• Total voters

turbopk

First Name
Pk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 ford edge(DD)
Having owned a 300zx, and 350z I am not digging the new 400z. But I will have to see it in person and wouldn't mind driving it.

kanpen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FX35 FZ09 Supra A91
The seats in my 370Z were terrible also. A shame because I really liked the exterior looks of the car. The available manual trans for the 400Z will be the decision maker for a lot of people. I would be very impressed if Nissan could make a better automatic than the Supra's 8-speed ZF. It's easily among the best automatic cars I have tried.
Isn't the 400Z getting the Mercedes auto transmission? Nine speed I think. But don't quote me.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I still think the new 86 is more interesting to own (MT) than the 400Z especially while owning the Supra.

Supra Cat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0, 4Runner, Mustang GT/CS, NA Miata
When the Z sends the value of GR Supras tumbling to less than a used 4 door Corolla, I'm going to collect a Supra of every color! ;)

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Isn't the 400Z getting the Mercedes auto transmission? Nine speed I think. But don't quote me.
I read that too. I am just saying the Supra's ZF is exceptionally good. It will be interesting to see what the Z has and how it drives.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
That flat back end is ugly.. much like the c8 without z51 package. Front looks like a robot. I'm certain most people believe the supra looks better, lets hope it stays faster too..

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
If you buy the new Supra Lego, you get a 400Z.

mortavious

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium Absolute Zero
The grill with those headlights looks like it belongs in a Pixar movie

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I honestly would have been perfectly fine with the existing 370Z body, with a better interior (less squeaks/rattles pls) and a modern technology package, maybe replace the slightly derpy headlights and make a few other minor tweaks. Along with whatever engine and transmission they are putting in this new one.

I still like how the 370 / 350 look even though they are ancient. There are parts of the new 400Z I like, but not really digging the front or the way the back flattens out instead of sloping when viewed from the side.

EDIT: the flattened lid on the back might look OK with a spoiler at least.

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
Who is responsible for the front end?? Look at it straight on. Someone designed it and then someone said “that looks great, let’s make THAT!” :doh:

Nissan-Z-Prototype-19.jpg
This is the proto picture. I read that there will likely be a splitter to break it up.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I saw the new Z at the Chicago Auto show. What I noticed.

Overall I like the new Z's style. The Z's front grill looks a lot better in person. The grill has a pattern or texture that helps distract from the simple rectangular shape of the grill. The interior looked a lot nicer than my old 370Z. The dash and technology is welcomed. I think I like the Z dash display more than the Supra. I am still undecided on the overall interior styling. I hope the new Z's seats are a LOT better than the out going 370Z seats. The Z seems like it will be a lot of HP bang for the buck but I wonder how much they can do with the updated 370 chassis? Hopefully they improved the brakes over the 370 brakes.

One interesting thing I noticed. You can tell which cars/designs are popular by how many people are around each car. Crowds naturally gather around what they think is attractive or interesting. The Z was not very popular in terms of generating crowds even though it was a bright yellow color and a brand new design. There was hardly anyone looking at it. And it was highlighted on a display with huge video screens. Granted the Chicago show was only 25% in size and capacity of it's normal show. The crowds attending the show were the same for both the Z and Supra and other cars.

Same with the new BRZ. There was a single Blue 2022 BRZ. Another car/design that failed to draw attention. Hardly anyone was looking at it. I owned a '14 BRZ and liked it a lot. In photos the new BRZ looks radically different. In person the new BRZ did not look so different. I was surprised by how much it was like the old version. It had the new side fender vents and bumps but the overall shape was unmistakably 86/BRZ. Some non-car people did not even realize it was a new updated model.

Toyota had 2 Supras at the show. One was wrapped in a metal pattern with mods. The other Supra was Yellow. No doubt the Supra still attracts a lot of attention. The yellow was a hit. There were always a lot of people around it. I would say the only non-exotics that attracted more attention than the Supra was the C8, Wrangler and the new Bronco. Maybe because both the Wrangler and Bronco had test tracks / obstacle courses to ride. A lot of people were interested in the new full size Bronco.

At the end of the day I feel the new Z is a improvement interior wise and maybe exterior wise. I did not like the driving dynamics of my old 370 much but I did like the shape of the design. I liked the huge rounded rear fenders. The new Z is more subdue. The new Z will definitely be a improvement power wise over the 370. More power is always nice but it's more about balance than power for me. The question for me is how much more did Nissan get out of the aging 370 chassis? Is the new Z more agile feeling and have more composure? How will the automatic version of the Z compare to the bench mark ZF 8-speed of the Supra?

The Z has a Ace in the hole. Nissan offering a manual with the new Z is huge. This alone might be the decision maker for many? Do you want a manual or not? How important or how much of a priority is it?
Sponsored

Last edited: