Featured Video: Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada Talks About the New Supra

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by yalpeR, May 11, 2019.

1. yalpeR

yalpeR New Member

Car(s):
    GR Supra
    Liked:
  2. Australian of The North

Australian of The North Well-Known Member

First Name:
    ██████[Removed]
    Car(s):
    [Content Restricted],█████,|[Content Restricted]█████
    Liked:
    ██████[Content Restricted]
    was something lost in translation here? I swear i heard the translator saying that on the MkIV, everything would break when turning up the boost - "blow the engine, transmission and diff"... either the translator is rubbish, they didn't do their history, or they are just trying to rubbish the MKiv again.... Either way its totally inaccurate, and an example of one side of the slanted media on this car.

Turbro and Novice_Mentality like this.
  3. vb22

vb22 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    SC300
    Liked:
    Lots of good stuff! Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

4. 2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    My feet
    Liked:
    Maybe he meant to say MK3 A70 :p

5. tonyng92

tonyng92 Active Member

Car(s):
    E93 M3 F82 M4
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    full boost at 1.5k rpm? wtf

6. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    The translator is prominent in motorsport, Toshi does a lot of time attack events. He knows his shit.

I don't think he's referring to the A80, but generalising for cars in general.

Remember too that when the A80 was new, many people broke them tuning before the tried and tested methods were established.

supraboi, johnny_10196, Guff and 7 others like this.
  7. BPEK Supra Interactive

BPEK Supra Interactive Active Member

First Name:
    Branden
    Car(s):
    1990 Toyota Supra Turbo; 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Collector's Edition; 2016 Toyota Camry SE
    Liked:
    Home Page:
    Sweet, removeable inlet/outlet! Seems very customizable. Just need to create our own ducts!

8. KahnBB6

KahnBB6 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
    Liked:
    In the very early days of tuning MKIV TT's I do believe there were some early issues because no one fully understood the engines yet. At least this was true for a very short time in the USA. I would imagine in Japan the 1JZ-GTE and tuning that engine was already getting to be familiar.

Also remember that the JDM MKIV TT's didn't take to boost as high as 18 psi out of the box on the stock turbos since the JDM turbos had ceramic exhaust wheels and the injectors were down 100cc from the factory. But the rest of the cooling system being the same this was all easily overcome.

Export spec MKIV TT's had the same cooling system but higher flow injectors and all steel wheel turbos that took to more easy tuning at higher power out of the box than the stock JDM MKIV TT's did. Of course all easily remedied.

But when the cars first came out the wealth of 2JZ tuning knowledge that we take for granted today wasn't there just yet. That took a few years from the time the car was first released in 1993.

And high horsepower MKIVs do need extra cooling compared to stock ones depending on how they are set up.

I don't know about blowing diffs though or those Getrags. The 6-speeds are tough as nails (other than parts shortages now) and the 220mm diffs and 200mm diffs are very, very strong.

Maybe he was mostly referring to the engine and its management, cooling and fuel system and not going beyond a stock turbo's safe boost threshold.

I didn't take Tada-san's comments as bashing the MKIV in any way but rather to mean that with a totally new platform that is guaranteed to see tuning he wanted to make sure that every provision he could work in to allow for additional cooling, a much bigger intercooler, oil lines to those coolers, etc. would all be there in even the most basic I6 configuration.

He could have also been thinking about the worst of what could happen when tuning any car in general.

We could certainly apply his comment in this regard to the GT86 which, good as it is as a balanced driver's machine is NOT nearly as overbuilt as the MKV from the chassis to the engine to the transmission(s) or the rear differential.

Although since the 86 basically has an IS300/MKIII rear diff that part of it is pretty strong out of the box maybe apart from the stock rear axles.

gymratter and MLG Tofu Shop like this.
  9. BRX

BRX Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Abdulla
    Car(s):
    Tundra, Celica, GT86
    Liked:
    Can confirm both statements. My V8 swapped 86 just annihilated the stock transmission after about 10,000kms doing a half throttle 4th gear pull. I also swapped the rear end for a taller ratio IS300 diff with +200,000kms and it couldn't careless.

Vaevictum likes this.
  10. KahnBB6

KahnBB6 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
    Liked:
    ^^ That makes sense. And sorry your transmission broke. Never a fun experience to remedy : /

The TL70 (I think that’s right) 6-speed transmission is an evolution of the same one used in the RX-8 and Silvia S15. And also the S2000 I think.

It can handle some extra torque but not too far beyond what it’s designed for. Except for the S15 Silvia all those other OEM applications of the earlier versions of the same transmission have engines with little more than 155 ft-lbs or so of torque just like the 86.

That diff design in MKIII’s and IS300/Altezzas handles plenty of torque all day long with an aftermarket clutch type LSD.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
    supra.jpg

12. reyoasian

reyoasian Member

First Name:
    reyo
    Car(s):
    B58B30M0/EA888/4GR-FSE
    Liked:
    #12 May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    I have no doubt this is and will be a great car, but the way he dodged some of the questions and gave very BS answers really bother me.

- double pull hood latch: let's face it, it's not because of the old Supra... it's because this is a BMW
    - boost... it's a simple question
    - lack of power vs Z4... this is the same version of the B58 (B58B30M1) used in the BMW X5/7 and some European Z4/M340i, so tell me again you don't know what BMW was doing
    - I have no doubt Toyota has put in lots of effort in developing this car but it's definitely not as he said "we agreed on the dimensions and parted ways"

I'm surprised nobody asked him about why it doesn't come in a manual, but we all know why that is... (because the Z4 doesn't come with one)

On the other hand I really like how this car is so aftermarket-ready, and all the fake vents can actually be functional.
    But those tiny rear calipers (due to electronic parking brake)... and why must cars nowadays all come with adaptive dampers?

13. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    2018 4Runner Off-Road, 2017 Mk7 Golf TSI, 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4, 2020 AZW Supra on Order
    Liked:
    Because adaptive dampers are the best suspension advancement made since the shock absorber itself.

14. reyoasian

reyoasian Member

First Name:
    reyo
    Car(s):
    B58B30M0/EA888/4GR-FSE
    Liked:
    I actually meant to say why must cars nowadays all come with electronic parking brakes, but I still have the same pet peeve about adaptive dampers too.
    I'd beg to differ as a properly matched spring/damper combo will always be better than adaptive.
    But adaptive is what sells and that's what matter for a business.