Car(s)
A70, GS300

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Interesting. So JPY6M for the 400ps version which is similar to our Supra would put someone at $57.4K as of today. That sounds about right.

If one's going to buy a Z to compare to a Supra, should go for the top of the line or Nismo anyway.
I direct conversion from yen to usd isn't so straight forward. It is best to compare prices in Japan for a better comparison

For reference the 4 cylinder Supra starts at 4.9 million yen, the 6 cylinder is 6.9 million, and the GRMN to be well above that.

■ Estimated price of the new Fairlady Z (Relative Supra trim in parentheses based on price)
● Base grade (304ps) /4.5 million yen
● Version S (304ps) / 5 million yen - (GR Supra SZ / 4.9 million yen)
● Version T (304ps) / 5 million yen
● Version ST (405ps) / 6 million yen - (GR Supra SZ-R / 5.9 million yen)
● NISMO (405) ~ 450ps) / 7 million yen - (GR Supra RZ / 6.9 million yen)

The Z undercuts the Supra across the board. For the same price as the 6 cylinder Supra, you get the Nismo Z

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So if you were Japanese, then people would ask you why you didn't get the better car, aka pricier Supra.

They have a funny culture where things don't sell well, if it's a specialty item, they will increase the price instead of lowering it which drives up more interest for status.

So not sure how Japanese culture applies to how things are priced in the USA.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
So if you were Japanese, then people would ask you why you didn't get the better car, aka pricier Supra.

They have a funny culture where things don't sell well, if it's a specialty item, they will increase the price instead of lowering it which drives up more interest for status.

So not sure how Japanese culture applies to how things are priced in the USA.
There are perfectly valid reasons behind choosing a Z over a Supra regardless of the Supra being better.

1. They are Nissan fans.
2. 6MT.
3. People want to financially support Nissan for making this product in house.
4. Styling/Design.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
Wait until people see the actual prices, then we can decide. It's going to be way more expensive than some people think.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Wait until people see the actual prices, then we can decide. It's going to be way more expensive than some people think.
Again, we have to be clear on which trim we are talking about.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I agree. And the 300ps version will be no comparison to the 3.0L Supra no matter how hard they try, is my guess. Considering I was a 370Z owner back in the day, along with G35C and other Nissan/Infiniti I've owned and driven as rental cars, I know what Nissan is like. My expectation is low.

OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I agree. And the 300ps version will be no comparison to the 3.0L Supra no matter how hard they try, is my guess. Considering I was a 370Z owner back in the day, along with G35C and other Nissan/Infiniti I've owned and driven as rental cars, I know what Nissan is like. My expectation is low.
I would think a 300hp Z would take aim at the 255hp 2.0 Supra.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
of course the 300hp Z will be no match for the the 382 Supra. I’m going to go out on a limb and say they aren’t trying to beat the 3.0 Supra with the 300hp Z and instead are targeting the 2.0 Supra with that trim.

Assuming the 300hp Z is positioned below the Q60 base coupe, that would mean the 300hp Z is cheaper than the the 2.0 Supra and will be available with a 6mt

SunbirdGTO

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 1986 Mitsubishi Starion
I got to go with the Supra
One cupholder, Nissan?!

PicsArt_09-28-12.06.33.jpg

PicsArt_09-28-12.04.39.jpg
Not that the Z's steering wheel is any better, but I like the Z in the middle rather than our Toyota symbol. Has anyone come up with a solution/alternative on that for us?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would think a 300hp Z would take aim at the 255hp 2.0 Supra.
Yes, I agree. Point of that post was to explain the reason for the price delta is because it will not be in the same class as the 3.0L Supra. Folks appeared to me that they are thinking $30K is going to buy them a poorman's Supra (ie the 3.0L version).

Anyway, I posted enough about this and my posts are boring so GL everyone.

OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Yes, I agree. Point of that post was to explain the reason for the price delta is because it will not be in the same class as the 3.0L Supra. Folks appeared to me that they are thinking $30K is going to buy them a poorman's Supra (ie the 3.0L version).

Anyway, I posted enough about this and my posts are boring so GL everyone.
Likewise, I see your point. Regardless I do think a 300hp and 400hp version of the Z will still undercut their Supra counterpart. Nissan hasn't spent anywhere near what Toyota has with R&D. Historically the Z has been priced lower as well.

As others have said, let's just wait for official numbers.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Not that the Z's steering wheel is any better, but I like the Z in the middle rather than our Toyota symbol. Has anyone come up with a solution/alternative on that for us?
I think the Z looks a lot sportier without the bottom center being filled up.
Sponsored