What Don't You Like About Your New Supra?

NotSoJDM

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GarageTherapyNC.com
Car(s)
'04 E55 AMG | '13 BRZ Limited | '18 ZL1 1LE | '20 Supra LE
I am curious to see what other peoples gripes are with the car. Here's my current list:

1) Wind Buffeting with the windows down above 50mph.

2) Unused space on the gauge cluster! This is a performance car, and had so much track publicity, but I can't see anything other than fuel/coolant temp (non-numerical) on the dash! Why is there so much display real estate unused unless you have navigation on?! Why are simple things like BOOST, OIL TEMP, TIRE PRESS, TIRE TEMP not able to be toggled on the cluster?

3) Having to power down the radio after the ignition.* (My dealer told me this is the proper method, I haven't tried just leaving it on overnight to see what happens)

4) Infotainment navigation is not intuitive, for me personally.

5) The cigarette outlet is right in front of the wireless charger, so don't plug anything in there like a radar detector if you want to get your phone out of the wireless charger!

6) Buzz in the dash at 3500rpms. Accel/Decel, any gear, as soon as I hit 3500rpms I get a buzzing sound and of course its from inside the dead center of the dash.

7) No trunk release mechanism on the outside of the car. Must use key fob or switch on door.
Sponsored

Last edited:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
3) Having to power down the radio after the ignition.* (My dealer told me this is the proper method, I haven't tried just leaving it on overnight to see what happens)
If this is anything like other modern BMWs, pressing the Start/Stop button again after you turn off the car (with your foot off the brake obviously) or locking the car with your keyfob will turn off radio

Last edited:

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
What do you mean by point 3? The radio stays on after you have turned the engine off? I've seen quite a few cars do that and the radio cuts out after the drivers door opens. Is that not the case with the Supra? Seems like a headache to have to do it all separately!

SlowGTR

First Name
Chris Hill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Ferrari 458 / 2016 Nissan GT-R
Vehicle Showcase
My radio turns off when I open the door. Thats weird what youre having to do.

The wind buffering is ridiculous

Bruins71

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, Highlander,Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
The wind buffering is stupid , visibility out the back is tiny, the engine turning off at a stop is gonna take a bit to get used to.
I may shut that off. The lane assist thing is also annoying .
BUT the car is sweet !:)

SlowGTR

First Name
Chris Hill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Ferrari 458 / 2016 Nissan GT-R
Vehicle Showcase
The wind buffering is stupid , visibility out the back is tiny, the engine turning off at a stop is gonna take a bit to get used to.
I was able to turn off the auto shut off at lights easily and it stays off. Same thing with the lane assist.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Most of that stuff you can turn off. I know im turning most if not all that stuff off when i get mine. But the radio should shut off when you open the door.
Side note, dont open or close the doors when you're flashing these cars. it turns off the DME (ECU).

OP
OP
NotSoJDM

NotSoJDM

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GarageTherapyNC.com
Car(s)
The first thing I did after driving it for a few miles was disable the lane assist and the brake alert stuff. Also, putting it in Sport or putting it in manual shift mode both disable the start/stop junk.

OP
OP
NotSoJDM

NotSoJDM

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GarageTherapyNC.com
Car(s)
If this is anything like other modern BMWs, pressing the Start/Stop button again after you turn off the car (with your foot off the brake obviously) or locking the car with your keyfob will turn off radio
I'll give it a shot when I get the car back from paint protection. Thanks for the tip.

LaredoHK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Lancer Sportback
The cigarette outlet is right in front of the wireless charger, so don't plug anything in there like a radar detector if you want to get your phone out of the wireless charger!
I'm curious if this area is more crowded on the LE due to the wireless charging. Is the charger a "pad" that is on top, or is it sort of baked in a flush mounted?

OP
OP
NotSoJDM

NotSoJDM

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GarageTherapyNC.com
Car(s)
I'm curious if this area is more crowded on the LE due to the wireless charging. Is the charger a "pad" that is on top, or is it sort of baked in a flush mounted?
The wireless charging is more of a recessed slot actually. It reminds me a lot of a sunglasses holder. Basically you slide the phone down into the recessed area and there is a thin plastic 'cage' over top of the phone.

splions

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tacoma
Little storage space in the cabin. Auto off when at a stop light. Lane assist is becoming annoying. A little difficult getting in and out. Must turn off the radio every time you get out of the car.

whostorm05

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 1991 Pontiac TransAm
"the engine turning off at a stop"

Please tell me that you only have to turn that off once and not every trip?

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
Y'all are talking like you haven't driven in a modern car.

Disable auto start-stop if you don't like it, or put the car in sport mode.

Tailor the radio behavior to your preference. You can have it shut off when you open the door, or shut off when you lock the door, or another couple options.

BMW's iDrive is highly customizable and has a zillion options (and what it doesn't show you can be changed via coding). So there won't be much to complain about if you take the time to browse all the settings.