Tuning - can you confirm what the OEM 'Engine Sport' mode actually does?

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
As subject- my gut feel is that it only:

- Opens exhaust flap
- Adds the crackle tune
- Changes throttle pedal linearity to give a sense of 'urgency' - normal mode feels linear between pedal opening and throttle opening.

Doesn't do anything other than that, right?

Thank you
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
As subject- my gut feel is that it only:

- Opens exhaust flap
- Adds the crackle tune
- Changes throttle pedal linearity to give a sense of 'urgency' - normal mode feels linear between pedal opening and throttle opening.

Doesn't do anything other than that, right?

Thank you
That is correct, and here are the differences in the throttle mapping:

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 5.57.48 PM.png

OP
OP

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
That is awesome. Thank you!! I wonder how it would feel with true-linearity... especially in the MT cars

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Great stuff!!!! So only sound and throttle input. In my case with an AWE track exhaust and catless dp (if that makes a difference), no sound difference.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Great stuff!!!! So only sound and throttle input. In my case with an AWE track exhaust and catless dp (if that makes a difference), no sound difference.
I think there might be some timing differences as well but those tables aren’t defined in bm3.

I’m basing that off what others have stated.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I think there might be some timing differences as well but those tables aren’t defined in bm3.

I’m basing that off what others have stated.
I'm am 69% sure there are timing differences. But I haven't proved it yet.

speaser

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91 MT SE, 2019 TRD 4runner
Interesting ...

There seems to be more to it though. I've been driving my 2020 for nearly 3 years now. The car seems way more aggressive in sport mode. I guess it could be psychological, triggered by the sound. However, the fuel consumption is significantly higher in sports mode.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Interesting ...

There seems to be more to it though. I've been driving my 2020 for nearly 3 years now. The car seems way more aggressive in sport mode. I guess it could be psychological, triggered by the sound. However, the fuel consumption is significantly higher in sports mode.
Fuel consumption could just be attributed to staying in lower gears/higher RPMs longer.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Interesting ...

Yea engine sport mode is the same other than throttle mapping and obviously the crackles. Keep in mind the throttle mapping is also tied to torque target but at WOT both modes are basically the same. You are probably feeling the overall difference with the other throttle angles. Basically sport mode creates a "throttle boost" so it feels snappier.

Technically you also get a more free flowing exhaust as it mainly no longer goes through the muffler but probably a very minimal difference with the stock turbo.

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
Is this why the brake feel sucks when creeping with the brakes outside of sport mode? I daily the car in sport mode and I can pull into a parking spot and creep by simply managing the brakes. When the car is in normal mode, the brakes seem stickier, the car comes to a complete stop often and it's harder to get it to break free again. The pedal mapping at low speeds seem the same for all maps?

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Is this why the brake feel sucks when creeping with the brakes outside of sport mode? I daily the car in sport mode and I can pull into a parking spot and creep by simply managing the brakes. When the car is in normal mode, the brakes seem stickier, the car comes to a complete stop often and it's harder to get it to break free again. The pedal mapping at low speeds seem the same for all maps?
I doubt it would apply to the brake pedal 🤷‍♂️

PhantomPurple

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazdaspeed Miata
The stock brake pads are very sticky feeling. I suspect it's mostly the sport mode engine and transmission that are pushing the car more at idle.

TMC1313

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Hey guys, I drive a 2022 gr that I've had since May. Maybe a stupid question, but I thought sport mode also tightens up suspension, does it not. Please enlighten me on this.
Sponsored