Uk front number plate

colinjsupra

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota supra pro
Had strange ask from garage today re front number plate. Pasted below, any ideas how to respond ? Legal requirements ?

We require your help with the front number plate,

We can fit the plate under the bonnet nose but that will require us to drill two holes into the bumper.

Do you really want us to drill into the front bumper?

Apparently most Toyota dealers are not fixing the number plate to the front of the car, you will still receive a front plate but it will be loose if you wish to go that way.
Sponsored

Hillstart

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 GT86, 2019 Supra A90edition, 2020 GR Yaris CP
Glad to see the dealer gave you a choice.

There are some examples of where to site front plate on private/custom plate thread in uk forum.

2 drill holes, sure mines got at least 3/4 drill holes attaching the backing plate to the bumper then another 4 attaching the plate to that.

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
When I got my car I did not let them drill the bumper. I kept the number plate in the window until I got a tow hook mount sorted. Bought a generic one from Amazon made for BMW F series cars which fitted the tow hook hole perfectly. Needed to trim the backing plate and the number plate slightly but now fits perfectly in the space and doesn't block the air intake. Doesn't look the best but it is a good solution avoiding drilling the bumper.

ZoafwkO.jpg

dqX20Q6.jpg

OP
OP

colinjsupra

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota supra pro
they mounted mine front rounded which I think I like, I thought it would look square but bent around seems ok to me

image1.jpg

Webweasel

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Celica GT4 ST205, A90 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is in the window. Ill get a sticker one for the bonnet at some point. Not exactly driving much right now.

rjn21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
I used a spare Lamborghini Huracan front plate mount I had with a legal "size zero" fourdot plate.
Looks ok to me. It's road legal (I can't be bothered with the stress of no plate / wrong font / wrong size / wrong spacing / wrong plate material). It doesnt cover any intakes or the design lines of the nose which the OEM plate carrier does.

Attachments

Mark-in-Stoke

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86 Supra v
I used a spare Lamborghini Huracan front plate mount I had with a legal "size zero" fourdot plate.
Looks ok to me. It's road legal (I can't be bothered with the stress of no plate / wrong font / wrong size / wrong spacing / wrong plate material). It doesnt cover any intakes or the design lines of the nose which the OEM plate carrier does.
What is the width of that plate, looks pretty bang on to me

rjn21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
Itā€™s 348mm wide x 105mm high, which is the legal minimum possible with my specific registration mark whilst using a legal font / character size / character spacing / character grouping / border.

Last edited:

Mark-in-Stoke

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GT86 Supra v
Well chuffed, the one I've ordered is basically that size and only 5 digits on the reg, was hoping it would fit and looking at yours "jobs a good un"

E4EVL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AMG GTS - sold awaiting a replacement
08102C47-BFAC-4977-8212-CC1EFDAF12B1.jpeg

No holes drilled, legal size, legal spacing and legal font. Wouldnā€™t work for a normal seven character plate but perfect for me. Could potentially get away with six character too if it was mounted lower down

rjn21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
What ā€œno drillā€ method did you use to affix the plate to the grille? Thanks.

Hillstart

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 GT86, 2019 Supra A90edition, 2020 GR Yaris CP
Anyone on here just purchased the registration A90 SUP?
Sponsored