Underdonk's '21 GR Supra 3.0 Premium HPDE Build

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Originally posted on 6/12/21 - Last Modified on 10/10/22:

My '21 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium and '21 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road (tow vehicle):

PXL_20210501_130232066 - Copy.jpg

My goal is to build the car for HPDEs and something to have fun with on the road. As such, my first goal is to improve the stock components which I find lacking. The front braces on the car seemed pretty cheap and flimsy on the '21s - almost like an afterthought - so I decided to upgrade to the Cusco front brace:

PXL_20210528_204811834 - Copy.jpg

This definitely helped tighten-up the front end, made turn-in sharper, and made the car feel more precise. Definitely worth the upgrade, even on a '21 that comes with the bars from the factory. Next up was fixing the less than stellar brake pedal feel. So I picked up and installed the Verus Engineering master cylinder brace:

PXL_20210610_002718559 - Copy.jpg

This helped significantly with pedal feel. So with that aspect of the car improved, I worked on a trio of modifications that are convenient to do at the same time: The airbox resonator delete, an air/oil separator, and the turbo heat shield, all from Verus Engineering:

PXL_20210608_204443300 - Copy.jpg

A better shot of the turbo heat shield after installation without the airbox in the way:

PXL_20210607_202258025.jpg

Next up was a downpipe. After ordering and inspecting the aFe catless downpipe, I decided to return it. I was a low-quality component and the piping was stepped-down opposite of the airflow direction, resulting in a sizeable ridge against the airflow, ultimately resulting in turbulence and unwanted backpressure in the exhaust system. aFe customer support was atrocious (I ended up canceling my sway bar order with them as a result, as well). I considered it a significant design flaw. They considered it normal.. I paid $90 shipping to return - they wouldn't cover it. After many recommendations from members here, I went with the Active Autowerke catted downpipe:

downpipe.jpg

First impression was that it's a very high-quality part. With the stock exhaust, it produces a good amount of additional power, as measured by my butt dyno. On the way home from the shop where it was installed, the car actually caught me out on the cold tires and I almost looped it on a public road. Very impressive. It also gave the car a bit of a raspy sound with a more aggressive tone overall. Still very subtle. While I liked it, I was looking for more.

So next up was upgrading the exhaust. Based on the information in this community, the stock exhaust is just fine and likely doesn't require upgrading unless you're making 600hp+ at the wheels. However, I derive significant enjoyment from the aural experience with any car I own. After much research I decided to go with the AWE Track Edition exhaust. I was warned it would be loud. And it is. Very loud. But the tone is intoxicatingly good. I highly recommend this exhaust system:

exhaust.jpg

After creating a discussion here about our member's favorite upgrades (not necessarily ones that made them faster), I decided to buy a custom steering wheel based on the feedback about it. To me, the OEM steering wheel feels like it was straight out of whatever leftover parts-bin Toyota had sitting around. A user here recommended I reach out to @lpperformanceco (on Instagram), which I did, and after discussing what I was after and getting me a quote, I pulled the trigger:

PXL_20220508_173107039 - Copy.jpg

It's a super high-quality part, the material feels great, has curves in all of the right places, and is nice and thick (which is the thing about the stock steering wheel that bothered me the most). The wheel makes a huge difference in how much I enjoy the car every time I get into it. I feel more connected to the car and the road. Plus it's pretty.

In addition to the above, I have the following components installed on the car:
  • Burger Motorsports JB4 w/ Custom Tuning by @Jesse DaBears
  • xHP Stage 3 Transmission Flash
  • Fuel-It! Flex Fuel Kit
  • LiquiMoly 5w-30 Engine Oil
  • Verus Engineering Differential Cooler
  • Cusco Rear Power Brace
  • FTP Turbo Inlet Pipe
  • HKS Air Filter
  • aFe Front & Rear Sway Bars
  • SPL Parts Front & Rear Sway Bar End Links
  • SPL Parts Traction Links
  • Twisted Tuning Upgraded Transmission Mounts
  • SPL Parts Solid Aluminum Differential Mounts
  • Cusco Front and Rear Red Tow Hooks
  • M Performance Carbon Shift Paddles
Upgrading to the JB4 w/ a custom Map 6 on 93 octane pump gas has resulted in a bump in power and much smoother power delivery versus both the JB4 on Map 2 and the JB+. Don't get me wrong, the JB+ definitely made the car pull harder and was smooth, especially at speed, but the JB4 w/ custom tuning is in another league. I told myself when buying the JB+ that it was enough and I didn't want to muck about with the JB4 and its complexities. We see how that went.

The car's electronics have been customized using BimmerCode (w/ and OBDLink MX+ adapter) and xHP (w/ an MHD Wireless Orange adapter). The former was used to do things such as disable the seatbelt chime, remove traction control messages, and always start the car in Sport mode. The latter was used to flash a customized Stage 3 tune to the TCU that made a significant difference in how quickly the car up- and downshifts.

I posted the following comments about the aFe sway bars (which I ended up relenting on and bought them directly from aFe when they were in-stock) w/ SPL Parts end links, Twisted Tuning upgraded transmission mounts, and SPL Parts differential mount bushings: Yesterday I picked up the car after having aFe sway bars w/ SPL end links installed. They're set on the firmest setting up front and the middle in the rear. Remarkable improvement in the handling characteristics of the car. I'll say, subjectively, the largest improvement in any car I've done sway bars on separately from other suspension modifications. The car stays very flat in corners and is nice and balanced with these settings. Turn-in is improved and feels very sharp. I'm eager to see how they do on the track. Overall, well worth the expense of having someone drop the rear subframe and install the rear bar - not something I was willing to tackle myself in the garage.

I also had the "upgraded" Twisted Tuning transmission mounts and SPL solid aluminum differential mounts installed. Since I did these together, it's a bit tough to tell their effects apart, but I'll give it a go having done these separately in past cars. The trans mounts are definitely high on the "don't do these if you're sensitive to NVH" list. The car rumbles and clunks when in low gears while getting up to speed. You can definitely feel what's going on in the transmission. That may or may not be your thing. I love it... for a weekend fun car. @Thraxbert described it as visceral in another thread, which I agree with! It took a lot of the slop out of the drivetrain, so mission accomplished in that regard. Shifts feel more direct, and when combined with xHP, very precise.

The diff mounts make the rear feel a bit grindy when getting up to speed with some faint whining to accompany that. I joked with a friend that you can now feel every spline in the diff when putting around. However, bushing deflection is completely gone, as you would expect with a solid chunk of aluminum. Any semblance of wheel hop (when accelerating quickly from a stop) has been eliminated. Power delivery coming out of low speed corners, or turning from a stop and juicing it, is buttery smooth. This will be beneficial on the track. However, I would hesitate on a daily driver, which my car is not.
(Context: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-supra-today.2074/page-545#post-209629)

I'm very pleased with how the car is coming together. The inexpensive, passive upgrades to address cooling (save the Verus Engineering Hood Louver and Velossa Tech Ram Air Intake Snorkel noted below) have been completed, which this car needed due to the heat soak experienced on-track. Drivetrain slop has been greatly reduced through much stiffer transmission and differential mounts, with the upgraded motor mounts being installed soon. The basic power upgrades have been completed with one notable exception: The E35 tune for the JB4 I will be working with @Jesse DaBears. The next large(ish) upgrade I'll need to do even for street driving are a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (in factory size on factory wheels). At it stands, even running the 93 octane JB4 tune, I can't put down power at full throttle in 1st or 2nd gears without roasting the tires. Hammering it at the middle of the rev range in 3rd gear, if the pavement isn't perfect, causes the rear of the car to shimmy at the edge of adhesion. Overall, it's turning into a fun track and street car!

On deck to be installed by a local motorsports shop:
  • Doteki Auto Solutions Polyurethane Motor Mounts (Track Version)
  • Turner Braided Stainless Steel Brake Pads
  • CSG C21/C11 Brake Pads
  • MOTUL RBF 660 Racing Brake Fluid
  • Complete Set of SPL Parts Kit for the A90
On deck to be installed by a local body shop:
  • Verus Engineering Carbon Hood Louver
  • A91 Replica Spoiler w/ Satin Black Finish
In garage to be installed by me at a future date:
  • FTP Charge Pipe
  • Velossa Tech Ram Air Intake Snorkel
  • MST Performance V2 Intake System
  • Hochman Fabrication Rear Brace/Harness Bar
Bonus tow vehicle glamor shot (sitting in 9 inches of fresh snow):

Tacoma.jpg

Updated bonus tow vehicle glamor shot - I've done some work to it:

PXL_20220806_005124063 - Copy.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Following along! Regardless what tires or wheel combo you end up with, you're going to want more camber (at least in front) and unfortunately front camber is not adjustable from the factory. Lowering the car will give you a bit more camber but you'll probably find on track you'll fight for even tire wear and understeer. Good luck and enjoy!

Alignment Notos.png

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Following along! Regardless what tires or wheel combo you end up with, you're going to want more camber (at least in front) and unfortunately front camber is not adjustable from the factory. Lowering the car will give you a bit more camber but you'll probably find on track you'll fight for even tire wear and understeer. Good luck and enjoy!
Doh! Thanks for the tip. The first place the car is going after the spring install is to get an alignment, which honestly, I should probably do now from the factory anyway given how out of spec some of these cars are coming. I'm considering a full SPL setup ($$$) which from what I understand, will given me the ability to adjust the front camber to the spec I desire. It's just such a big investment, however, the increase in road feel and the ability to tell what the car is doing under you is probably worth it. I'm not a big fan of Toyota's over-boosted power steering!

EDIT: I should probably mention that I'm planning on just buying another set of the factory wheels to put race rubber on. I will likely powder coat both sets, but they are solid, light, factory wheels for a car like this.

Last edited:

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Doh! Thanks for the tip. The first place the car is going after the spring install is to get an alignment, which honestly, I should probably do now from the factory anyway given how out of spec some of these cars are coming. I'm considering a full SPL setup ($$$) which from what I understand, will given me the ability to adjust the front camber to the spec I desire. It's just such a big investment, however, the increase in road feel and the ability to tell what the car is doing under you is probably worth it. I'm not a big fan of Toyota's over-boosted power steering!

EDIT: I should probably mention that I'm planning on just buying another set of the factory wheels to put race rubber on. I will likely powder coat both sets, but they are solid, light, factory wheels for a car like this.
It's a pretty common strategy to get a second set of factory tires. Something to consider that others have done is run a small front spacer and get a second set of rear wheels for the front (275 square or 285 if you like).

After chewing through my factory tires - which perform decently on track - great learning tool and exposes my mistakes for me to correct - I'll be installing the SPL FLCA and Caster bushing. I'll see how I like the car and the wear from that point forward. Everyone's different and it's more fun to experience the car's changes over time than just changing everything at once, not knowing what actually made the biggest differences for you.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Everyone's different and it's more fun to experience the car's changes over time than just changing everything at once, not knowing what actually made the biggest differences for you.
Very good point! Thanks for the advice. Moreso than anything, what will probably make the biggest difference in performance is upgrading the component between the seat and the steering wheel! ;)

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase

All you need to adjust the front camber is the SPl front lower control arm. That is what I did while lowering. You at least don't have to do the entire SPL catalog at once. Haha

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
All you need to adjust the front camber is the SPl front lower control arm. That is what I did while lowering. You at least don't have to do the entire SPL catalog at once. Haha
Nah, I think I want to do it all anyways because I have more money than brains. ?

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Nah, I think I want to do it all anyways because I have more money than brains. ?
This is my thought when I upgrade to coilovers. Just going to do the rest of it then too. Haha

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Look into Swift Springs before installing the Eibachs. Swift is a quality manufacturer and has springs that will not bind, unlike many of the other aftermarket springs.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Look into Swift Springs before installing the Eibachs. Swift is a quality manufacturer and has springs that will not bind, unlike many of the other aftermarket springs.
Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated.

GR007

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 A91CF, '21 A90 3.0 Prem, '21 Audi RS5, '96 Z3
I was on the same path as "underdonk" but decided to lower my car and align back to factory specs. I added a set of H&R springs, BBS CHR's and a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's and headed for the NASA HPDE at Carolina Motor Sports Park in South Carolina. My first couple sessions we ok but once I got the pressure right on those Michelins, I was glued to the track. No understeer at all with my setup. My "in car" mentor was blown away in the manner the Supra handled as it screamed around the track. A great couple days at the track and you will have a blast as well.

Bkuu18

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
awesome review! I was considering the AWE TRACK also but not sure if I can live with how loud it is since this is my daily. Since it's not an active exhaust, is non-sport mode still quiet enough to drive normally? How is the drone? I don't know anyone with the awe setup around me so hard to judge through sound clips

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
awesome review! I was considering the AWE TRACK also but not sure if I can live with how loud it is since this is my daily. Since it's not an active exhaust, is non-sport mode still quiet enough to drive normally? How is the drone? I don't know anyone with the awe setup around me so hard to judge through sound clips
Thanks! I'll try to get some additional sound clips (including drive-bys) when I'm back from vacation. I personally thought the drone was actually worse with the stock exhaust and the AA catted downpipe cruising in 8th gear around 1800-2000rpms. With the AWE Track Edition exhaust, the drone isn't too bad, but everything else about it is pretty intense. Again, I love it. I figured I start with the louder setup then add in the pieces to make it quiter if needed. Not planning on doing that at this point. I have my car coded to start up in sport mode and don't think I've driven it on normal mode since the week I bought it, so I can't comment on that - sorry!

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Bump for update to original post on 7/15/22.

Major updates to parts lists and discourse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Bump for update on 8/14/22.

Minor updates to parts list after install last week. Spoiler alert: The SPL traction links made a good difference with the stiffness and responsiveness of the rear end. Took me by surprise - didn't expect this from the traction links when installed separately from other SPL bits.
Sponsored