Nissan Z vs Toyota Supra

Which one gets your vote?

• Total voters

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
We have no idea of performance yet so obviously no comment there. Aesthetically that prototype Z grill is hideous. It's as if the designers just gave up and decided on a generic rectangle? I hope that was the case and not because they needed all that for thermal efficiency. The power upgrade path might be limited by thermal efficiency if they need all of that huge gaping grill for cooling so soon.

The Supra was not love at first sight for me. I mean it took me a while to grow to admire the Supra. I like it quite a bit now after getting used to it. Toyota designers went full tllt to get as close as possible to the concept car. I appreciate the risk they took.

The designers of the Z seem like they ran out of original ideas? They just picked apart design elements from past Z and kind of mashed everything together and used heritage for a excuse for design? I will say the side profile does look decent, probably because it has a slight Jag F-Type shape/silhouette?

The interior is kind of a wash for me between the 2. I wish the Supra dash display had more info. The Z dash looks better from that perspective. The center screen in the Z looks better also. The Supra seats look better to me. I think the carbon fiber center console is a nice touch in the Supra. It's probably just enough carbon fiber to bait buyers into buying more TRD trim parts in the future. lol.

Honestly I am not a Z hater. I owned a 370Z and loved the design of the wide hips/rear fenders. I hope the new Z gets fine tuned a little more design wise.
Sponsored

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Yes, I agree. Point of that post was to explain the reason for the price delta is because it will not be in the same class as the 3.0L Supra. Folks appeared to me that they are thinking $30K is going to buy them a poorman's Supra (ie the 3.0L version).

Anyway, I posted enough about this and my posts are boring so GL everyone.
I would be very surprised if the new Z started at $30K. $30K is BRZ/86 pricing. The 370Z back in 2009 was more then that. I think the Z will probably be priced closer to the 2.0 Supra? The new Z is probably a closer competitor to the 2.0 Supra and Mustang Ecoboost. 2021 will be interesting as far as having choices for fun rear drive sport cars.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Not that the Z's steering wheel is any better, but I like the Z in the middle rather than our Toyota symbol. Has anyone come up with a solution/alternative on that for us?
Anything is better then the huge BMW circular "bumper car" steering wheel on the Supra. TRD or GR should sell a branded replacement steering wheel or air bag cover or horn button.

Last edited:

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat

What do yall think? Vid dropped 3 hrs ago

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Looks like they took the ugliest parts of years past in molded them together...
In my opinion only the side angle looks good...
The front kinda looks like a blowfish and the rear end...did anyone actually like the rear end style of the 300z...

I don't know that'd I pay 40k for this car...just because it might be a unique design doesn't mean it's a good design...

But maybe Nissan isn't trying to gain my business...maybe the car is meant for 20 somethings...

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The front kinda looks like a blowfish and the rear end...did anyone actually like the rear end style of the 300z...

I don't know that'd I pay 40k for this car...just because it might be a unique design doesn't mean it's a good design...

But maybe Nissan isn't trying to gain my business...maybe the car is meant for 20 somethings...
It's definitely more of a Vape Bro car like the Brz IMO but to each their own. I think regardless it will outsell the Supra, so many dang haters and keyboard "Purists" that don't understand why Toyota wanted the B58 or even know what went on to develop the Supra.
40k is a great price for this car, as ugly as it is. If the performance to dollar ratio is there I think it does quite well among younger buyers who can afford it.

Supra Cat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0, 4Runner, Mustang GT/CS, NA Miata
Went to the Nissan (Canada) website to price the 370Z. They still list the 2020 370Z base coupe starting at $30,498.

So I could've had a 6-speed 370Z for 1/2 the price of my fully loaded 21 GR Supra 3.0. But I didn't want a V6, and an old platform, just for the joy of a 6-speed.

These will be in the $30k range because that will be the starting price point. Not the vehicle you'll actually want. And to me, the Proto looks like a re-bumpered 370Z with an updated interior. ;)

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@Sigg...
Definitely not hating on the car...just not for me!!
Ya know the saying seat for every ass...
I definitely think it will out sell the Supra but that's ok with me...I doubt it will have the performance of the supra...not at 30k...

Isn't Nissan using an exciting chassis? So it's pretty much gonna be just a reskin?
I really haven't kept up on Nissan products....since the redesigned the infinite brand...

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Went to the Nissan (Canada) website to price the 370Z. They still list the 2020 370Z base coupe starting at $30,498.

So I could've had a 6-speed 370Z for 1/2 the price of my fully loaded 21 GR Supra 3.0. But I didn't want a V6, and an old platform, just for the joy of a 6-speed.

These will be in the $30k range because that will be the starting price point. Not the vehicle you'll actually want. And to me, the Proto looks like a re-bumpered 370Z with an updated interior. ;)
What's you're guess for the cost top level trim/fully loaded?

AP1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR

Inside it looks better than Supra. Outside - this is debatable. But if Nissan will bring it with 400HP and manual transmission at low to mid forties price - they get a sizable chunk of the market.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@API...
I agree interior looks better...with that said I really don't think the quality will be better then the Supra...

When my wife was looking to replace her jaguar xfs we looked at the infinite red sport...the interior looked nice until you sat in the seats ( which where like cardboard) the interior just lacked...AND the Red Sport has 400hp and still felt SLOW...
You really think Nissan motor company will put a better interior in a 30k car than they do in a 60k car?

I'm not trying to bash Nissan ( I owned a Infiniti m35 for many years it was a great car)...I just think they could do better with at least the styling of the car...

All of this is very subjective....
I personally wouldn't spend my money for this particular car...

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I won't be selling my MKV to get one... but I will be getting one. Not a fan of the exterior and based on a long experience with both Nissan Z's and Infiniti G's.... those seats are most likely going to really suck after an hour of driving.

Although the interior does look to be a few steps ahead of the Z's and G's I've owned in the past... I'm betting it's gonna still feel really cheap. I'm also 99% sure that only the Nismo will get the full 400 treatment (aka Red Sport) and start at ~$52K (at least) - and the base and sport models will just get the standard tuning. Sport will get the brakes at least, and better suspension - but will be closer to $45K. Only the most unsatisfying version with no options will list below $40K (it at all).

So basically it's all "craptastic" - but it's a Z, it comes in a 6-speed manual, and I've got history with Nissan that's mostly favorable - so I'll definitely have one in the garage at some point.

Probably after someone has already eaten the depreciation on it and decided a 2-seater wasn't for them. ;)

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
The Z is gonna be a hit. It has alot going for it...at least on “unofficial” paper. Turbo’s, displacement, manual transmission, and (if what I read is true) a longer wheel base. Even if you hate Nissan’s, how can you hate what Nissan is offering with the upcoming Z? Now, being a manual and under $40k....I still think the MKV Supra will be faster and better quality overall (stock vs stock).
Sponsored