Went to dealer for recall was offered a deal on used 17' Z06...

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
So me and my wife have a buddy who is a Toyota Master tech and he let me know that the brake recall is fixable now...so we went to the dealer and booked the appointment just to have an excuse to take the Supra out for a nice Saturday drive.

When I got there I saw on the used lot a yellow 17' Corvette Z06. I come from Corvette land, Miata land, Z car land so I decide to just take a walk around before I leave. I see a sales lady walking up and I kindly tell her I'm just looking and I just got a 21' Supra 2 months ago. She says well how much do you owe...I tell her my Supra was 57k out the door and I'm not looking for a car right now. Corvette was $70k with 42k miles auto Z07 3LT. She said what if I can get you that for your Supra would you be interested in the vette? To which I responded not for $70k.

Long story short, she went in and talked to here manager...and they were willing to give me 55k for my Supra and drop the Z06 price to 67k...There wasn't much back and forth either to get that deal.

It really had me sit down and think about the Supra. I've always lusted after the C7 Z06...especially after owning a stingray for 5 years and 90+K miles. The corvette had a faded CF top....ewww...but everything else was great . I can say yea that was a good deal...but after an hour or so I passed.

After thinking about it...I realized that the Supra is just a better car for me. I was cross shopping Z06 vette when shopping for the Supra but owning the Supra for 2 months really showed me how good the car is. If this deal would have been around before I bought the Supra I would have never owned a Supra....Glad I gave the Supra it's chance because I'd have missed out!
Sponsored

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
So me and my wife have a buddy who is a Toyota Master tech and he let me know that the brake recall is fixable now...so we went to the dealer and booked the appointment just to have an excuse to take the Supra out for a nice Saturday drive.

When I got there I saw on the used lot a yellow 17' Corvette Z06. I come from Corvette land, Miata land, Z car land so I decide to just take a walk around before I leave. I see a sales lady walking up and I kindly tell her I'm just looking and I just got a 21' Supra 2 months ago. She says well how much do you owe...I tell her my Supra was 57k out the door and I'm not looking for a car right now. Corvette was $70k with 42k miles auto Z07 3LT. She said what if I can get you that for your Supra would you be interested in the vette? To which I responded not for $70k.

Long story short, she went in and talked to here manager...and they were willing to give me 55k for my Supra and drop the Z06 price to 67k...There wasn't much back and forth either to get that deal.

It really had me sit down and think about the Supra. I've always lusted after the C7 Z06...especially after owning a stingray for 5 years and 90+K miles. The corvette had a faded CF top....ewww...but everything else was great . I can say yea that was a good deal...but after an hour or so I passed.

After thinking about it...I realized that the Supra is just a better car for me. I was cross shopping Z06 vette when shopping for the Supra but owning the Supra for 2 months really showed me how good the car is. If this deal would have been around before I bought the Supra I would have never owned a Supra....Glad I gave the Supra it's chance because I'd have missed out!
There was a reason they wanted to offload that Z06. Your Supra has way more appeal and they can ask more for it.

Giving up 5 years worth of tech and safety features would be hard to do. Glad you kept the Supra.

-RJM

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Iā€™m not sure about where you live but c7 stingray/zo6 are dime a dozen near me. This Supra is a small market, which gives us a great sports car still on the rare side

OP
OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Iā€™m not sure about where you live but c7 stingray/zo6 are dime a dozen near me. This Supra is a small market, which gives us a great sports car still on the rare side
Im from South TX and corvette prices are pretty inflated right now. I found a 2016 Z06 with 4K miles that I liked but they wanted 80k. All the good ones are mid to high 70s around here.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Im from South TX and corvette prices are pretty inflated right now. I found a 2016 Z06 with 4K miles that I liked but they wanted 80k. All the good ones are mid to high 70s around here.
Just wait. The price of the used C7 market will see a huge drop. like most cars. But they made so many C7ā€™s, unless you have something like a ZR1 with a manual itā€™s going to correct.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Just wait. The price of the used C7 market will see a huge drop. like most cars. But they made so many C7ā€™s, unless you have something like a ZR1 with a manual itā€™s going to correct.
It really is a nutty market. $10k more for the Z51 I was looking at in December. Right at $10K. Wow.

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
I seriously had my mind set on a nice C7, I was thinking a Z51 or Gran Sport would make me happy. Stopped off at a Toyota dealership after breakfast on a weekend just to show the wife the other possibilities. She liked the color, asked if I wanted it, and the rest is history. Real glad not to be one of the 'vette horde and in something a lot more unique.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Z06's are me too cars, everyone and their mother has one where I live. Glad you kept the MKV.

OP
OP
YellowJacket

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
I seriously had my mind set on a nice C7, I was thinking a Z51 or Gran Sport would make me happy. Stopped off at a Toyota dealership after breakfast on a weekend just to show the wife the other possibilities. She liked the color, asked if I wanted it, and the rest is history. Real glad not to be one of the 'vette horde and in something a lot more unique.
You know the Supra is my 20th sports car...in my sports car ownership. It kinda brings everything to the table I've loved about all my cars. I gotta say I'm pretty unexpectedly happy with the supra, I'm not even sure if I want the C8 now...even if the C8 were to come back to earth.

My wife was also the instigator in the Supra purchase....she's always seen this sports car thing as my thing...but she loved it and she likes driving it....kinda cool to be looking at car mods with your wife...lol. First for me.

jbretthorton

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Premium
LOL.... I just sold my near perfect 2016 Z06 for my 2021 3.0.... Supra is a much better car IMO

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
82592A52-D382-4B4F-909B-1BE288C9B3DE.jpeg

I have both the Sup and a C7. ? just not a Z06... but they're both yellow! ? but yeah, the Supra is a better car overall, the Supra gets driven waaaay more, i bought the supra 3-4 months after the vette, the supra has 16,8xx miles already while the vette is stuck around 1,7xx. ? Good thing you stayed with the Sup! There's more to the Supra in some weird way than there is to the vette... probably like what @Escapist said, it's a "me too" car... or a "i'm retired with a midlife crisis car"

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
You've got a lot of restraint. The Z06 would've tempted me too but you probably did the right thing in the end. 40K miles, four year-old sports car, some wear & tear, plus C8 Z06 right around the corner... that $70K-ish used car might fetch $45K in a year's time or so....

This used car bubble cuts both ways just like the housing market. The fact that I see dealers and private parties trying to pawn off used cars at new car prices still shocks me, but I can't help but be tempted by the idea of pretty much zero depreciation on my car after a year's time...
Sponsored