• Total voters

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Don't like the front end view of the Z, nor the rear. It looks like it's dragging it's ass on the ground like an old hound dog. Perhaps a spoiler will fix that and maybe in person it looks better. We'll see I suppose. Interior looks nice, in fact I'd give it the edge over the Supra......barely.

I hope the manual is a good one because I don't have faith in any automatic Nissan or Infiniti use in their lineup will be suitable for a sports car. The 7AT in the G37xS was decent but then they ruined it in the Q50S by programming it for old geezers. They really need to put the ZF8 or a DCT in it for the AT model.

As for reliability. I've had multiple Nissans and they were all reliable. That last one (G37xS) never gave me one problem.
Sponsored

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Curious about cayman vs supra overall. How much am I missing out not owning a cayman?
Owned a Cayman prior to my RC-F... so there's a bit of a 'lag' between the two, but at least it was a 2015 with the 6C boxer rather than the 4C turbo (although I test drove a couple of those prior to getting the Supra... which should tell you something).

In brief:
  • Much nicer interior - everything in the Porsche is close to perfection, certainly everything you physically touch is just "right" IMO.
  • A bit more predictable as far as handling - MR vs FR is part of that, but I'm personally not a fan of some of Toyota's choices as far as suspension tuning either.
  • A bit less "fun" - partially due to the previous point, partially due to less power, and mostly due to being slower (in base trim at least) and quieter too.
  • Much more expensive on options - it's around $15K just to add what the MKV either includes in the base price, or adds with the premium "package". This is better with newer models, but with mine it was lacking almost everything (power seats, parking sensors/camera, BSM, heated seats, navigation, keyless entry/start, etc.).
  • Ironically... far less "noticeable" to people. I hardly had anyone comment on the Cayman, and I pretty much wind up talking for 5-10 minutes about the MKV every time I fill up or go through a drive-thru.
Part of that last point is color (Cayman=Agate Grey Metallic, Supra=Nitro Yellow) - but part of it is there are literally thousands of "closet Supra fans" that I never realized existed. Especially men in their 60's and 70's - although some of those think it's a Corvette, so grain of salt on that one. ;)

I'd add that I found the seats nearly intolerable in the Cayman - but they were the base seats. I'm sure the 18-way adjustable seats would have resolved a bit of this. Interior room was much worse, but it had more "safe" storage (i.e. you couldn't see into the trunk/frunk at all when closed).

To sort of mitigate this further off-topic... driving the Cayman was much like driving my 350Z was... I loved most of it, but felt I overpaid for what I got. For everyone else, it was invisible and never got a second glance... while I spent many hours just looking at it from all angles and smiling.

Once I considered everything - I went with the Supra and have no regrets... but if the Cayman GTS or GT4 had been only $10K/$20K more, respectively... then I'd be on a different forum right now. :cool:

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
I have the same question. Anyone driven a Cayman to compare? I could
Owned a Cayman prior to my RC-F... so there's a bit of a 'lag' between the two, but at least it was a 2015 with the 6C boxer rather than the 4C turbo (although I test drove a couple of those prior to getting the Supra... which should tell you something).

In brief:
  • Much nicer interior - everything in the Porsche is close to perfection, certainly everything you physically touch is just "right" IMO.
  • A bit more predictable as far as handling - MR vs FR is part of that, but I'm personally not a fan of some of Toyota's choices as far as suspension tuning either.
  • A bit less "fun" - partially due to the previous point, partially due to less power, and mostly due to being slower (in base trim at least) and quieter too.
  • Much more expensive on options - it's around $15K just to add what the MKV either includes in the base price, or adds with the premium "package". This is better with newer models, but with mine it was lacking almost everything (power seats, parking sensors/camera, BSM, heated seats, navigation, keyless entry/start, etc.).
  • Ironically... far less "noticeable" to people. I hardly had anyone comment on the Cayman, and I pretty much wind up talking for 5-10 minutes about the MKV every time I fill up or go through a drive-thru.
Part of that last point is color (Cayman=Agate Grey Metallic, Supra=Nitro Yellow) - but part of it is there are literally thousands of "closet Supra fans" that I never realized existed. Especially men in their 60's and 70's - although some of those think it's a Corvette, so grain of salt on that one. ;)

I'd add that I found the seats nearly intolerable in the Cayman - but they were the base seats. I'm sure the 18-way adjustable seats would have resolved a bit of this. Interior room was much worse, but it had more "safe" storage (i.e. you couldn't see into the trunk/frunk at all when closed).

To sort of mitigate this further off-topic... driving the Cayman was much like driving my 350Z was... I loved most of it, but felt I overpaid for what I got. For everyone else, it was invisible and never got a second glance... while I spent many hours just looking at it from all angles and smiling.

Once I considered everything - I went with the Supra and have no regrets... but if the Cayman GTS or GT4 had been only $10K/$20K more, respectively... then I'd be on a different forum right now. :cool:
Thank you very much. This was great info. ? After driving the Zupra this morning, I'm feeling even more confident with the choice after reading this. And I agree, this thing gets pretty ridiculous attention.
Still a Porsche fan in spirit though!

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have the same question. Anyone driven a Cayman to compare? I could

Thank you very much. This was great info. ? After driving the Zupra this morning, I'm feeling even more confident with the choice after reading this. And I agree, this thing gets pretty ridiculous attention.
Still a Porsche fan in spirit though!
I'm a huge Porsche fan as well - I don't think anyone that is enthusiastic about driving (whether competitively or just for fun) can fault their product in that aspect. I even found the Macan to be a delight - and I hate driving SUV's with a passion (but love the convenience of them).

On the other hand, I feel they value their "legacy" a bit too much. If you're buying a GT4 or GT3RS or something... then by all means strip the interior, keep the mechanical ignition switch, and sacrifice comfort for performance whenever you can. If you're buying a ~$65K "weekender" - then at least figure out how to include the same features a $25K Hyundai or Mazda has without options. :rolleyes:

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I feel something has to give. Lighter, more powerful, and cheaper than a Supra and its competitors? Even if it had a cheap interior, that wouldn't make a $20k difference.

Also, this is a game -- I don't think anything other than the NISMO trim which would probably be closer to a $60k car would push these numbers.
Something did give. Instead of making a totally redesign Z from the ground up as originally planned, Nissan basically took the 370z and given it new sheet metal, retuned suspension, upgraded interior, and a VR30.

According to auto industry insider Carmaker1, only $240 million was spent on R&D for the "400Z". Nissan also only took 4 years to develop the upcoming Z. They spent nowhere near the time and cost as BimYota.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I feel something has to give. Lighter, more powerful, and cheaper than a Supra and its competitors? Even if it had a cheap interior, that wouldn't make a $20k difference.

Also, this is a game -- I don't think anything other than the NISMO trim which would probably be closer to a $60k car would push these numbers.
I agree re the power only being present in the Nismo trim and I think the price estimate is about right as well (but it's still a ways off and the global economy might change that).

Nissan is an odd fish in that sense. Their Infiniti brand seems to be getting cheaper and less powerful as far as the commonly available trims are concerned, while the Nissan brand gets the GTR and now (potentially) a better Red Sport than a Red Sport (for similar or less money). :rolleyes:

On the other hand, if Toyota makes good on their "3JZ" Supra version - they might be in the same boat eventually, with the most powerful model not being a Lexus branded unit. Of course, I'll believe that when it happens - and if it does, I'll expect it to be more like the LFA where almost no units will be produced and the price will be so exorbitant that no dealerships will ever see one.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Something did give. Instead of making a totally redesign Z from the ground up as originally planned, Nissan basically took the 370z and given it new sheet metal, retuned suspension, upgraded interior, and a VR30.
Although it might grow on me, currently it's a total "butterface" in my book - I'd gladly pay more if they'd just left the 370Z sheet metal on it and changed the rest. :cool:

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Although it might grow on me, currently it's a total "butterface" in my book - I'd gladly pay more if they'd just left the 370Z sheet metal on it and changed the rest. :cool:
I'm assuming you are talking about the front bumper? I'm sure there will be aftermarket support to address that. To each their own, but I think this looks way better than the 370. That car had a short and chubby look and not to mention those awful looking head and taillights.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a few
The 370z is the ugly sister. It looks more like a stretched hot hatch than a sleek sports car.
Dunno what were they thinking with the headlights and tail lights.