OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
So basically it's all "craptastic" - but it's a Z, it comes in a 6-speed manual, and I've got history with Nissan that's mostly favorable - so I'll definitely have one in the garage at some point.

Probably after someone has already eaten the depreciation on it and decided a 2-seater wasn't for them. ;)
Some people are wanting to do the same for the Zupra. :p

The Z is gonna be a hit. It has alot going for it...at least on “unofficial” paper. Turbo’s, displacement, manual transmission, and (if what I read is true) a longer wheel base. Even if you hate Nissan’s, how can you hate what Nissan is offering with the upcoming Z? Now, being a manual and under $40k....I still think the MKV Supra will be faster and better quality overall (stock vs stock).
Agree, especially if it will just have a small price increase as suggested by some.

Idk, if it was your typical Toyota product I would say yes, but after having a hand full of both BMWs and Nissans the first thought that came to mind regarding quality is "pick your poison". :lol:

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
i think its a double standard when it comes to old platforms. everyone whines about how the upcoming Z35 is based on the Z34, but not a word about how the 981 and 982 are pretty much the same car with different front and rear treatment and the lose of the flat-6 for a crappy sounding flat-4.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
i think its a double standard when it comes to old platforms. everyone whines about how the upcoming Z35 is based on the Z34, but not a word about how the 981 and 982 are pretty much the same car with different front and rear treatment and the lose of the flat-6 for a crappy sounding flat-4.
A lot of people view the 981/982 as more of a refresh rather than a totally new redesign. I think it was just a marketing thing. With that said I will give them a pass because the 981 came out in 2012. The 370z has been around since 2009.

In other words it will be nearly 12 years by the time the 400z reaches showrooms. On the other hand the 982 will continue until 2023. Giving the 981/982 a 11 year lifecycle.

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring
The new Z has actually grown on me quite a bit. When I first saw it I didn't like it at all. After seeing more pictures and watching videos on it I am really liking how they are trying to combine the new with the old. I also like the interior as well and how they laid some of it out. (besides the 1 cup holder)

Do I like it more than the Supra? No, but I am obviously extremely biased. I am really happy so far with my purchase and I wouldn't want to trade it for anything right now....Although...if the rumored S2000 does eventually come out then that may be a different story....

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Idk, if it was your typical Toyota product I would say yes, but after having a hand full of both BMWs and Nissans the first thought that came to mind regarding quality is "pick your poison". :lol:
It's funny because after having my hands full of Toyotas... with almost nothing but problems - I've found my Bimmeryota to be a refreshing change. Don't get me wrong, my 4Runner is bulletproof and never needs anything. But the last 4 Lexus models (including the new one) are full of flaws and requiring numerous trips to the dealership for repairs and/or recalls.

Although my 350Z definitely had it's share as well (like new engine under warranty after fighting for almost a year with corporate problems)... my G37 had only 1 recall and 70K trouble-free miles. So hard to say for sure. Toyota of 2020 is a very far cry from Toyota of 2000 (or earlier) - IMO at least.

I definitely no longer consider reliability to be a given if the badge has a T or an L on it (unless it's from before ~2010).

Side looks ok, not a fan of the rear but that grill is hideous.
Still undecided which grill design is worse, this or the new M4.
I think so as well... it's funny someone mentioned a Mustang in regards to the rear... because the front of it reminds me an awful lot of this:
1614769240434.png

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
It's funny because after having my hands full of Toyotas... with almost nothing but problems
I've heard a lot of things in my life but that is definitely a first. lmao

OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
It's funny because after having my hands full of Toyotas... with almost nothing but problems - I've found my Bimmeryota to be a refreshing change. Don't get me wrong, my 4Runner is bulletproof and never needs anything. But the last 4 Lexus models (including the new one) are full of flaws and requiring numerous trips to the dealership for repairs and/or recalls.

Although my 350Z definitely had it's share as well (like new engine under warranty after fighting for almost a year with corporate problems)... my G37 had only 1 recall and 70K trouble-free miles. So hard to say for sure. Toyota of 2020 is a very far cry from Toyota of 2000 (or earlier) - IMO at least.

I definitely no longer consider reliability to be a given if the badge has a T or an L on it (unless it's from before ~2010).
You're right. Toyota did have their dark period. I'm going to use their best selling cars for example which I happened owned and I'm sure many on here have too. Both the XV40 Camry (2006–2011) and XU30 RX (2003–2007) were subpar when it came to quality. I think their predecessors were much better cars. My 05 Camry and 99 RX300 were great cars with no real issues. They had 200k and 250k on the clock before "upgrading". However, the issues I experienced (mainly dash cracking and fluid leaks) were still nothing major and much cheaper to repair compared to the German (electrical & computer modules) and French/Japanese (CVTs) cars I had later.

No car or car company is going to be 100% prefect. Every carmaker will still product a lemon here and there, yes even Toyota and Lexus are not immune to this. However, they still rank top 5 top on pretty much every quality & dependability test/survey.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No car or car company is going to be 100% prefect. Every carmaker will still product a lemon here and there, yes even Toyota and Lexus are not immune to this. However, they still rank top 5 top on pretty much every quality & dependability test/survey.
True... and compared to the spontaneous combustion recently plaguing some of the Korean models - I'll take fuel pumps, airbags, headlights, window motors, etc. failing any day! :eek:

My biggest complaints with the more recent Toyota's I've owned centers around the transmissions and drive-by-wire implementations. The RX's (2015 & 2020) both had/have massive issues in this regard. Even my RC-F was a disaster... it just had enough torque to power through those problems.

In the Cayman and the MKV I very rarely encounter a "WTF are you doing?" situation where the trans or throttle controller seem to do exactly the opposite of what is necessary (and what is specified via the pedals). In the newer Toyota's I always feel like I'm merely suggesting what I want and the car has entirely different opinions on everything. While that doesn't technically make them unreliable... it definitely makes them unpredictable (and unsafe) in many situations. Sure there's paddles... but even they seem to want to think about things for a few seconds after clicking.

I doubt I'd be interested in a manual RX or Camry, even if they made such a thing - but a nice linear throttle with intelligent shift programming and gear ratios isn't all that hard... many other companies have pulled it off. It's sad how "sporty" my SR5 V6 4Runner feels in comparison to an RX F-Sport that's over a decade newer.

Sorry for the off-topic... back to the Z... no problems expected - three pedals solves that (unless there's really bad turbo-lag... but with 2 that's unlikely). :drive: On the other hand, even the Nissan 7A wasn't nearly as bad as the Toyota 8A's have been - and it was 10 years older.

@supraboi - I really wanted to watch more of that YT video you posted, but until he gets a 3-axis gimbal for that camera... it's far too nauseating. :puke:

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've heard a lot of things in my life but that is definitely a first. lmao
Going in for my fuel pumps recall on the 2020 RX this week... had it in shop for 10 days (4X) so far in 3500 miles of use. Between the 2008 IS350, 2015 RX, 2016 RC-F, and 2020 RX - I've had over 12 weeks of "loaner driving" in the past 10 years.

To be fair... no Toyota has ever left me completely stranded on the side of the road... but the electrical problems alone have been a disaster. My in-laws have a Tacoma and a pair of Corollas... all with over 300K on them and running strong (but they're manuals without any options). My parents on the other hand have had issues with their ES300H but not their RAV4... so I guess it all comes down to the "badge" on it. ;)

I'll probably never sell my 4Runner, and I like my Supra... but I'll never buy another Lexus as long as I live. On the other hand... I never had a single problem with my G37 and the only recall took 1 day and was purely "preventative" and not mechanical. Maybe I'm just really unlucky.

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
I like the new Z styling. Only concern is since it is a bit of a retro look, so it may look outdated very quickly (like the 5th gen Mustang, it looked cool when it came out, but that front end got dated sooner than I thought).

I just hope the new Z will come with a real LSD (mechanical or electronic as long as is not the typical Nissan viscous LSD). Other wish list is more adjustability in camber and toe from factory would be a win.

kanpen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FX35 FZ09 Supra A91
Curious about cayman vs supra overall. How much am I missing out not owning a cayman?
I have the same question. Anyone driven a Cayman to compare? I could get a CPO Cayman for about the same price as a new Supra.

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
I loathe the straight on front view of the new Z...everything else looks alright and the interior seems to be nice as well.
Sponsored