targa to me along with that simple rounded flowing Japanese styling. So to me the MKV is missing some of those things which I valued then.

I'm sorry but the automatic while faster does dilute the enthusiast experience, to me. There is just a connected experience with a manual, and i might be old school here, but this is key to me, and those times will soon be gone with all these silly soulless appliances being forced down our throats where all you hear is tire and wind noise.

To the others, I've been in both and I feel you get more value from the M240i, it still fast thanks to the B58 and of course the ZF8 (once again would rather a manual though), plus it has AWD so it's more 365. I can sit the way I want with a helmet on for a track comfortably, and I can see out of it. It has more equipment, and superior infotainment and gauges. And it's still rear happy. But it is a bit on the porky side. And you can get it in Purple... I mean, come on, purple.

I don't believe the shared cost of development thing with how rich Toyota and when they design an ultra-low volume GR Yaris and G16E-GTS engine along with a trick AWD. The GR Corolla will be the purest Toyota experience we'll get in the US I think.

I of course love following the Supra because I am still a Toyota fanboy after how incredible their 90's were. It is still a great car, I appreciate it's around, but I'm disappointed with how they handled a few things. I want them to give me a reason to buy it. The manual is a great start. But man... If there isn't some fatal flaw to that new Z, I never thought I'd see the day I'd pick a non-GTR Nissan over a Toyota. And yes, as of last Nissan said, the sport will start around $40k. If their screw up the Performance trim pricing and it encroaches to that M240i mid-equipped pricing, even it would be hard to justify for a Nissan interior.

But at least the Supra is more true to it's roots than that abomination that is the new Integra.
My man, sounds like you just hating based off some youtube videos with such titles as: "5 things I hate about my Supra".

Just be excited. No car brand is flawless, and even two of the same car can be very different.

You hate auto, which is fine, but I feel like you haven't rode in this car by the complaints all seeming like the generic BMW parts.

Now, I will say it is rough dealing with some stuff repair/maintenance wise cause of the partnership at times. But that still doesn't affect my enjoyment of the car.

Lastly, look at people's builds on here with the car. I'd say be looking at these amazing works that this platform didn't bother their enthusiasm one bit. :p
Sponsored

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I can ask since I'm also on Bimmerpost.
Any updates?

They weren't just popular, it's all there was. Only in recent years the switch to auto/DCT happened in European cars when they started to outperform the manual. When I grew up and started driving, seeing an automatic in a car in Europe was as rare as seeing a McLaren F1 on the road lol. We all took our driving tests in manuals. Auto's were generally only bought by handicapped people. But when Ferrari introduced the F1 transmission in the 355, that slowly started to change.
Thanks for the 411.

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
idk how much Toyota could shave off price wise but a stripped out 3.0 base model may make more sense with the upcoming release of the Z.
A hypothetical model would probably come in around the top end of the 2.0, $47k?

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Strange, they're usually the first ones to update us on the changes and updates to the Z4 and Supra lol.
maybe because this isn't your typical BMW product in the sense that its a joint project so maybe the BMW guys dont have access to everything?

Michael-Dallas

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 4Runner
I'm sorry but the automatic while faster does dilute the enthusiast experience, to me. There is just a connected experience with a manual, and i might be old school here, but this is key to me, and those times will soon be gone with all these silly soulless appliances being forced down our throats where all you hear is tire and wind noise.
I feel the same way. Mashing the go-fast pedal is fun. Manually rowing gears adds to the driving pleasure.

To the others, I've been in both and I feel you get more value from the M240i, it still fast thanks to the B58 and of course the ZF8 (once again would rather a manual though), plus it has AWD so it's more 365. I can sit the way I want with a helmet on for a track comfortably, and I can see out of it. It has more equipment, and superior infotainment and gauges. And it's still rear happy. But it is a bit on the porky side. And you can get it in Purple... I mean, come on, purple.
Of interesting note, Jason Cammisa feels that the M2 CS is the real successor to the MKIV - power, usable backseat, and manual transmission. Unfortunately, that's 2x the price of a MKV.

I don't believe the shared cost of development thing with how rich Toyota and when they design an ultra-low volume GR Yaris and G16E-GTS engine along with a trick AWD. The GR Corolla will be the purest Toyota experience we'll get in the US I think.
IMO, Yaris and Corolla are existing platforms, and it wouldn't take as much money, effort, and resource to polish those platforms into a sportier driving experience, over an entirely new platform. Yaris hatchback is also a Mazda 2, BTW.

Also- Toyota had a huge payout from the lawsuit on unintended acceleration. It made a huge impact, so much so that my neighbor (Toyota Financial Services employee) tells me that there's an entire museum at Toyota NA HQ about it. Toyota wants all of their employees to be reminded every day about the importance and impact of their work.

I of course love following the Supra because I am still a Toyota fanboy after how incredible their 90's were. It is still a great car, I appreciate it's around, but I'm disappointed with how they handled a few things. I want them to give me a reason to buy it. The manual is a great start. But man... If there isn't some fatal flaw to that new Z, I never thought I'd see the day I'd pick a non-GTR Nissan over a Toyota. And yes, as of last Nissan said, the sport will start around $40k. If their screw up the Performance trim pricing and it encroaches to that M240i mid-equipped pricing, even it would be hard to justify for a Nissan interior.
The 90's was a great time for Japanese sports cars. I owned 3 300ZX's (all M/T) during that decade. When the 350z came out, I bought one (M/T). The 350z was a fun car to drive, but there was a huge difference in overall quality after the 300ZX, and, IMO, Nissan has never been the same since.

I ended up trading the 350z for an E46 M3 (M/T) and fell in-love w/ BMW handling and interiors, so much so that I bought an E36 M3 project car for the track. So for me, a BMW that's backed by Toyota is a no-brainer. I cashed out of my 996 Turbo X50 a few months ago, and I'm just waiting to see if the M/T Supra is coming before I buy one.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'09 335i, '23 Kona N
Last edited:

rotary heart

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 Edition, 2004 IS 300
Correct. I believe Guff mentioned a while a go you could even purchase the bigger rotors, bolt them on, and done.

I'd have to confirm that however.
Well, hope that this is true, since I cannot find any smaller rotor anywhere (beside OEM).

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
Of interesting note, Jason Cammisa feels that the M2 CS is the real successor to the MKIV - power, usable backseat, and manual transmission. Unfortunately, that's 2x the price of a MKV.
The MKIV had usable backseats? I guess you can say all cars had usable backseats, just depends on your definition of usable is.
The RX7 had usable backseats for putting small potted plants, small dogs, a couple of bags of groceries, pile of clothes/trash or my favorite, a cooler with some nice cold beverages (cooler had to be those tiny ones of course). ;)

rotary heart

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 Edition, 2004 IS 300
The MKIV had usable backseats? I guess you can say all cars had usable backseats, just depends on your definition of usable is.
The RX7 had usable backseats for putting small potted plants, small dogs, a couple of bags of groceries, pile of clothes/trash or my favorite, a cooler with some nice cold beverages (cooler had to be those tiny ones of course). ;)
Damn, I remember giving someone a lift and they would have to somehow sit sideways so they could fit. Good times, I miss my rx7

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I'm guessing that you really just want to know about the Z4 M40i, but there's been a 6MT G29 for a couple years now overseas in the 20i.

Edit: you know this already ?
I'm just curious on what the BMW Gods have to say on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.