VIOFO A129 Duo dashcam installed

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
I installed an A129- I didn't practice what I preached earlier and move the cam high enough on the front. I might push this up in the summer (only the lens really needs to be below the textured part of the glass. This is still not as low as some other guy ran it thankfully. You cannot see it at all from the drivers seat) but the main objective was running and hiding the cables and making sure it all worked.

Overall it was a success. I do not intend to have it recording when the car is parked. The USB and cig lighter have power at all times so I need to figure out what I want to do. Maybe I will search for a cig->USB connector with a power switch if one exists.

The cables are nearly all hidden. From the front camera they go straight up to the roof liner. The power cable comes down the A pillar, then behind the glove box and out under the center stack which is the only place really visible.

The connection to the back camera go along the headliner then at the A pillar it travels back between the body and the roof liner completely free from the door gasket. it then runs behind the plastic panels and sticks out from one panel in the trunk. The slope of the back glass is too extreme to mount the camera low and it needs to be up by the third brake light. For now I ran the cable up the cover line and loop around. To really do this the "right" way, the cable would need to be run around the roof liner to the rubber piece where the cables cross over to the hatch. Then the cable would need to be run through that rubber and into the hatch panel where it connects to the camera with nothing visible. That is a summer job when the rubber is more pliable.

cam 1.jpg
cam 2.jpg
cam 3.jpg
cam 4.jpg
cam 5.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
I dont want these cameras recording when the car is parked and was intending to plug into the usb or cig port. Those are live ports when the car is off (standby mode). I did some research on bmws to learn in some models the ports stay active for about 10 minutes and then reactivate if the unlock button is pressed or the door handle is pulled. This seems easy enough to test but the car is currently all wrapped up for winter. Does anyone know if this is the case and if it is, do you see any battery danger leaving it plugged in?

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
I dont want these cameras recording when the car is parked and was intending to plug into the usb or cig port. Those are live ports when the car is off (standby mode). I did some research on bmws to learn in some models the ports stay active for about 10 minutes and then reactivate if the unlock button is pressed or the door handle is pulled. This seems easy enough to test but the car is currently all wrapped up for winter. Does anyone know if this is the case and if it is, do you see any battery danger leaving it plugged in?
Yes the ports do activate for about 10 minutes if the door handles are pulled or it is unlocked or locked.

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Seems like if the ports deactivate that maybe there will be no battery risk if i leave the cams plugged in