Turbo lag from Hybrid 4Runner i-Force Max engine?

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
I'm curious to know if the Hybrid part of the engine will kick in immediately upon acceleration, thus potentially eliminating turbo lag. I'm new to all this hybrid stuff, so I don't know exactly how it works. All I know is that the lag is atrocious with my 2018 F150 2.7L TT. I'm hoping the electric motor will take over while the turbos are spooling. If this is the case, then I'm absolutely going with the Hybrid!

Old Spice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3 currently
We'll have real world test-drive answers to the turbo lag question when the 2024 Tacoma hybrid first drive reviews are posted on April 23.

But it sounds like it from this video describing the i-Force Max Hybrid engine

OP
OP
Scott2373

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I watched that exact video before I posted the question. Honestly, I would like to interpret the part about the electric motor, "...supplementing the ICE at points when it may not be at it's peak output", as an answer to my question, but it's still quite vague. But, you're correct. When the test drive reviews are released, I guess we'll have a real answer.

OP
OP
Scott2373

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why did the title of my thread change and who changed it?

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Why did the title of my thread change and who changed it?
I would say the Administrator as I had one change as well. It did clean up my title as I wasn’t clear on my message, I was lazy and it was early morning hours as well.

JIMIPRO

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 4R V8, 24 4Runner TRD Pro, 67 Dodge R/T
I'm curious to know if the Hybrid part of the engine will kick in immediately upon acceleration, thus potentially eliminating turbo lag. I'm new to all this hybrid stuff, so I don't know exactly how it works. All I know is that the lag is atrocious with my 2018 F150 2.7L TT. I'm hoping the electric motor will take over while the turbos are spooling. If this is the case, then I'm absolutely going with the Hybrid!

You will have your answer today. Land Cruiser and Tacoma iFORCEMAX videos out a 7AM EDT. The @Administrator has adjusted some of my posting titles for better appeal and clarification. I always appreciate these adjustments.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
From what I've seen of Tacoma reviews, there really is not much noticeable turbo lag in the non-hybrid 4 cylinder. I expect any that is there will be completely removed by the electric motor.

OP
OP
Scott2373

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would say the Administrator as I had one change as well. It did clean up my title as I wasn’t clear on my message, I was lazy and it was early morning hours as well.
I'm not impressed. I don't appreciate having my posts changed at will without my permission. I've never been a member of a forum in which this behavior is accepted as normal. I do understand that there are MANY more 4Runnerforums that I could join, I just happened to join this one.

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 FJ
Here's positive comment about turbo lag / torque fill from the Motortrend review:

Yes, it’s a hybrid now, but save the Prius jokes because, like other Toyota trucks, it feels tuned for power, not economy. Unlike most of Toyota’s car-based hybrids, which blend two electric motors with the engine via a planetary continuously variable automatic transmission—you know, the combination that makes mooing sounds—the Land Cruiser gets the truckier version with a single large electric motor integrated into the transmission, which dumps torque into the drivetrain every time you touch the throttle. The torque fill helps the drivetrain feel far more responsive at all times, but especially at low engine speeds when the turbo hasn’t spooled.

Weighing 800 pounds less than the 200 Series and blessed with that on-demand torque, the new Land Cruiser feels considerably quicker. We think the 0–60-mph time will drop by nearly a second, making it the quickest Cruiser ever, despite half the cylinder count of the old V-8. Even so, the EPA says the new Land Cruiser will do 22/25/23 mpg city/highway/combined—far better than the V-8-powered model’s 13/18/15 mpg—but during our drive in the countryside we struggled to approach 18 mpg average as reported by the onboard computer.

OP
OP
Scott2373

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is encouraging! Thanks!

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm not impressed. I don't appreciate having my posts changed at will without my permission. I've never been a member of a forum in which this behavior is accepted as normal. I do understand that there are MANY more 4Runnerforums that I could join, I just happened to join this one.
I never had it happen before, but as long as the intent of the change is not detrimental to my original post I am ok with it. In my case it enhanced and clarified the question.
I understand your feeling as well.