Visconti Flex Fuel kit VS. Fuel It Flex Fuel kit

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys. So recently a shop near me started selling Ignite E85 and E90 in the 5 gallon cans. I’ve been wanting to start running flex fuel so I was wondering what’s the difference between these two flex fuel reader kits? Also, how safe is E85 to use in our cars? I’ve been seeing that a lot of you use it. I currently have a JB4 so that’s what I plan to use in the foreseeable future for the tune.

Lemme know. Thanks.
Sponsored

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I'm assuming you're in a non tunable 21?

The visconti kit offers true flex fuel. Meaning you don't have to change a map based on ethanol content. Your tune will adjust the tables based on the reading.

The other kit is simply a read out, so it will be up to you to adjust parameters based on what you see.

Someone else correct me if I missed anything.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Isn’t it also possible to get a generic readout on the fuel line? Could be your cheapest option

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

The visconti kit offers true flex fuel. Meaning you don't have to change a map based on ethanol content. Your tune will adjust the tables based on the reading.

The other kit is simply a read out, so it will be up to you to adjust parameters based on what you see.

I think this is right. If you're running a JB4, buy the Fuel-It kit. The Fuel-It wires directly into the JB4 so you can see the read on your JB4 gauges. JB4 does not auto-tune based on this reading.

I have a locked 2021, run a JB4 w/ Fuel-It and Meth, tuned by @DaBears. I usually run E40-E45.

Running E you will find significantly worse gas mileage, and access to E is important. When running low on the JB4 you can dial down your map. I dial down to Map 2, YMMV.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I think this is right. If you're running a JB4, buy the Fuel-It kit. The Fuel-It wires directly into the JB4 so you can see the read on your JB4 gauges. JB4 does not auto-tune based on this reading.
That makes sense if you plan to run JB4 forever, but if you plan to switch to something else when the ECU is unlocked wouldn’t you want a kit that will work correctly with other tuning options so you don’t have to swap it out later? You can put a gauge on the Visconti kit as well to use in the mean time.

Running E you will find significantly worse gas mileage
This was definitely true on my STi, but I’ve found on the Supra I’m actually getting better mileage on E50 than on 91. On 91 I was getting around 18 mpg, on E50 I’m now getting around 21. I think it’s because the off-boost power is so much higher than I don’t have to hit the gas nearly as hard when accelerating normally. This is with an Ecutek tune though, with the JB4 it might be different.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I currently have a JB4 so that’s what I plan to use in the foreseeable future for the tune.
That makes sense if you plan to run JB4 forever
I was just answering OP's question

This was definitely true on my STi, but I’ve found on the Supra I’m actually getting better mileage on E50
It's true on all cars, because ethanol contains less energy than conventional fuels. Source 1, Source 2. Source 3

I just added sources because I didn't want this to turn into an argument. I love all of you, but I love science more.

Edit:

I think it’s because the off-boost power is so much higher than I don’t have to hit the gas nearly as hard when accelerating normally. This is with an Ecutek tune though, with the JB4 it might be different.
I didn't read this part originally because I got defensive too soon. Sorry, @suicidaleggroll

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Actually I have a tunable 2020 model but was hoping to be able to switch back to stock if needed and not flash the ECU. The warranty is another reason as well as reliability and longevity and wanting a car that is daily drivable. I’m not looking for a full blown race car, it would just be nice to have 500hp available on tap. I’m assuming if I go Ethanol and a tune then all that goes out the window?

Is tuning with Ecutek, MHD, or whatever other flash tune the only way to run the Visconti kit and have true flex fuel? So is it in that type of tune only where the car will read and adjust to the Ethanol content? If I stick to the JB4 it sounds like I’ll need to switch maps myself based on E readings, correct?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I didn't read this part originally because I got defensive too soon. Sorry, @suicidaleggroll
No worries, it was surprising to me since ethanol has a much lower stoich than gas and has a lower energy density to boot. I did install a downpipe and go to stage 2 at the same time as switching to E50, so that probably plays a part as well.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Actually I have a tunable 2020 model but was hoping to be able to switch back to stock if needed and not flash the ECU. The warranty is another reason as well as reliability and longevity and wanting a car that is daily drivable. I’m not looking for a full blown race car, it would just be nice to have 500hp available on tap. I’m assuming if I go Ethanol and a tune then all that goes out the window?

Is tuning with Ecutek, MHD, or whatever other flash tune the only way to run the Visconti kit and have true flex fuel? So is it in that type of tune only where the car will read and adjust to the Ethanol content? If I stick to the JB4 it sounds like I’ll need to switch maps myself based on E readings, correct?
Ehh, depends on how you drive. The JB4 will display your trims. Keep an eye on this (esp under boost). Reading your logs is good, paying someone else to read your logs is better.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have a locked 2021, run a JB4 w/ Fuel-It and Meth, tuned by @DaBears. I usually run E40-E45.
I like that the Fuel it ties directly to the JB4 so I don’t need to run a separate gauge somewhere. Running e40-e45 with @DaBears tune how does the car drive? Does it drive like stock just with a lot more power on tap?

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Does it drive like stock just with a lot more power on tap?
Exactly. It actually feels better than stock. Stop and Go/City traffic is better on the pedal. If you don't want power, don't use it. If you want power, it's there for ya.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. It actually feels better than stock. Stop and Go/City traffic is better on the pedal. If you don't want power, don't use it. If you want power, it's there for ya.
With this setup, do you know how much power are you getting and do you think that once your ECU is unlockable then you’ll still go for one of the other tunes? It sounds to me like there’s definitely an advantage to going Ecutek and having it adjust your E content but it’s not like it’s difficult to switch to a 91 map on the JB4 if I don’t want to go get some ethanol.

OP
OP
JRedMKV

JRedMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Another part of my initial question was the reliability of the car after going ethanol. I’ve read that all cars after a certain year are now required to be able to handle some ethanol in the fuel, but then I’ve also read that ethanol can mess up your fuel system. What have you guys encountered with your cars? Any problems?

edit: okay so it wasn’t part of my initial question but it’s something I’m wondering nonetheless. Lol.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
With this setup, do you know how much power are you getting and do you think that once your ECU is unlockable then you’ll still go for one of the other tunes? It sounds to me like there’s definitely an advantage to going Ecutek and having it adjust your E content but it’s not like it’s difficult to switch to a 91 map on the JB4 if I don’t want to go get some ethanol.
I haven't dyno'd but I'm told others with a similar (E/Meth) setup are around 500hp/550tq. One of these days I'll dyno it. It's quick. I know some folks are working on a BEF flash that works -with- the JB4 for the 2021 once it's more easily unlockable. I'll go this route. Really just need to be able to control fuel and the JB4 is good to go. We really just need a way to control fuel better. Flex is a good reason to go custom BEF.

Another part of my initial question was the reliability of the car after going ethanol. I’ve read that all cars after a certain year are now required to be able to handle some ethanol in the fuel, but then I’ve also read that ethanol can mess up your fuel system. What have you guys encountered with your cars? Any problems?
I've had no issues so far, but I've only got 5000 miles on it.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.

I assumed you were non tunable because you were on the piggy back. Throw JB4 in trash, get a real tune. (J/K sell it ?)

For starters the car is (I can't confirm this 100%) likely data logging your peak values anyways. So if your car blows up and you take it dealer, they should pretty easily be able to tell you're over stock boost and fuel parameters.

Also you're more likely to grenade it on a Jb4 with OTS maps than are you are a pro tune where an actual turner is adjusting maps based on your specific car, altitude, mods, IAT, fuel grade, etc.
Sponsored