Supra vs 86 Compared and Contrasted in TFL Review

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I personally don't think that's a fair judgement because he's way less of a bumbling fool than Chris Harris, superspeedersrob, Vehicle Virgins and Doug Demuro. As well as the other retards that grace the internet.
..what is wrong with Chris? he can actually drive very well unlike the rest of those fools you mentioned plus he correctly understands car mechanics, he knows what enthusiasts want and he ain't afraid to tell the automakers what he thinks. Regardless, if you don't think Roman is the biggest fool out of all of them with his grandma turning abilities, then we ain't gonna come to an agreement xD
Sponsored

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
..what is wrong with Chris? he can actually drive very well unlike the rest of those fools you mentioned plus he correctly understands car mechanics, he knows what enthusiasts want and he ain't afraid to tell the automakers what he thinks. Regardless, if you don't think Roman is the biggest fool out of all of them with his grandma turning abilities, then we ain't gonna come to an agreement xD
I 100% agree with your other points about Chris. But he's way too much of a sensationalist and if he never understands something, he continues to ramble on like the biggest idiot out there. Case in point, the whining that it's JUST a BMW, it has ZERO Japanese soul and to not listen to the engineers and their story. Shit like that makes me want to tell him to fuck off.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
@Guff What were your thoughts when comparing the 86 and Supra?
The 86 is definitely more playful, easier to drive, much lower limits, and clearly less capable. But they both share really sublime chassis balance, both are easy to read and very predictable at the limit. The Supra is clearly in a different league with the power it has, but the 86 definitely has better steering, better visibility, and feels smaller around you. The weight difference is definitely noticeable as well, but the Supra does a good job of masking some of that weight.

Is one more fun than the other? I mean, I had a lot of fun driving the Supra and the 86, so I don't think I can totally quantify that. The Supra will drift just as happily even with the higher mechanical grip levels, thanks to (again) good balance, but also because it makes stupid torque. The 86 is definitely more chuckable, but you also have to use weight transfer to get it moving usually, which you don't necessarily need in the Supra.

I was honestly expecting the Supra to be a little bit more "bite-y" once you went past the limits, but honestly, it wasn't; it was really easy. Generally, the more performance/grip in a car, the more careful you need to be at that 9-10/10ths, and that can take away from the "fun" because it induces a little stress. But the Supra is somehow still very easy, just like the 86, which is commendable.

I guess the million dollar question is: Would I sell my 86 for a Supra? Or is the 86 enough of a unique experience to want to keep both?

Well, maybe if I was Shmee-wealthy, I'd keep both, but at this point in time, I'd probably sell the 86 and get a Supra. Supra is just all around a better daily-driver and a better performer overall. I already own other manual cars, so I can get my manual fix that way (although I would still prefer a manual Supra), and the auto is really good. The Supra def gives you that balance that was so addicting in the 86, and although there are differences (like price obv), I think the Supra is a better car overall (for me).

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
What a useless article. You can't compare these 2. Totally different class of cars. It's like comparing a Miata to a GT3. Sure both are RWD sports cars, but that's where it ends.

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
So I am seriously thinking of buying the Supra. I just want to make the right choice and I have never spent $60K on a car. So I am a bit skeptical and I just want to make sure I am making the right decision. I am no racecar driver and I don't really intend to take the supra to a track to set lap times and all that. My use case for the supra is a fun driver's car for the weekend to drive along the beautiful coastal roads on northern California to have some fun.

But a recent video by Engineering Explained I saw made me doubt my decision.

Now I think some of the points brought up in this video are quite valid. For example, the 86 is lighter and it is always better to drive a lighter car. I do realize supra is the BETTER car and there is no doubt about that. But is it really more fun than a 86 or a Miata. I mean I understand these are slower cars but are also lighter and are more nimble and predictable.

So my question really is, should I just buy an 86 and invest the remaining $30k in some savings account because the 86 is more fun or should I just pay the extra money for the supra?

Though I think I am able to afford it, I still think 60k is a lot of money to put on a depreciating asset like a car. So is it really worth it?

Also, I really hate the Supr steering wheel. I mean a Nissan Altima has a sportier steering wheel than the Supra.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I haven't watched old mate's video yet - but here's my impressions.

I had an 86 for 2 years before selling it for my A80.

It's an awesome car, but the biggest gripe I had with it was that it only felt special when you were driving it hard. If you were cruising around town, you could have been in a corolla.

The low power wasn't an issue for me because I had turbo cars as well.

I tracked the 86, but haven't tracked the A90 yet.

Now I have the A90, I feel it is easily as fun as the 86. It doesn't quite have the same steering feel, and no manual obviously, but I really like the ZF8. It works for the style of car. and you can effectively 'clutch kick' it.

and the A90 feels special just driving it around like a grandma.

Also, the steering wheel in the A90 is far nicer in person, and the cabin is an awesome place to sit. It feels more driver focused than the A80 - first thing I noticed after driving the A90 for two weeks and switching straight over to my A80.

Cornholio

First Name
Beavis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tungsten Supra Premium
Hell no. I have owned both and the Supra is far more enjoyable and rewarding to drive. Sounds better, looks better and drives better. Oh yeah much faster. I haven’t watched the video but I don’t think I need to

Blackforge

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra Launch Edition Nocturnal Black #636
Keep in mind they’re different classes of car, but share some of the same thought processes for the design (weight balance, center of gravity, etc.).

As a previous 2013 BRZ Limited owner of slightly over 7 years (preordered!), it was the “best” overall experience of any car I’ve owned. Not to say it did not have any nagging issues of its own. Was it absolutely a riot to drive around and sling through corners, absolutely. Did it have issues, absolutely as well.

Here is what I was looking for when I was looking around for a new vehicle recently:

Still wanted a “smallish” sports coupe
Quieter cabin (BRZ can be noisy for road noise... especially on the highway)
More “Luxury” creature comforts
More HP/Torque (Things a tune improved but did not eliminate on the BRZ without having to throw more money at it: torque dip... idle shudder/dip... just “slow” tooling around)

When looking at “luxury brands” like BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. Adding up comparable Supra features usually put the price over 68K+ easily. I’ve always driven some type of Japanese type of sports coupe for the cars I’ve purchased as well. So the Supra had the best to offer “for me” at the moment.

As mentioned the BRZ is fun to sling around, but after awhile you do that less unless you’re tracking the car. With the Supra, I have a button that changes the feel of the car from a nice comfortable daily driver to a fun powerful sports machine. Would I have liked a manual? Sure, but at the same time, I like being able to customize the experience when I’m feeling like just getting from point A to point B with a comfortable drive.

I don’t have the option of coastal roads, but had thought about a Miata as well. However, I don’t think I would drive with the top down that much. If I was in your situation, I might lean towards that, as cruising coastal roads is perfect for a convertible.

If you’re concerned about spending that much, maybe a used 86 or Miata would be better for you at the moment? This is definitely the most I’ve spent on a vehicle, so I understand the concern. At the same time, the experience is definitely making it feel more worthwhile.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I can’t say how it compares to the 86, but I thought it is way more fun than my old S4 and that car was $65K. My loaded Supra was $57K and I think it’s one of the best cars for the money.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I have both so I can give an assessment, but your first paragraph and the rest is somewhat contradicting.
You said you'll drive along the coast to have fun and I'm assuming perhaps few revs, few fast passes, etc. and it sounds like you're not going to take it to track.
So, Supra being a heavier car and 86 handling "better" shouldn't really be your concern.

What you need to consider are,
  1. Are you ok with A/T?
  2. Are you 100% sure you're not going to track it or autocross it, ever?
  3. Will this investment break you?
  4. How much do you care about comfort?
  5. Do you like the looks of 86 better than Supra? If Supra will break your budget, would you exterior modify 86 for looks?
  6. What's your take on used cars? You for sure have more options in that area....
  7. I see you're driving an Accord, you'll also have to consider the trunk and extra space in the cabin. Are you ready to give those up? Don't quote on me on this but I think 86 boot may be bigger, but trunk opening is restricted. So Supra may be more usable. Space around seats in Supra is limited..
Here is my POV:
  1. I agree with MA617M, in which if you're cruising and you haven't made any exterior mods to make it stand out (if you have such aspirations) you could be driving a Corolla. Of course to an extend, 86 suspension is harsh, thus not so comfortable, infotainment is good, but not great (my 86 is 2013, but aftermarket HUD, so it's bearable). On long drives, noise, seat comfort could annoy you. Refer back to pt (4)., but sure if you wanted to speed a bit more than you have 200hp in there, but you can easily be overtaken by most TC cars on the road, so prepared to be disappointed, if you care for that.
  2. I've AutoCrossed the 86, but did not track or autocross the Supra yet. This is where weight can play a role. CarGuy11 drove it on autoX, you can refer to him. But judging by my experiences with autoX, with sharp turns, short track, etc. 86 will be winner in having more fun, and also perhaps in track time.
  3. Day to day and over the weekend, with stock 86 vs stock Supra, per power output and looks Supra will win, but you'll also be judged by <A90 Supra and BMW fans, again if you care about such things. With 86, most people dismiss it. Nothing too special in stock form, unless you're an enthusiast. It's not a chick-magnet... Supra on the other hand, looks sharper, looks of it is debated on the web by many, but in person everyone so far loves it.
  4. Did 86 put a smile on my face every time I drove it for the past 7 years, sure! Did I wish it had at least 40 more HP, sure!. Did I wish sometimes the seat comfort was better, seat bolsters hugged me tighter, sure. Do I have so much fun in snow with 86, hell yeah!, on autoX, for sure!. Could I have done very little to fix these, yes! I didn't.
    Do I love the Supra, yes. Is it a controversial car, yes. Does it have a lot of potential, yes. Do I like to looks of it more than 86, yes. Engine more powerful; A/T, not terribly minding it atm.
  5. For me, I had a car for 7 years, Supra came out, I don't mind the BMW guts. It's my new toy and I'm planning on having lots of fun with it!.
Don't expect a buy this or that from me, as I've had 86 for a long time and also without understanding your exact requirements, I hate giving people advice, but unless used cars is a big NO for you, then definitely look into used stuff. Also, I hate to say it, but there is also the similarly priced C8 and C7's are getting cheaper.... which brings in another question:
Do you like crisp ride and handling? or do you care more about a V8? or no engine at all, how about a model 3? lol.

FYI. 2019 Calendar Year only:
upload_2019-11-16_19-27-32.png

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I owned a 86 for 3 years. I got the first one sold in Austin in Sept 2016. Daily drove it until trading it this August for the Supra.

The 86 is a great car. The manual transmission, the steering, really connect you to the road. It’s a ten-tenths car— Bottom line. When I drove it hard, it never disappointed because it takes you to its limits.

For what the OP wants, the 86 sounds like the way to go. If I were going to choose a 86, I’d go for the TRD handling package and maybe the Hakone Edition. You might turn at least a few heads:cool:
Sponsored

Last edited: