U.S Four Cylinder on way?

Discussion in 'B48 4-Cyl Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Bolt-Ons' started by Bruins71, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Bruins71

Bruins71 Active Member

First Name:
    Tony
    Car(s):
    Highlander,Acura TSX,Mitsubishi Lancer deposit on 2020 Supra
    Liked:
  2. Jabba

Jabba Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joel
    Car(s):
    2017 Subaru WRX
    Liked:
    Wow, so this might be happening. Pretty cool for a lower entry, but that'll really put it in some close competition. And most of the competition comes with a manual option. Hopefully Toyota incorporates that manual they were testing and gradually improves on it, so it could make it to the B58.

Bruins71 likes this.
  3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
    https://jalopnik.com/toyota-says-four-cylinder-supra-still-isn-t-in-its-u-s-1834416088

Jabba likes this.
  4. tisdrew

tisdrew Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BMW 335i
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I would be so stoked to have the 4cyl version. I wish they'd bring it here but maybe they don't want it watering down the brand/image here in the states since we're horsepower-spoiled snobs and bench-racers.

5. KahnBB6

KahnBB6 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
    Liked:
    Tada has said in one interview that he's wary of allowing the Supra to compete with the GT86 when it came to the question of a manual transmission in the MKV Supra because "...then the 86 has nowhere to go."

It's not an argument that holds water though. The MKV is a two seater and has a turbocharger regardless of whether it has the four cylinder or six cylinder while the GT86 has had, historically, an NA engine and a fairly usable 2+2 seating layout.

(^^ And I'll stand by that statement as I've checked out the 86/FR-S/BRZ myself-- it's a 2+2 on about the same level of interior usefulness as the 97-01 Prelude which is to say if you ever owned one of those... surprisingly more than you might initially give it credit for).

I don't see Toyota's potential offering of the 2.0L 4cyl turbo in the Supra or a manual in that model as being in any way directly competing with the 86's 4cyl manual & auto 2+2 formula. The Supra is still going to be a much lower volume car built on a specialized chassis and the next 86 will be built on the higher volume TGNA architecture (still as a RWD of course).

Toyota should offer the 2.0L turbo and a manual to go with it. It would be like a modern equivalent of the JDM only Supra MKIII 1G-GTE 2.0L turbo with automatic and manual choices. That was sold below the top range 3.0GT 7M-GTE and the later '89-'92 2.5 Twin Turbo R 1JZ-GTE model. They've been down this road successfully once before.

zz33 likes this.
  6. vb22

vb22 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    SC300
    Liked:
    If they have no plans on bringing to the US why are there 4 banger test cars driving around CA?

AsupramkvC likes this.
  7. johnny_10196

johnny_10196 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):
    Ford
    Liked:
    Another one spotted in CA.

AsupramkvC likes this.
  8. white_turbo

white_turbo Active Member

Car(s):
    2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
    Liked:
    Home Page:
    Garage Profiles:
    I really don't understand where the turbo-4 will compete in the US. Assuming the price is in the range of 35-45K, which would then put it in competition with the Camaro Turbo and Mustang Ecoboost area, I don't see how it is going to do well in the American market, especially one without a manual transmission. And if it does come with a manual, it could pull customers away from the inline 6 model effectively just spreading out the customer base.

supraboi and johnny_10196 like this.
  9. supraboi

supraboi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vu
    Car(s):
    GS300
    Liked: