Warranty issue- vibration 2021 Supra

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2015 Subaru Forester, 1994 S10 pickup
I posted some weeks ago a description of vibration felt in the steering wheel of my new Supra. It's a resonating, fine vibration present in speed range 68- 8o mph.
Toyota dealer techs (2) say there is no issue, that this is normal, that its inherent in how the suspension and steering transmit road feel.
So I'm asking you owners of 2021 unmodified Supras- does your car exhibit this slight vibration described above? I've not found another GR91 6 cylinder car to compard.
Thanks in advance for any who can respond with similar issue.
I really don't need guesses of diagnoses of the issue- just if others have this issue in their cars.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Excellent suggestion. I'll have it looked at. To date two local dealer service departments have JUST NOT been helpful.

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No, that's set at minimum and vibration is present regardless of lane position.

Reactions: zrk

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I have a very small vibration in my wheel at about 72mph. I am pretty certain my wheels need to be balanced. Haven't had it done yet as it doesn't really bother me too much.

Have you had your wheels balanced?

Edit: Alignment from the factory is garbage. Maybe look into that as well.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
I posted some weeks ago a description of vibration felt in the steering wheel of my new Supra. It's a resonating, fine vibration present in speed range 68- 8o mph.
Toyota dealer techs (2) say there is no issue, that this is normal, that its inherent in how the suspension and steering transmit road feel.
So I'm asking you owners of 2021 unmodified Supras- does your car exhibit this slight vibration described above? I've not found another GR91 6 cylinder car to compard.
I really don't need guesses of diagnoses of the issue- just if others have this issue in their cars.
I'm experiencing the same condition as you.

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Appointment scheduled next week with a local suspension/alignment shop . Toyota dealer service might be good in some circumstances but not this one. " This is normal, it's not a problem" just doesnt give one much to go on. Better description is a high frequdncy, low amplitude shudder.

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Have you contacted the dealer and what was their response?

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
I don't have any resonating or vibrations at any speed that I've noticed. How are your roads there? Alignment settings, tires balanced, etc?
Maybe try a different Toyota dealer?

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The issue is most noticeable on smooth road surfaces. To date I've tried to work with the selling dealer, Toyota Customer Service , a second Toyota dealer and a Toyota Case tech rep in that order.
Toyota dealer techs say it's just road surface resonance interaction with the suspension and steering. Toyota says the dealer techs " are our eyes and ears and we rely on what they tell us".
So I'm going the independent shop route where their expertise determines their business success- they do good work or their reputation suffers.
Next week I've booked an appointment with reputable shop and we'll see what they have to say.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Have you inspected the tires? These cars are pretty quick to let you know when tires aren't perfect.

Reactions: mrd
OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tires are the most likely issue. A friend, experienced, competent Porche tech drove the car yesterday, says he thinks tire tread design is likely the source.

OP
OP

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
We'll know more next week but the focus will be tires.
As for Toyota and local dealers I havent given up on someone stepping up and trying to sort this out. Disappointed, Yes but this is a perfect storm of a BMW product, limited sales, pushed on family car techs unused to working on over engineered, idiosyncratic cars. Then place that with corporate Toyota which is said to be tough to convince on warrantable items- it's difficult for a particular customer unaccustomed to driving a beautiful special car like the Supra that has a unique issue on driving quality.
Sponsored

Reactions: mrd