Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
Howdy,

Coming from 6 years of MX5, the cabin and trunk space is like the Grand Canyon. (But never doubt the carrying capacity of an MX5 on a sunny day)

After living with the car a few months, I'm kind of stuck on how to best use the space. It seems to me that the volume of space above the woofer is wasted space. I call it the Woofer Zone :)

From the trunk perspective, you have to really bend into the trunk to reach far enough in to retrieve an item. If you place a large container in trunk you can't slide it back there because of the woofer box. If you place many small items then a stiff brake will cause items to shift into the zone -- making them hard to retrieve. About the only practical use from the space from the back is if you have golf clubs or buying lumber from Home Depot. In other words, next to never.

From the cabin perspective, you can place a purse, back pack, or even paperwork after buying the car. But one quick accel (which is why you bought the car) and its all over the back of the trunk. Now you get to open the trunk to retrieve the item you likely wanted from the cabin.

Quick search of the forum shows a couple of people using a net or leather to block the woofer zone from the cabin. Effectively ceding the zone to the trunk -- which it is only mildly useful. I've also seen people hang things from the net or from the silver bar.

Anyways.. just curious what others do with this 10 or so cubic foot void.

Thx.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Are we talking about the rear glove box? :dunno:

I keep a $15 Chinese organizer which stores a liter of BMW oil, Stabil360, some misc tools, disposable gloves, detailer spray for any bird crappage, tire inflator, etc. Nothig else, I only drive the car about 1000 miles a year and mostly my garage queen.

OP
OP
Awales74

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
WooferZone.PNG

Imagine I want to place my wife's purse, a bag of snacks or a couple of sodas BUT I don't want this to fall into trunk. Imagine I have things stacked in the trunk that I'd rather not have fall in this area (hard to reach from trunk).

Optionally consider the space over the woofers to the left and right of this space.

Or imagine this was a back seat that no human would sit on and what you could do with one of those.

Currently I imagine a tray that has a lip at the back to keep things from sliding to the trunk. Would sit flush in the center area but raised on left and right to fit over the speakers.