Trunk will not close completely anymore and has a gap

Dave_MK5

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Hey everyone I am new to these forums, I made an account to try and see if I could figure this issue out. I took my 2020 3.0 premium to get underglow installed. The guy attempted it but needed to order more strips gave me back the car and said trunk wasnt closing. I thought he just didnt close it hard enough, I finally inspected it and saw that the trunk wasnt closing all the way there is now a gap ill upload pictures to show. Im not sure if its a wire causing this because he did leave some wires for when I take it back. Maybe its the trunk emergency release because it feels really tight. I've looked everywhere and haven't found a similar issue I already tried adjusting the little knobs on each side of the trunk too and nothing. Any help would be appreciated Im taking it back soon but the guy said he has no clue what could be causing it. Im thinking about just taking the trunk apart and seeing if I can reassemble it after removing all the wires.

supra rear.jpg
Sponsored

Eugine01

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2.0
There are two plastic screw both side of the trunk, try to twist it clock wise.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Sounds like the installer might have dropped something into the latch mechanism. This usually damages it and the only way to fix is a dealership visit.

-RJM

Last edited:

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Hey everyone I am new to these forums, I made an account to try and see if I could figure this issue out. I took my 2020 3.0 premium to get underglow installed. The guy attempted it but needed to order more strips gave me back the car and said trunk wasnt closing. I thought he just didnt close it hard enough, I finally inspected it and saw that the trunk wasnt closing all the way there is now a gap ill upload pictures to show. Im not sure if its a wire causing this because he did leave some wires for when I take it back. Maybe its the trunk emergency release because it feels really tight. I've looked everywhere and haven't found a similar issue I already tried adjusting the little knobs on each side of the trunk too and nothing. Any help would be appreciated Im taking it back soon but the guy said he has no clue what could be causing it. Im thinking about just taking the trunk apart and seeing if I can reassemble it after removing all the wires.

supra rear.jpg
This kind of sounds like the shop may have damaged something and tried to send you away without you knowing/finding out and reporting it to them as their fault. Once you have left the shop, if it hasn't already been documented that the trunk closed properly before you took it to them, then they can now claim that it's something that must have happened after you left and they won't be responsible for any damage. Are you sure it was fine before you took it to them?

I've ran into a few shops in my past that have damaged my cars and tried to send me home without letting me know. One of which was a wheel and tire shop. I dropped off four new wheels and tires to have them mounted and balanced and told the shop I would pick them up later. They called me about an hour later telling me, "we're actually closing early today, we got about halfway done mounting the tires and for the inconvenience we won't be charging you anything. There's another shop down the road you can take them to that is opened all day." When I picked up the wheels and tires, they were already in the boxes and they had taped the boxes closed. Something didn't feel right so I opened the boxes. The tire beads had been ripped off of all four tires and the wheel faces were all super gouged.

Hopefully it's something that can be fixed without having to spend any money. Best of luck to you.

Blackbeard

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 supra
it looks like from the pic he closed the trunk on a something maybe his tools, maybe he was trying to tap into the power on ur lights, might want to check your lights to incase

OP
OP
Dave_MK5

Dave_MK5

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
This kind of sounds like the shop may have damaged something and tried to send you away without you knowing/finding out and reporting it to them as their fault. Once you have left the shop, if it hasn't already been documented that the trunk closed properly before you took it to them, then they can now claim that it's something that must have happened after you left and they won't be responsible for any damage. Are you sure it was fine before you took it to them?

I've ran into a few shops in my past that have damaged my cars and tried to send me home without letting me know. One of which was a wheel and tire shop. I dropped off four new wheels and tires to have them mounted and balanced and told the shop I would pick them up later. They called me about an hour later telling me, "we're actually closing early today, we got about halfway done mounting the tires and for the inconvenience we won't be charging you anything. There's another shop down the road you can take them to that is opened all day." When I picked up the wheels and tires, they were already in the boxes and they had taped the boxes closed. Something didn't feel right so I opened the boxes. The tire beads had been ripped off of all four tires and the wheel faces were all super gouged.

Hopefully it's something that can be fixed without having to spend any money. Best of luck to you.
I am sure that it was in perfect working condition before I dropped it off, Im planning to take it back soon because they said they'd repair it but from what others have told me the underglow install can cause issues if its not wired correctly. I might just see if they can repair it and take it to toyota worst case because I have my 2 year maintenance coming up in June. Hopefully Its something minor but I do want to document the process incase someone else has this issue in the future.

calebc

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra mkv
happened to me before where the emergency latch came loose I believe. They ended up ordering completely new parts and I had to drive a rental corolla for almost a week.

OP
OP
Dave_MK5

Dave_MK5

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
it looks like from the pic he closed the trunk on a something maybe his tools, maybe he was trying to tap into the power on ur lights, might want to check your lights to incase
Could be the person who installed it is the same person who did my drl's. they wired the drls through the front terminal connection but for the underglow he said it needed more power and he was trying to wire it through the battery in the trunk
happened to me before where the emergency latch came loose I believe. They ended up ordering completely new parts and I had to drive a rental corolla for almost a week.
did you have similar issues with the trunk not closing completely or that gap?

calebc

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra mkv
Could be the person who installed it is the same person who did my drl's. they wired the drls through the front terminal connection but for the underglow he said it needed more power and he was trying to wire it through the battery in the trunk

ahh, mine was stuck closed with the gap

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

Questionable. The front jump point is a.. well, jump point. It has the full power from the battery. Either way. Can we get some photos of the trunk area to see if we can help you fix this up?

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Maybe I missed it somewhere but does the trunk still open and close? Do you have an indicator saying it’s open when it’s physically closed (as in, the car thinks it’s not closed all the way)? IIRC, the emergency handle scenario prevented the trunk from being opened.

OP
OP
Dave_MK5

Dave_MK5

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Questionable. The front jump point is a.. well, jump point. It has the full power from the battery. Either way. Can we get some photos of the trunk area to see if we can help you fix this up?
I can upload some photos of the trunk and battery area in a bit

OP
OP
Dave_MK5

Dave_MK5

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
Maybe I missed it somewhere but does the trunk still open and close? Do you have an indicator saying it’s open when it’s physically closed (as in, the car thinks it’s not closed all the way)? IIRC, the emergency handle scenario prevented the trunk from being opened.
The trunk opens and closes but the sensor says that the trunk is not closed and the trunk now has a large gap that it did not have before

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The trunk opens and closes but the sensor says that the trunk is not closed and the trunk now has a large gap that it did not have before
Sounds like something might not have been put back together correctly and it’s not shutting all the way. I remember the rear plastic panel and seal being a pain in the ass to get back together when I had mine apart to do my dash cam battery.
Sponsored