👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
https://www.caradvice.com.au/686649/toyota-supra-manual-transmission/

Get excited, purists – a three-pedal Supra is a real possibility for our market. Fingers, toes crossed...

Despite most manufacturers moving away from manual sports cars, Toyota is likely to launch a three-pedal version of the Supra to satisfy purists.

Speaking to journalists at the global first drive of the 2019 Toyota Supra, assistant chief engineer, Masayuki Kai, told media a manual transmission has been developed – and it's being prepared right-hand drive markets. It's worth bearing in mind, the BMW Z4 with which the Supra shares a platform is auto-only.

"This is not yet finally decided [introduction of a manual transmission], and depending on feedback from the market, we will decide if we should introduce a manual transmission," Kai said.

"We have developed it, yes, there is hardware ready. Right-hand drive? Yes, of course. It needs to be sold in Japan, which is a right-hand drive market," he went on, getting manual enthusiasts in Australia all flustered and excited in the process.

While sales of manual cars have ultimately declined over time – with some supercar brands like Ferrari and Lamborghini no longer offering any manual models – the purists buying cars like the Toyota 86and Mazda MX-5 are still opting for the 'hands-on' driving experience offered by three pedals and a stick.

Given BMW's nous with the manual gearbox and six-cylinder engines, it's sure to be a cracker too. It's also a great way for Toyota to lower the entry-level price of Supra, giving buyers the option of how they swap cogs.
Sponsored

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
What's the difference between a right hand drive and a left hand drive manual transmission? They just need a mirrored interior and a revised bell housing for the fork. Literally everything else could remain the same except for a few bolts and brackets :dunno:

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
What's the difference between a right hand drive and a left hand drive manual transmission? They just need a mirrored interior and a revised bell housing for the fork. Literally everything else could remain the same except for a few bolts and brackets :dunno:
probably the clutch position

86rebel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW
We have developed it, yes, there is hardware ready. Right-hand drive? Yes, of course. It needs to be sold in Japan, which is a right-hand drive market,"
To me, that doesn't say it will only be rhd... They asked about rhd since they are Australian, but it doesn't seem to be rhd only by the phrasing

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Meh.. no one cares about the RHD market.. booooo

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
My take on reading that is, manual has been made, for the LHD, but he was saying its important to make the RHD manual as well, since it needs to be sold in Japan as well. It would be ignorant to offer on RHD in manual, when a majority of their market is LHD. That's my take on it.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
just another reason for me to purchase one in Japan

Masayuki-san also loves not giving straight forward answers, so this might just be him avoiding conflict. granted that is a fairly normal thing for the Japanese ...

Last edited:

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
I wanna say "Haaaaaaaaa!!!", but then I wonder if all RHD markets will get a hi-po version....

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
The transmission, bellhousing, etc. are almost always unaffected by driver position. The differences will be the pedals, master cylinder, lines to the transmission, and the interior panels. Sometimes the shifter is different as well (angle).

But none of that actually matters, the decision will come down to what they want to sell in each country, it's not an engineering or design concern.

Jeff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the mention of the RHD market is more implying its availability on the 4-cyl model, as the 4cyl is yet to be confirmed for North America (aka the big LHD market). That's just a guess though.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...19-toyota-supra-manual-transmission-possible/

What Needs to Happen for Toyota to Make a Stick-Shift Supra
A manual transmission is possible for the new Supra—as is a cheaper four-cylinder engine and a lightweight trackday version.

The 2019 Toyota Supra promises to be a rewarding high-performance sports car. We just drove a preproduction prototype on the road and the track, and we came away very impressed. But the examples we drove were all equipped with an eight-speed automatic, the only transmission option that will be available when the new Supra hits dealerships. So we had to ask: What needs to happen for Toyota to add a manual transmission?

At the Supra launch event in Madrid, Spain, I caught up with Masayuki Kai, Assistant Chief Engineer on the Supra project. The first question I asked him was about the possibility of a stick-shift Supra.

"It purely depends on the reaction of the market," Kai told me. "If, for example, US customers are demanding strongly that Supra needs to be a manual-transmission car, then we will plan it. Technically, it's quite possible, of course. The problem is, do we invest money into it to make it happen? Because there are other options we could put the same money into. It just depends on the market feedback."

I asked Kai what kind of expense would be involved in making a manual-transmission Supra. "The most expensive, of course, would be to make it mass-production," he said. "That would cost quite a lot of money. But if we limit the volume, let's say a few hundred cars, then we can have less spent in tooling.

"It could be that we introduce it as a special edition, with a special color or special wheels or something. We can combine these into a package and sell it as a limited edition."

I asked Kai if such a limited edition might take the shape of a lightweight Supra model, something that's been hinted at before. "We have to introduce something new quite frequently, otherwise a car can lose interest," he replied. "There are many options here, really. Anything you might think of, we're already thinking about it."

The new Supra that will hit dealers sometime soon will be powered by a 3.0-liter single-turbo straight-six engine. But it seems like a cheaper four-cylinder model will follow—Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada even says the four-cylinder is the one you should buy if you're planning a 2JZ swap.

The BMW Z4, which shares its six-cylinder engine and platform with the Supra, will soon offer a 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder variant. I asked Kai if this engine might be the one to power a future four-banger Supra. "I assume so," he replied.

But all this talk had us wondering about things heading in the other direction: More horsepower. The six-cylinder Z4 makes 382 horsepower and 369 lb-ft. Toyota hasn't provided exact power figures for the Supra, but assures us that horsepower and torque will both exceed 300. Apparently there's even more headroom: A Toyota insider told me that the Supra platform is good for up to 500 horsepower, though some chassis upgrades, particularly to the brakes, would need to come along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.