Trading M2 for Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2c
I’m new to the forum and currently driving a manual M2 competition.

I started a similar thread over on the bmw forum with my thoughts of trading for a new supra. Since then and having done some more research I’ve come across the oil consumption issue and the locked DME which has got me second guessing.

Have any of you guys come from an M2 and should I just wait out until 2022 to see if the oil consumption issue is solved?

p.s I had a 240i with the b58 for 3 years and did numerous track days without losing a drop of oil.
Sponsored

Graybush

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
If you prefer to row gears, stay where you are. If you like the unique aesthetics and attention that comes with the supra, go for it. The ZF8 is rock solid trans. I haven't lost a drop of oil to my knowledge, but I also haven't accrued many miles yet. I bought the supra bc I think its the best looking car under 100K, and its performance is more than enough for my use case.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Thought hard about M2 when shopping last year. long time and current bmw owner still

passed a couple M2's w ease last track day with some easy suspension upgrades and I am way far away from say Jackie Ding level skill.

GOPR0m2.jpg

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
The oil consumption issue is overblown, I think. The small fraction of people experiencing the issue are making a huge amount of noise about it. It's something Toyota needs to look at but not something systemic.

On the other hand, I feel pretty confident that the locked DME is definitely turning people away from A90 and hurting sales.

IS2000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Porsche Cayman, 2003 Mitsubishi EVO8, 2020 GR Supra
I went from a 2018 M2 lci to my 2020 Supra mainly from a styling point. The performance for both cars are very similar in stock form. The M2 felt more raw and mechanical, while the Supra is a softer more comfortable cruiser. However I test drove both cars on race tracks and felt the Supra was more agile with a livelier rear-end. I also preferred Supra’s steering feel over the M2’s. You can’t go wrong with any of these two, but I like to enjoy a sports car sitting low and right over the rear wheels.

Last edited:

muckduck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 95 Supra TT, 2008 T4R
I posted in your other thread. For me it came down to a few things when I cross shopped the M2c and the Supra

1) This is my weekend car. As such I wanted as focused of a drivers experience as I could. Supra with it seating much lower, having a cockpit feel was more fun. If you need a back seat/this is your only car, M2 is probably your better route.

2) The 6 speed on the M2c just doesn't do it for me. I am mostly a manual purist to speak as this is my first auto sports car in forever (last one was an auto TT supra like 15 years ago lol). The 1-2 on the M2c just wasn't fun. The clutch, rubbery shifter, auto rev match, honestly manuals of these cars are kind of automatic =) I think new turbo cars are better suited for auto/DCTs. That being said, I am going to get an S2000/e46 M3/Miata to scratch my purist itch. Just a matter of time. If they ever come out with a 6 speed supra, I'll try it.

3) Supra looks cooler. It is one of the only cars that I kept staring at whenever I saw one. Really love it.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/2021-a91-supra-vs-2020-m2-competition-2-week-update.6977/

I made a comparison between the two as i had come from a M2C with MT.

Personally i think the Supra is the better car. Its more comfy, gets better gas mileage, it sits lower, more compliant over bumps in normal mode and overall is just more fun.

Someone commented on looks too and for me thats a big part. I've always wanted an M car so the M2C was a good choice, but at the end of the day to everyone it just looks like any other 2-door BMW. It was fun having an M car but something about it (prob the transmission) actually made me start to dislike it after a few months.

The Supra is stunning. I cant stop staring at it when i see it in my garage. I also get more comments on this car than any other car i've ever owned. I think thats a cool part.

But if you want a more in depth comparison i would check out the thread i made in the link above. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Also the oil thing so far has been a small percentage of 2021 owners. Remember you'll see the problem everywhere if you look for it. ALso people tend to not "complain" about things they enjoy. Currently the oil issue seems to be more prevalent in the A91, if that counts for anything. As far as waiting, remember the M2C stops production this year. If you wait till the end of the year you might get a better trade/sale value out of it.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
The Supra is stunning. I can’t stop staring at it when i see it in my garage. I also get more comments on this car than any other car I’ve ever owned. I think that’s a cool part.
~ Ditto... a work of art in many ways.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2c
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/2021-a91-supra-vs-2020-m2-competition-2-week-update.6977/

I made a comparison between the two as i had come from a M2C with MT.

Personally i think the Supra is the better car. Its more comfy, gets better gas mileage, it sits lower, more compliant over bumps in normal mode and overall is just more fun.

Someone commented on looks too and for me thats a big part. I've always wanted an M car so the M2C was a good choice, but at the end of the day to everyone it just looks like any other 2-door BMW. It was fun having an M car but something about it (prob the transmission) actually made me start to dislike it after a few months.

The Supra is stunning. I cant stop staring at it when i see it in my garage. I also get more comments on this car than any other car i've ever owned. I think thats a cool part.

But if you want a more in depth comparison i would check out the thread i made in the link above. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Also the oil thing so far has been a small percentage of 2021 owners. Remember you'll see the problem everywhere if you look for it. ALso people tend to not "complain" about things they enjoy. Currently the oil issue seems to be more prevalent in the A91, if that counts for anything. As far as waiting, remember the M2C stops production this year. If you wait till the end of the year you might get a better trade/sale value out of it.
Thanks for the reply, I’ve had a look through your thread btw. How do you find the seating position? My M2 feels kinda high and I’ve seen one review saying something similar about the supra. I’m 6ft2 and mostly torso so getting low in the cabin is something I’m looking for, especially so there’s room to wear a helmet. I have a test drive next week but it’s nice to have an idea of what to expect.

Also, is the rear differential limited slip or open? I’ve read info on the diff stating open but electronically controlled. How does it feel? My old m240i was a nightmare with its open diff.

Sybra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RX7 Before, Supra UK pro spec.
A big factor is value, so for the American folk here the comparison between supra and m2 is different to us as they get the supra much cheaper - relatively speaking.

what you read about consumption happens in 2021 models which in UK we don't have, we only have the original engine.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the reply, I’ve had a look through your thread btw. How do you find the seating position? My M2 feels kinda high and I’ve seen one review saying something similar about the supra. I’m 6ft2 and mostly torso so getting low in the cabin is something I’m looking for, especially so there’s room to wear a helmet. I have a test drive next week but it’s nice to have an idea of what to expect.

Also, is the rear differential limited slip or open? I’ve read info on the diff stating open but electronically controlled. How does it feel? My old m240i was a nightmare with its open diff.
i'm 6'3" and i had the same issue as you did in seating postion in the M2C. It sits high for sure. Supra is a lot lower and feels much better. I also have a long torso so this was also my concern. I was able to wear a helmet when i took it to Autocross and the track last month.

AS far as rear diff its an electronic limited slip diff. Which seems to be all the rage nowadays. The open diffs are going to the base model 2.0 Supras.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A big factor is value, so for the American folk here the comparison between supra and m2 is different to us as they get the supra much cheaper - relatively speaking.

what you read about consumption happens in 2021 models which in UK we don't have, we only have the original engine.
Thats a VERY good point.

Surprisingly enough i think you guys get the M2 cheaper than we do (relativly) largley due to the option to actually option out the car and remove things (power seats, smaller brakes, different interior packages). Average M2C price is 65k here in the US, but i've seen that car for 44k in the UK. Obviously as an american going there to buy is more expensive for us but someone in the UK buying a specific UK model will see a lower "price".

Sybra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also, the salesman will be clueless, both dealerships I spoke to knew nothing I was asking - tech's are also questionable so might as well take it to BMW for work.

Sybra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thats a VERY good point.

Surprisingly enough i think you guys get the M2 cheaper than we do (relativly) largley due to the option to actually option out the car and remove things (power seats, smaller brakes, different interior packages). Average M2C price is 65k here in the US, but i've seen that car for 44k in the UK. Obviously as an american going there to buy is more expensive for us but someone in the UK buying a specific UK model will see a lower "price".
new m2 cs is 72,000 gbp so 100,00 usd lol supra you can get for 52,000. used car market is very different here as well, in US it seems your cars keep their value more.
Sponsored