Supra vs 86 Compared and Contrasted in TFL Review

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
TFL: The New 2020 Toyota Supra is Back! In This Classic TFLcar 2020 Toyota Supra Mashup Review we compare and review the new Supra to the Toyota 86 to find out if the 2020 New Toyota Supra is More Than just a rebadged BMW Z4.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
I really enjoyed listening to this guy's review. He addressed the same questions, concerns, gripes and head scratchers that I've been wondering about the MKV. I'm 6'2 so that was on point as well as the engine/exhaust sound. He had a neutral approach to his review about the overall identity and the reason why Toyota did what they did with joint ventures. We need more vids like this.

Since he couldn't disclose more details, I'm definitely looking forward to his full review once the embargo has expired.

TheFalls

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
A nice review from Roman and he really tried his best with the embargo in place.

Have to wait for the complete review after the lift. Should be an interesting one.

Clear and addresses some doubts people have been voicing out, and also gave us some nice sound clips.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
So nobody is mad that he said the interior feels like a BMW? :D
he has always bee a rather poor reviewer anyways as a man that requires such a wide turn where he crosses into the opposing lane should be fired from every sports car review from here on out...he is comparing "fun" but the only "fun" thing he refers to is driving fast in a straight line and doing burnouts in open lots. yeah, he really got into the fine details...

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
So nobody is mad that he said the interior feels like a BMW? :D
he has always bee a rather poor reviewer anyways as a man that requires such a wide turn where he crosses into the opposing lane should be fired from every sports car review from here on out...he is comparing "fun" but the only "fun" thing he refers to is driving fast in a straight line and doing burnouts in open lots. yeah, he really got into the fine details...
I find TFL to be very unbiased. Let's be honest, while they did try pay homage to a lot of Toyota/Lexus designs, you can't help but be honest that it has a lot of BMW flair into it. But to me, I love that because BMW interiors are a pleasure to be in. They have one of the best ergonomics and in terms of design, it's great. I adore iDrive (I think Toyota should use that as their main infotainment system) and their switchgear is solid. It could have been better, for god damn sure. But you know what? If I forget some of the poor elements that this interior has, it isn't the absolute worst ever. It's genuinely not that bad and feels unique.

JT

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Review: https://jalopnik.com/how-the-2020-toyota-supra-compares-to-the-toyota-86-in-1834736476

Two sports cars. Both are rear-wheel drive. Both have two doors. Both have the same badge—Toyota. Curiously, neither of them has a Toyota engine. One costs literally twice as much as the other. They’re as different as they are similar. So when you drive the new 2020 Toyota Supra and the aging but still delightful Toyota 86 back to back, what do you learn?

arexniba

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, VOLVO, ACURA, DUCATI 899
There's NO comparison with these 2 lol

My advice: stop caring about what’s under the engine bay, and enjoy these go-fast Toyotas for what they are.

What kind of advice is that (from the article)?? I OBVIOUSLY care about what's under the engine bay. If the article is geared towards car ENTHUSIASTS, then that's the most important factor, the heart of the car.

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The Toyota 86 is a sports car that pushes you to the limit, makes you drive as hard as you can so you can bring out the best out of the car. There’s an instant connection between the car and the driver(since it’s being offered with a manual transmission). The Toyota Supra, on the other hand, is more of a complete package. The Supra’s got the power, perfect balance, better infotainment system, more upscale, better ride quality, better tech, and more! I would love to call the Supra a.k.a. the “86 Turbo” enthusiasts have been clamoring for, just without that much connection between the car and the driver(since it lacks a manual offering).

As of now, if I were to choose one out of the two, as an avid car enthusiast, I’d go for the 86 since the driving is all up to the driver, unlike the Supra, which is currently just offered with an automatic transmission, is partly controlled by the driver, and part by the computer. If only the Supra will be offered with manual transmission, then I’d choose the Supra anytime, any day.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I find TFL to be very unbiased. Let's be honest, while they did try pay homage to a lot of Toyota/Lexus designs, you can't help but be honest that it has a lot of BMW flair into it. But to me, I love that because BMW interiors are a pleasure to be in. They have one of the best ergonomics and in terms of design, it's great. I adore iDrive (I think Toyota should use that as their main infotainment system) and their switchgear is solid. It could have been better, for god damn sure. But you know what? If I forget some of the poor elements that this interior has, it isn't the absolute worst ever. It's genuinely not that bad and feels unique.
IDC about the BMW bits, I wanted to know actual driving details on the Supra..Roman is unbiased because he is clueless half the time..he gets so many things wrong -.- I would barely trust his advice on dad jokes...the Supra should have been reviewed by Nathan

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
IDC about the BMW bits, I wanted to know actual driving details on the Supra..Roman is unbiased because he is clueless half the time..he gets so many things wrong -.- I would barely trust his advice on dad jokes...the Supra should have been reviewed by Nathan
I personally don't think that's a fair judgement because he's way less of a bumbling fool than Chris Harris, superspeedersrob, Vehicle Virgins and Doug Demuro. As well as the other retards that grace the internet.
Sponsored